“Great but service”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Hong Kong, China
“Great but service”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Another warm welcome for Ambassador members.
It was out if season so the points/rewards booking price was ridiculous. A great bargin.
Met on arrival by the Manager himself, who took us to our upgraded Suites/villas. Fantastic.
Service at times a little lacking but it's Africa.
Sunset views great.
Lovely beach
Restaurants leave a lot to be desired.
We we refused entry to the Japanese twice to the managers embarrassment !!!!
The seem to have a policy of evening dress but as I'm on holidays I don't bring my black tie suit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dkkeeling
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Dkkeeling,

Thank you very much for your loyalty to InterContinental Hotels and Resorts and for taking the time to share your experience with us.
I am delighted we delivered a Unique, Authentic and Enriching experience while staying with us with your family.
I apologize if you felt offended by our internal policy / dress code. Indeed in our specialty restaurants (Segala, Noble House and Veda), we kindly ask our esteemed clients to dress in a smart casual way. We do not require a black tie suit. Long pants with a short sleeve shirt / polo shirt will do!

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the near future with your family.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I went to Mauritius for my honeymoon and had my trip arranged by RPC Holidays. I must say that Intercontinental is a very good resort to stay in. Right from the entrance of the hotel to the lobby then to the rooms and pool and beach side, everything was so very beautiful. The most beautiful sight at the hotel was the view from the lobby and the second most amazing thing i liked was the buffet near the pool side. The staff was very welcoming and courteous. The rooms were very good and had a very nice sea view. Mauritus is a perfect destination for honeymooners and IC is a perfect hotel to be in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank neha1986
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear neha1986,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your Honeymoon stay in Mauritius.
I am delighted to read that InterContinental made it very special and Unique for both you and your wife thanks to our beautiful facilities and the friendliness of our people.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back for your 1st wedding Anniversary!

Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I went to Mauritius in May '12, just after my marriage. I guess, staying in Hotel Intercontinental is one of the best decisions I have made. Hotel had a grand reception with an amazing view of Indian ocean. Hotel's private beach is impeccabyly clean. Lot of water sports activities orgaized by the hotel like snorkelling, boating etc. Food was great, lot of vegeterian options available. During our stay, a beach party was organized by IC which I feel is worth mentioning. Jacuzzi and an amazing spa treatment help you relax your muscles. Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Prabhdeep_Singh
Dear Prabhdeep_Singh,

Thank you very much for taking the time after almost a year to give us your feedback on your Honeymoon in Mauritius.
I am delighted to read that it was one of the best decision you took as it means that we have been able to deliver a Unique, Authentic and Enriching experience.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again for your Wedding anniversary or your 1st baby!

Mumbai
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We have been staying here for the past four days and checking out tomorrow - has been time very well spent indeed and wish we (my pregnant wife and I) could extend our stay in ICH and Mauritius for some more time. My wife found it very relaxing - the main reason for our visit. One of my nicer vacations, the hotel offers a host of activities thru out the day - we enjoyed the Aqua Gym a lot (Alan made it fun). The rooms are spacious, most have a view of the ocean and easy access to the pools. Only thing we did not like was that the white sandy beach we associate with Mauritius was missing in front of the hotel - but the lovely crescent shaped island made up for it. Nashreen was another of the staff who was super helpful!! We hope to be back soon - a bientot, on esperons!

4 Thank drbalajiprasad
Dear drbalajiprasad,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us while still in the Resort.
I am delighted to read that you and your wife had a relaxing time, which is exactly what you need before having a baby. Trust me it is my 2nd one!!!
I am thrilled to find out that some of our colleagues made Aquagym even fun for you! I will make sure both Alan and Nashreen get complimented for the exceptional & personalized service delivered.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you and your family again soon.

Dammam
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Just I would like to sharing my experience @ intercontinental & to extend my appreciation to the reception concierge team (Kevin, Noor Aldin, Arun) for their help, advising & welcome. They also organized a good trip for me to private island. Thank you so much & thank you intercontinental. you are always my choice.
The hotel was nice and beautiful you can hear the big waves of indian ocean through your room

Room Tip: Rooms near to the reception are more noisier, Bar included with the reception
1 Thank Abu_Lama
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Abu_Lama,

What a pleasure to read your comments about our Concierge team that was able to deliver an In the Know experience to you!
I will make sure I share your wonderful feedback with them!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Greater Noida, India
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is not at all value for money hotel.. no 4.5 star standards... They promise lot of freebies to honeymoon couples but when u approch them to avail the same lot of terms and conditions are attached...

extremely unhygenic.. On the very first night of our stay (honeymoon trip) there were cockroaches all over in our room. Since the hotel was 100% occupied we were not shifted and they registered our request to change the room. Next day without any intimation our luggage was packed, kept in luggage room and our room was issued to another guest.. Had to struggle a lot to find our luggage as nobody at the front office was aware abt this. BREACH OF PRIVACY BY HOTEL STAFF. WE WERE NOT EVEN INFORMED THAT WE WERE GOING TO BE SHIFTED AND ON THE TOP OF IT FRONT DESK STAFF WERE NOT INFORMED. Doesnt make any differnce even if u your a priority club member... no member privileges were extended to us.. extremely discourteous staff.. lot of discrimination.. could literally see the difference in approaches on how they were indiffernt to the concerns/ issues raised by Indian National guests vis-a-vis Non-Indian Guests!!!! Very disappointed

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ritu_Rawat
Dear Ritu_Rawat,

Thank you for taking the time to share one more time your experience with us.
Indeed you already replied to our online guest satisfaction questionnaire a week back.
On behalf of the whole team in Mauritius, I would like to present our sincere apologies for not delivering the quality of service you were expecting.
Being in a tropical island, we have implemented a comprehensive pest control. However it appears it was not efficient in your room.
There has been some communication gap between our services as they definitely should have inform you prior to moving your bags.
However I would like to stress the fact that we treat all our guests the same. Mauritius is a melting pot of various religions, ethnies and origins and all live in harmony.

Best regards,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed for 6 days at the Intercontinel hotel and we had a fantastic time. The room is really spacious with a kingsize bed, a wonderful bathroom and ocean view. The staff is friendly but not everyone speaks very good English but that was not a big problem. The beach is great and very good for relaxing in the sun or at the pool. Don't expect much if you want to go snorkling because there is not so much to see at this beach besides a few cute fishes.The food was overall good, don't expect any luxury food but it was fine. Two times we had dinner on the beach which was lovely. Luckely the weather was very good during our stay. The spa at the hotel is nice, we had a full body massage.
Wifi connection at the lobby was good.
We made 1 trip to Grand Baie during our stay but that was disapointing. Grand Baie is busy and the people there do not speak English very well and the shops were also a bit disapointing.
When we ever go back to Mauritius we will go to this hotel again. We had a lovely and relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: All the rooms have ocean view.
Dear G L,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful time with us thanks to the friendliness of our people, the special evenings on the beach and our relaxing beach.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon in Mauritius!

Executive Assistant Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
LUX* Le Morne
LUX* Le Morne
#1 of 11 in Le Morne

Been to InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort? Share your experiences!