While not perfect, this hotel was a great value compared to other similar hotels in the area charging signifanctly more. The hotel's website offered a fair price unlike other hotels that offer an outrageous price on their site only to find it for significantly less on search engines. The family room was adequate and met our needs. At first, it was a bid odd to have the adults' sleeping area combined with the living room with the children in the separate bedroom. It had that sleeper sofa feel to it, but it was nice to have the kids sectioned off in their own space while we had the rest of the room after they went to sleep.
We did have several maintenance problems with our room. The air conditioning stopped working after a few days and after many calls to reception and multiple visits from maintenance that didn't resolve the problem, we were moved to a different room that had a damp musky smell to it. We decided just to deal with it since it took several hours for the hotel to move us to another room and we didn't want to go through that again. They did send us a nice fruit platter the next morning. We also had to make several calls to maintenance to repair the safe that kept shorting out throughout the week.
The breakfast buffet is really nice and generous, but service was a bit slow. I was often sat at tables without silverware or napkins. The evening buffets are similar to the breakfast buffet, but are very expensive! It was significantly cheaper to order room service than the buffet. The a la carte restaurants are about the same price as the buffet, but you need to make reservations in advance. The one night we did have dinner at the buffet, both of my children were sick with what appeared to be food poisoning the following morning. The on-site med clinic was helpful and provided medication to help with the vomitting. They were fine by the afternoon.
The property was tastefully decorated with a long beautiful stretch of beach. The staff at the kids club is excellent and my children enjoyed their time with the staff, but it was a bid sad that other parents didn't use the kids club. We'd been at several similar hotels and the kids club is generally crawling with children, but my kids seemed to be the only children there most of the time and they were looking forward to being with other kids.
The hotel is a bit hard to find. It gives it a secluded feel, but if you are renting a car and coming in at night, it is very difficult to get there. The entrance/lobby is also not easily identified at night. I think most people opt to hire taxis and airport transfers, but the costs for that are also significantly more in Mauritius - thus, I opted to rent a car myself. Has nothing to do with the hotel, but just wanted to include it for those who prefer to rent a car instead of using taxis so they can be prepared or take a daytime arrival if that is an option.
In hindsight, I probably would have preferred to try my luck with another hotel than this one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort is located on one of the most pristine stretches of beach overlooking Balaclava, Mauritius. Offering 210 well-appointed rooms including 10 presidential suites, 40 family-type, 20 Jacuzzi rooms, 20 Executive rooms with free WiFi and 120 standard rooms. Facilities include: 3 bars, 5 restaurants, 2 swimming pools including one heated pool, 8 massage rooms, a unique private island, Planet Trekkers kids club, recreational activities, tennis court, 4 meeting rooms & 1 ballroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, IHG, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mauritius Resort, Balaclava Fort Hotel Balaclava
- Intercontinental Hotel Mauritius
- Intercontinental Hotel Balaclava