“Good hotel but a little bit overpriced”

Angsana Balaclava Mauritius
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
Moscow, Russia
“Good hotel but a little bit overpriced”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We spent 3 nights during our 10-days honeymoon in Mauritius in this hotel and I need to say that it's really luxury. The suites are great, though you won't have the private garden like in Oberoi. We stayed at the second floor sea-view suite with private swimming pool and I need to say that the suite is even bigger than you need. We had 2-rooms bathroom with a steam bath (which actually didn't work properly) and 20mt sea-view terrace. The service is great, but no so great as in Oberoi (which costs almost the same). Wifi in our room worked really bad and the hotel stuff could do nothing with that. The real disappointment was food. The breakfast's buffet was quite good, but dinners...it took too long to get starter and main course (about 30 minutes or more) and the food itself wasn't awesome. If you are not a gourmand you will find this food very good. But in such a hotel you expect food to be "WOW"! There was no "wow" from me at all. I also need to say, that drinks are not overpriced for such a restaurant: non-alcoholic cocktail will cost you about 7Euro including taxes, and alcoholic will cost you about 12 Euro. I think it's not much if you are ready to pay over 300 Euros for 1 night staying.
The hotel as many others 5* hotels in Mauritius, offers free water service including water ski and snorkeling. We took water ski 2 or 3 times and once my wife was skiing for about 20 minutes, though the regular round is only 3-4 minutes. We sailed to Oberoi (it's about 2km from Angsana) and we saw dolphins near the coast. The sail-man stopped the boat and we spent about 20 minutes, watching the dolphins and taking pictures of them.
The hotel is absolutely new (it was opened in Dec 11) but you will never say that it's so new if you don't know. There are only about 50 rooms in the hotel and as it still not very famous, there are hardly even 70 guests in the hotel. The territory is not very big, but the beach is pretty nice and you can even swim in the sea if you like.
I think the price for this hotel is a little bit high, cause you can take Oberoi for almost same amount, where you can get awesome service and amazing food. But anyway, this hotel is also luxury for sure and if you didn't ever go to such a hotels you will like it, trust me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ugenmtg
Pascal P, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share such valuable comments. I am delighted to learn you found Angsana Balaclava to be really luxury!

As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details and it is however fantastic to read that you find our rooms and our service to be great. We very much appreciate your constructive comments and suggestions.

Your gracious comments have been passed to our personnel, which will add to consistently maintaining the high standards, which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

We would like to thank you once again for your comments as these will truly help us to monitor, and improve even further our Angsana services and facilities. I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back again to Angsana Balaclava or to any of our other resorts worldwide.

Pascal Prigent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 6, 2012

The Angsana Balaclava is the best hotel I have ever stayed at. I have seen many 5 Star Hotels but this one...It's just amazing! The service was excellent, everyone cares so much for your needs and everything possible will be done to make your stay more enjoyable.
The Garden Suite I stayed in was very nice. It is 72 square meters big, there is plenty of space for your stuff and the room still does not look crowded. Another plus is the big balcony where you can enjoy the beautiful view if it's rainy.
The hotel itself has a really nice set up, the pools are clean and the beach is also very nice. The Spa and the fitness room are well equiped, the service in there is amazing as well.
The food in the restaurant is definitely worthy for a 5*+ Hotel. The chef is doing an amazing job. The set menu is very good, you always have 5 options to choose from. And you will always find something that you like. Everything is prepared freshly for you, so NO warmed up stuff on your plate!
For breaktfast there is a buffet, you can have your omlette prepared with all the ingredients you like, they make fresh waffles, pancakes and crépes. There is also a great variety of fruits, warm dishes like bacen, porridge and baked beans and also a lot of bread and sweet pastries and juices.
My stay at the Angsana Balaclava was the most enjoyable and relaxing holiday I have ever had. I can only recommend staying there!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share such wonderful comments. I am delighted to learn you found Angsana Balaclava to be the best hotel you have ever stayed at!

As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details and it is fantastic to read that you see Angsana Balaclava to be amazing, that the service was excellent and your needs were cared for. Also it is delightful to know that you enjoyed the view from your balcony and found the hotel set up really nice, the spa and fitness room well equipped and the food at the restaurant to be worth 5 stars.
Your gracious comments have been passed to our personnel, which will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My husband and I arrived exhausted after the flight and were well looking after upon arrival. In finding out we had just got married we were upgraded to a Spa Suite from our booked garden suite which was a great treat. The Spa suit included a pool on our balcony, which was lovely, but just a bit too cold enjoy fully! We received night service from our lovely and friendly maid who turned down our beds and made the room comfortable. We found the hotel resort overall very comfortable, everything was on hand should you want it and the service was excellent. The food was of a very high standard and we enjoyed the evening three course dinners. the seafood was particularly excellent and breakfasts varied in thier provision. Renu was a particularly lovely lady who was both attentive and efficient in her waitering.

The location of the resort was isolated which when wanting rest and quite with a beautiful beach front (as we hoped for) it was perfect. However, it did feel very restirctive if you wanted to go further afield. Whilst reception was willing to book you a private taxi for the day for where ever you wanted to go, the price in my mind was extortionate and some what unreasonable, easily 25% above the standard rate, but if you don't mind paying a lot for privacy and comfort then go ahead you will find it very easy to do what you want.

The gentlemen running the boat house and water sports where delightful and willing to help, we enjoyed sailing, kayaking and trying out wateskiing. The hotel itself was still undergoing some inprovements and fine tuning, but the work in no way disrupted our stay. In fact the staff would go out of their way to be of assitance. In someways, because we went in the quiet season, there were too many staff, all eager to be attentive and meet your needs, perhaps we wanted to be a little more left alone, but really you shouldn't complain about such excellent attentiveness and good service. My only warning is for staff not to constantly ask for trip advisor comments and recommendations, we found the desire for such feed back great and while happy to provide it, constantly being asked for feedback can be a little tiring!

Overall I can highly recommend the Angsana Balaclava Hotel, utter luxury, excellent food and a beautiful restful beach and environment inwhich to rest and relax. Thank you to all the staff at Angsana Balaclava!

2 Thank ADADUnitedKingdom
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your honeymoon trip and for taking the time to share such wonderful comments. I am delighted to learn that you found Angsana Balaclava to be highly recommendable due to its utter luxury, excellent food and beautiful and restful beach and environment.

As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details and it is fantastic to read that you enjoyed your evening 3 course dinners, the excellent service, the comfortable room and the water activities available.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stayed with my husband at Angsana Balaclava in April. I normally don't write reviews but after our holiday at this hotel I thought I would like to share my comments as we had an amazing experience. We were looking for a relaxing break to recharge and this is exactly what we were able to do at Angsana. We have been to Mauritius several times before but usually in much larger hotels and we really wanted to stay somewhere smaller. Angsana is such a charming, little resort and we felt so well looked after by all the staff. It's got a very boutique feel and most guests were couples. We absolutely loved our Beachfront suite - so luxurious and stylish and what a view of the ocean! The hotel is in a great location to explore the area but we did not venture out much as we enjoyed relaxing by our private pool and on the beach. The spa was a real treat and I definitely recommend this to anyone who needs a bit of TLC. The therapist was excellent and I slept like a baby after my treatment. The food was delicious, lots of fresh seafood, and we enjoyed cocktails at the bar each night. We received a small gift every evening that the chamber maid left on our bed, this was such a nice touch. All in all we had a wonderful stay at Angsana and will certainly come back. I think we might have found a new favourite hotel on the island.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jane M
Grimstad, Norway
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Nice hotell with fantastic service and top of the line food..Great rooms an nice personnel.free water-sports

2 Thank Tom153
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We had a wonderful time at this hotel. The usual good service was laid out as you get in all of Mauritius. I recomend this hotel especially for short stays. I also recomend this hotel for businessmen staying on 2 to 4 days stays. Well positioned from Port Louis main centre and nice secluded property. Will go back again.

2 Thank Miele1953
Ruud H, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share such wonderful comments. I am delighted to learn you found Angsana Balaclava to be a nice property.
As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details and it is fantastic to read that you had a wonderful time at this hotel. We are very pleased to read your encouraging words about our Resort being a nice secluded property and recommendable for businessmen also, due to its positioning.

Ruud Hulscher
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We stayed at Angsana Balaclava a couple of weeks in April, have been passing unforgettable time, refreshing and rejuvenating the body, mind and soul!
It’s very new boutique hotel, the restaurants and spa (including hammam and hydrotherapy pool) are contemporary chic designed, the most of intimate, spacious, very cozy and stylish suits have got private pool, direct beach access and magnificent ocean view.
We have been deeply impressed by highly personalized services, attentive and delicate staff were at hand to meet your every need – anywhere, at reception, in the restaurants and bars, near the pools and ocean, etc. - please take into consideration that we are hard-to-please clients.
Special profound respect to Gourmet Chef Suardi Nyoman and his team for delicious food - premium ingredients, magnificent, so diverse and lovely decorated dishes please even most sophisticated palates. Live music completes the particular charming atmosphere during breakfasts, lunches and dinners.

Angsana Balaclava is the hotel and the place where you look forward to come back to enjoy your life again and again.
Don’t miss in Mauritius: the Buggy tour at Casela Nature & Leisure Park, Botanical Garden, Adventure Park, 7 colored Earth visiting.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Reva R
Ruud H, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
Dear Miss Reva R,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share such wonderful comments. I am delighted to learn you found Angsana Balaclava to be the hotel and place, where you look forward to come back to enjoy life again and again!

As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details and it is fantastic to read that you had here some unforgettable time, refreshing and rejuvenating the body, mind and soul. We are very pleased to read your encouraging words about our contemporary chic design, the cosiness you felt at Angsana Balaclava, the highly personalised service that you experienced and the delicious food by our Chef, which you feel would please even the most sophisticated palates.

Ruud Hulscher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Oberoi, Mauritius
Constance Le Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq
Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort

Been to Angsana Balaclava Mauritius? Share your experiences!