“Incredible” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
Mauritius
“Incredible”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My family and I( 2A+ 2C) spent 2 nights only in this hotel and I can assure you it was paradise on earth. The service is the best we' ve experienced so far in Mauritius, it' s fast and effective. The employees are caring and always have time to answer to your slightest query or question. A few names worth remembering, among the lot :Preetum, Jean Pierre and Oliver.
The food is fine if you like the fusion style, I did but it was hard for my 8 years daughter. Luckily Preetum was here with French fries and Pizza. He literally lives there, with a smile in bonus.
Jean Pierre saved my resolution of the year: getting back to sports. This guy gives you invaluable tips and tricks that no training coach would. He not only makes a living out of sport but he made it a living philosophy.
What makes Angsana Balaclava a class above is simply its personnel.

2 Thank Clement W
BTGroup, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Valued guest,

I am honoured to read that you found Angsana Balaclava Mauritius to be Paradise on earth and I would like to thank you for sharing your delightful comments and for choosing our resort for your recent holidays.

As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details and as we strive to create a memorable stay for our guests, I am especially encouraged by your positive feedback on our service standards.

I am also delighted to learn that your year’s resolution of getting back to sports has been saved by a member of our staff during your stay here. Keep it up!.

Thank you for commenting on our fusion style food. Our Balinese Chef and his team continuously work on improving and innovating new ideas and menus to make it a memorable experience for each guest.

Pascal Prigent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We really enjoyed the stay in this hotel. Everybody was very kind and helpful. The food was delicious. I really appreciated the gym lessons with Jean-Pierre. He gave me some good exercises which I can do (I am pregnant). So for pregnant woman its just a good choice!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

3 Thank katringasser
BTGroup, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Katrin,

There is no greater pleasure than receiving kind words from a valued guest and I am thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay at Angsana Balaclava.

As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details and it is always encouraging to know that you found our team kind and helpful. Thank you for your comment regarding our food which you found delicious.

Our Balinese Chef and his team continuously work on improving and innovating new ideas and menus to make it a memorable experience for each guest. I am especially glad that Jean-Pierre and his gym lessons made an impressive mark on you.

Your gracious comments have been passed to our personnel, which will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

I trust you had a safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back to a pleasant rest and wonderful sunset at Angsana Balaclava or to any of our other resorts worldwide.

Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed 8 Jan to 22 Jan '13, a full 2 weeks. We had been warned by friends that we'd be bored out of our minds after just a week - as we normally took cruising holidays, we had some misgivings that we'd made the right choice of static hotel, duration and destination. We'd devoted a lot of time to select this hotel, having considered all the well known alternatives The location of the Angsana gave us initial concern as there are no nearby restaurants or bars - but found that this wasn't an issue, as once we got into the rest and relaxation mode, we didn't really feel the need to go or look outside.
We'd rented a car from the airport (easy roads and driving) so we had the 1st 3 days sightseeing - so after that - we were more than happy to relax in the hotel.
We had two different rooms - the first 3 nights in a garden room - then upgraded into a Spa room with its own plunge pool and view of the sea and sunsets. Both rooms were excellent, roomy and well appointed - and we initially had to think hard about moving into the Spa room as the Garden room was so good. Glad we did - as we had many a sundowner on that Spa terrace!The hotel is exceptionally well designed - rooms don't seem to overlook each other - and we never heard any noise from neighbours. It's a compact resort - easy to find your way around - with pools and an excellent beach - none of which were ever busy. We could always find a sunbed, no matter what time of the day. No need for towel reserving! All staff are anxious to please and go over and above to please.
The restaurant was designed that you could eat outside or on raised covered terraces alongside, or inside. We achieved eating outside most of the time - the weather being the decider. The weather was circa 80 to 90 all day - with some occasional rain; we had one thunderstorm overnight. A highlight was the food. Half Board was provided - and the menu choices were excellent. Plenty of choice, with the menu changed daily. We are frequent travellers on Seabourn Cruises (6 Star) - and the food was nearly to this level.
The Chef, who visited each table nightly, showed his Balinese background with Asian fusion choices plus steaks, duck and lots of fish - all well presented.Dining service could be a little slow - but we had no need to rush, so we just enjoyed the unhurried pace, under the stars.The Spa was a great amenity too - beautiful.
Overall, 2 weeks was great, we loved Mauritius, the hotel, the food and the people.
Got to go back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

2 Thank wykeham2016
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your delightful comments and for choosing our resort for your recent holidays.

I am thrilled to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details and I am especially encouraged by your positive feedbacks on our service standards

As we strive to create a memorable stay for our guests, it is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your room upgrade to a spa suite. Our spa suites have been created especially so that our guests can attain holiday bliss without stepping out and I am glad you could enjoy its comfort to the maximum and felt that you were in a relaxation mode.

Thank you for commenting about our architecture and set up and for trying our restaurants. We deeply value knowing that our restaurants met with your expectations and that our wide variety of food and changing menus were nearly up to a 6 star level. Our Balinese Chef and his team continuously work on improving and innovating new ideas and menus to make it a memorable experience for each guest.

Mauritius
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

The answer to the question in the title is-NO. And this is mostly because of the value for money aspect.
We stayed at the Angsana over a week-end in February. We chose it because it sells itself as a luxury boutique hotel, with an implication of a spa retreat.
Let's start with the positives.
Rooms: we booked a Spa suite. The suite was large, well appointed, with an individual plunge pool, everything worked. Very clean as well. Huge bathroom, loads of storage space.
Service: lovely and personal but I have no clue whether it was like that because there were few guests in the hotel when we arrived, or this is how it always is.
Food: dinners were outstanding. The Balinese chef is an absolute star. The hotel has only one restaurant, plus several options for private dining (which is nice if you're on honeymoon, I suppose); the menu changes every night and it's not that horrible 5 star all inclusive staple, the buffet. There's a fair choice of appetizers, mains and deserts, some asian, some fusion, some european. Really well cooked, well presented, well served. Wine selection was adequate as well.
Spa: the therapist was lovely and quite skilled.
Beach and pools: small, clean and well kept.

Now for the negatives (and please note that I'm only making these comments in the context of the price we were charged. I would probably never mention any of the below had the hotel priced itself in a lower range. After all, you get what you paid for!):
Room and overall architecture: they told me the hotel is new but frankly, I could have sworn it was built at the same time as all other 5 stars in Mauritius (just perhaps maintained a bit better)-it looks and feels exactly the same as any other luxury hotel here. The ONE architect/designer on the island must be very, very rich indeed (and also very old and bored!). Interior design is dull and dark. Dark wood, dark stone, beige tiles, some grey here and there, and the odd orange splash. Blah. Ammenities are average or below, I hate the wet-room type shower which floods the whole floor around the bath. Close your eyes, you could be in any chain business hotel anywhere (with a mock-tropical decor; yes, it felt fake). Also, we had booked these suites for the private plunge pools. We could not use them as the hotel suffers from a bad infestation with "mouche jaune". That's the wasp from Hades for all non-mauritians out there. They are huge and aggressive and when they sting, it hurts like you won't imagine. There's no way I would have put myself on their path (or my baby, for that matter). We specifically asked for interconnecting suites (which we were told on booking, is possible). For some reason we were given two rooms on different floors (they said it was because they preferred that the baby is closer to the lift, still I don't understand why we could not have two rooms next to each other or at least on the same floor!).
Service: the poor waiters at breakfast seemed really tired and harassed on our second day, when the hotel had filled up. Their uniforms and the fact the management allows them to wear crocs made it look as if they were the gardeners who just happened to come in and lend a hand. One waitress bumped into a client while loaded with dirty dishes, threw a perfunctory "sorry" then left-no one apologized properly to the guest for the dirty t-shirt that was the result of the colision. The spilled food and liquid bits spent quite some time on the floor before someone came and cleared them. Our order of hot breakfast was messed up (they forgot parts of the order, my Spanish omlet somehow turned into a vegetable omlet etc). One of our suites was not cleaned for a whole day, I asked for fresh towels twice before they were brought in. In the afternoon, there were no beach towels at the main swimmingpool.
Food: the dinners were nice, but the rest of the food-just average. The selection of cold food, bread and pastries at breakfast was so-so, the fruits had been cut and standing in the open for quite a while (they had gone dry on the surface); although I had notified them I'm allergic to peanuts, there were nuts in several pastries and this was not indicated on a label (small thing I know but then again emergency facilities are not all that great here); we had a croque monsieur at lunch, nothing to write home about either. The coffee at breakfast is just as bad as the coffee in most Mauritian hotels (bar one group, which has invested in really nice coffee). The coffee in the rooms is better (Nespresso machines with pods) but then again, there is no real milk in the rooms, only that horrendous creamer powder, so no coffee in the room then, either.
Spa: there's nothing special about it at all. I would say it's just averagely competent. I don't know who makes their products but at best they were indifferent, and at worst (my body scrub concotion) they reaked. I had a lip wax, and although my therapist was lovely, it was done in such dim light that all I ultimately got in the process was a hot, sore, irritated upper lip-and another lesson in bad value for money (more precisely, I had to re-do the wax myself when I got home).
Beach and swimming pool: both small; swimmingpool very shallow, not a proper swimming facility, but was lovely for our baby. There's also a small lap pool but did not look all that big to me. The swimming facilities are plagued by the hotel's location which is at the mouth of a river; sea is muddy and not very inviting. If there was any beach/pool service, I haven't noticed it as no one approached us while we were at the pool.
Overall comments: unfortunately the location of the hotel is not that good. It's very small which means if you don't want to be bored silly you need to go out. There is absolutely NOTHING special about it with the exception of the dinners which were indeed very good by Mauritian standards. There are much better located similar category hotels in Mauritius, and with any luck, you'd get a stay in one of those for far less money than this hotel will cost you. Would I go back? For a dinner, yes, definitely. For a stay? Most likely not. We could have had a whole week holiday with a similar level of service and ammenities elsewhere. Again, I had very high expectations given the rates they charge, and I was let down hugely. Completely indiferent, average hotel in a very average location. If this had been my first trip to Mauritius, I would have gone back home thinking "no clue what the fuss is all about, not on my favorite destinations list!".

Room Tip: Sea view if you can afford it.
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your precious comments. I am delighted to learn that you found the suite spacious and very clean and you enjoyed the outstanding dinners and, the lovely and personal service.

However, I would like to seize this opportunity to present my sincere apologies for the regretful mishaps during your stay.

As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius places an emphasis on the attention to details and we will make sure for no such mishaps to repeat.

I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back for a chance to exceed your expectations to Angsana Balaclava Mauritius or to any of our other resorts worldwide.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I love boutique hotels. When individual members of staff know their guests and anticipate their needs, and make you feel part of the family. Most hotels in Mauritius are much larger, so it was a real pleasure to discover Angsana. Its newer than most of the best-known Mauritian resorts too, so the rooms and amenities are better suited to today's traveller, and they don't have the follies that some of the others included when running a hotel in Mauritius was a licence to print money.

The two best bits about the Angsana were the rooms and the food. The rooms are very large and comfortable by Mauritian standards, perfectly equipped and furnished (seriously perfect - I can't think of anything that was missing), and in excellent condition. We booked a spa suite, which includes a plunge pool on the balcony for a touch of extravagance, and a free spa treatment which was a real pleasure and total relaxation. I didn't see the lower cost rooms to compare whether it justifies the extra cost, but the spa suite was excellent. They provided all we needed for our young baby, too.

The food is great. They have a Balinese chef, and have been quite successful in attracting some Asian guests - many hotels in Mauritius are trying to tap these new markets, but the Angsana succeeds. Unlike the larger hotels, food is not on a buffet system. There is a new menu every night, with three or four choices for each course, and table service, which feels a bit more 5-star luxury than going to the buffet somehow. There seems to be a spicy Asian option most nights which was especially delicious, but speak to the chef and he will take your wishes into consideration - its that kind of place! There is also an extensive wine list.

Also a special mention for the staff, who knew all of their guests by name and made a real effort to learn what guests require and provide it. I was especially impressed to see Chinese and Russian guests being greeted in their own languages.

So why only four stars? Well, I think the Angsana has done more or less everything it can to be as good as it can, and it especially galls to comment on something that they can't do anything about. But, as any money-grabbing estate agent will tell you, its about location, location, location, and the same goes for hotels. I suppose that this is the downside of Angsana being a newer hotel - most of the prime sites had been taken. Balaclava doesn't have the majestic sea/lagoon views of some of the hotels on the north, east or south coasts - instead, you watch commercial ships going in and out of Port Louis, though far enough away not to disturb. And the Angsana lies at the mouth of a river, which affects the sea off its private beach - to such an extent that, apparently because of rain the previous week, there was no snorkelling at all offered in the three days we were there, although the weather was fine, calm and dry (Snorkelling matters to me because I love the colourful marine life and shallow reefs around Mauritius). This is something that, perhaps, they could do something about - offering a longer trip, even if it means paying a small supplement, for keen snorkellers or just those that want to use the glass bottomed boat, on such days.

Overall then, highly recommended.

1 Thank Nick445
BTGroup, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share such wonderful and constructive comments.

As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details and it is always great to read comments from our guests to get an insight into their impressions of the hotel. It is a pleasure for me to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our service and staff could make it a special experience and that you felt like a part of our family.

We strive to create a memorable stay for our guests and deeply value knowing that the comfort of our rooms and hotel amenities together with the attention to smaller details played an important role during your stay with us. It was our pleasure to assist you with the necessities required for your young baby and I am happy to learn you could also enjoy total relaxation with our spa treatments.

Thank you for trying our restaurants and appreciating the variety of food proposed everyday with our extensive wine list. I am glad that the Chef’s special attention gave you a 5 star Luxury feeling

We however regret that you could not enjoy the snorkelling facilities during your stay. Unfortunately, the weather forecast for the past days was not favourable. Your comments have been analysed and shared with our personnel, which will serve to maintain the high standards which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

Buckley, Flintshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at the Angsana from 5th-12th December, and are so glad we chose this amazing hotel. On arrival we were warmly greeted, and received an updrade to a spa suite, which was stunning. The room was huge and very well furnished to solid 5 star standards. We have only ever stayed at much larger resorts in the past and found the smaller boutique style Angsana a very welcome change. I would definitely recommend renting a car (as we did) because Balaclava is much undeveloped and this keeps you well within touching distance of the surrounding area. We really liked the isolation as it’s private and peaceful unlike the larger resorts around the island. We drove everywhere and found the other resorts (although very nice) were so busy and commercialized and didn't offer the same intimacy of the Angsana. Being a smaller hotel, attention to detail and service was much more evident and the staff was always on hand to offer their help. We would particularly like to thank Kiran off the front desk, always so helpful during our stay, a real gent! He gave us some great recommendations each morning of what to see on the island. The hotel offers a half board package, and the food in the evening was exceptional, very tasty and always a different choice of menu each night. Breakfast was reasonable, but nothing out the ordinary. Typical buffet style with the extra choice of eggs, bacon etc. On Saturday nights (weather permitting) the hotel puts on a BBQ on the beach and entertainment, which was just superb, we loved it. We did have a few problems with mosquitoes as some other reviews mentioned, however, as soon as we added repellent and learned to keep the balcony door shut during the evening there was no further problems, so I really wouldn’t be deterred by this.
On the last day we decided to try the water sports, which are complementary to all hotel guests, great fun! Away from the hotel I would recommend visiting Casela National Park and booking to walk and interact with the loins, this was truly a once in a lifetime experience. We also booked the quad bikes in the same park and the guide lets you get off and interact with the animals in the reserve (giant turtles etc) . We also tried sea karting in the southwest part of the island, which is a must, and also gives you the opportunity to snorkel at Le Morne bay. We will always remember our wonderful holiday to Mauritius and especially our stay at the Angsana and we sincerely hope to be back in the future.

Room Tip: If you can afford to splurge, go for an ocean front Villa!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SMillington
BTGroup, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Mr Millington,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share such wonderful comments. I am delighted to learn you found Angsana Balaclava to be the Indian Ocean’s little treasure.

As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details and it is fantastic to read that you appreciated the warm greeting as well as your upgrade to a Spa Suite. We are very pleased to read that you find our resort as a welcome change, our rooms huge and well-furnished, the choice of food exceptional and tasty, the staff dedicated and the water sport of great fun. We thank you for commenting about Kiran and how helpful he was during your stay.

We would like to thank you once again for your comments as these will truly help us to monitor, and improve even further our Angsana services and facilities. I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back again to Angsana Balaclava or to any of our other resorts worldwide.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have stayed in various properties in Mauritius.
I never experienced such warmth, friendliness and quality product anywhere.
We stayed in interconnecting Spa Suites. These Suites has got all the facilities required to make someone spend his best holidays ever. It was seaview with the superb Private pool on the terrace.

i will recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to spend holiday there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
BTGroup, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share such wonderful comments. I am delighted to learn that you recommend Angsana Balaclava Mauritius as an outstanding way to spend holidays.

As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius places an emphasis on the attention to details and it is fantastic to read that you experienced the warmth, friendliness and quality product and enjoyed the facilities of the Spa Suites, the private pool on the terrace with sea view.

Pascal Prigent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Oberoi, Mauritius
LUX* Grand Gaube
LUX* Grand Gaube
#1 of 4 in Grand Gaube
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,234 reviews

Been to Angsana Balaclava Mauritius? Share your experiences!