We stayed at this lovely hotel for ten days and the majority of the time our stay was perfect. The location of the hotel is amazing right on the beach with fantastic views from the bedroom. The beach itself is a shell beach so not good to lie on, plus there are stray dogs and cats around so definately wouldn't recommend it for obvious reasons. However there was always a free sunbed available so this wasn't a problem.
Food was very good, we ate in the buffet restaurant most nights, which had a different theme every night which gave a good variety of lovely food. The other restaurants you had to book and were equally as nice.
Service: this was the only negative for us with our stay. The first thing you will notice when you enter the hotel is the huge amount of staff they have so my initial thought was the service was going to be excellent. Unfortunately, this is not the case the majority of the time. Service is painfully slow, in the buffet restuarant we waited twenty mins before anyone offered us a drink on two occasions. The staff are often very grumpy and seem to have a real attitude. On one occasion we saw the waitress have an outright argument with a guest because she was trying to seat them with a larger group that they weren't even with. The service was equally as slow at the bar, although the bar staff were on the whole very friendly. This attitude and complacency continued at the reception and on the restaurant reservations, where they had no problem at all leaving you waiting.
There were obviously some exceptions(hence the average rating rather than poor) with a number of waiters and bar staff being very attentive however this was the exception rather than the rule.
I think this is a lovely hotel all in all in terms of location, food, rooms, cleanliness and the potential is huge. I think unfortunately there is a huge amount of complacency with the service. Don't get me wrong I have waited tables and worked in hotels myself in the past so I know how difficult it is to keep it up but I think there can be no excuse for bad customer service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort is located on one of the most pristine stretches of beach overlooking Balaclava, Mauritius. Offering 210 well-appointed rooms including 10 presidential suites, 40 family-type, 20 Jacuzzi rooms, 20 Executive rooms with free WiFi and 120 standard rooms. Facilities include: 3 bars, 5 restaurants, 2 swimming pools including one heated pool, 8 massage rooms, a unique private island, Planet Trekkers kids club, recreational activities, tennis court, 4 meeting rooms & 1 ballroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mauritius Resort, Balaclava Fort Hotel Balaclava
- Intercontinental Hotel Mauritius
- Intercontinental Hotel Balaclava