InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
The Oberoi, Mauritius(Pointe Aux Piments)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Hotel Les Cocotiers(Rodrigues Island)
  • Pool
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa(Pointe Aux Piments)
Port Chambly(Terre Rouge)
  • Breakfast included
3,170 results
All reviewsnoble housesenso restaurantharsh manichief conciergejacuzzi roomkevin ritoopresidential suiteindian foodheated poolthe resort managerjean pierreour honeymoonmain restaurantocean viewfamily roomspecial thanksguest relations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Having been in the InterContinental Resort Mauritius for one week I have to commend the resort for outstanding aspects concerning my stay there: an attentive reception, a wonderful room (where admittedly it probably helps to be a long time member of the group's free customer relations program called Priority Club) and a perfect resort with, believe it or not, 4 different theme restaurants in which the half board packages are mostly credited in a very generous way unknown to me from other places.
The main breakfast and buffet diner hall could be a touch brighter and/or with more attractive interior design but, again, very good buffet food and a dedicated staff make you still feel comfortable.
Special highlights in the resort's evening entertainment are the huge open air party buffet diners in an attractive on-the-beach atmosphere - heaps of work before and after the event for the staff...
The internet (WIFI with a router in my room) worked well - different from many other expensive hotels worldwide where the rates are sometimes ridiculous and sadly the WIFI reception is, too...
Management is always present, attentive, charming and thus also provides a good host and hospitality model to their staff. So alltogether a very nice place run with much professionalism and dedication from everybody involved, where you feel appreciated and all that in a wonderful resort ambience.

Room Tip: Depends on your taste: near the pool rooms are a bit louder and the remote ones are remote, of course, but hence more quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Easy_Flying
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear Easy_Flying,

First of all I would like to thank you for your loyalty to our Brands and for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write such a wonderful feedback.
I am delighted to read you had such a Unique, Authentic and Enriching experience with us thanks to the attentiveness of our staff, quality of our facilities, variety and quality of food served in our 4 restaurants.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in Mauritius in the near future.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days in March '13.

Had checked in late around 10 pm and as it was closing time for their dinner buffet, had to go directly to the restaurant after Welcome drink.

They used to have a theme after dinner every night. For the time I was there, they had an Arabian night, a Piano bar, a fashion show and Live singing. The DJ was alright but could have been better.

Was explained about the various facilities at the resort before being led to room. I quite liked the room with terrace. Well laid out and spacious with a nice ocean view and manicured lawns.

The rest of my stay was spent lazing at the swimming pool and beach. They provide beach towels which you can get changed everyday. The bar at the swimming pool used to play some good numbers. Had rented a scooter from within the resort's premises one day and went for a drive around Mauritius. They also provide some activities like glassboat ride, snorkelling, water-ski, etc. free of charge.

The service seemed laid-back and not of 5 star standard but maybe that's how things are there. Didn't bother me much as the property had made a lovely impression on me.

This resort was teeming with Indian honeymoon couples and French tourists. Overall, I had a wonderful time there and would love to go back some day again!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ricky_NewDelhi_India
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Ricky_NewDelhi_India,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
I am glad to read that overall you had a wonderful time in Mauritius and that you will be back soon!

We look forward to welcoming you again!

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Had amazing 7 days. The hotel was awesome, the facilities, the restaurants, the ambiance, the food spread, everything much better than expectation. They also organized events like bollywood night, fashion show, cocktail evening and candle light dinners. Couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon!!!

But... there were hiccups which cannot be tolerated for a 4.5 star hotel. We didn't get hot water the day we reached. We called the service guy and he wasted gallons and gallons of water to get us some hot water.
We saw 2 cockroaches in our room on the third night and they were big. During, my honeymoon I am running after cockroaches so that they do not bother us for rest of the night.
There was problem with the power in the room more than couple of times. And on the fourth night we stayed more than half an hour in dark and without AC, it was so suffocating and the technician didn't arrive immediately even after multiple calls. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mit B

Dear Mit B,

First of all congratulations for your recent wedding and thank you for choosing to celebrate your Honeymoon with us. I am delighted to read that we delivered a Unique, Authentic and Enriching experience to you and your wife.
Being in a tropical island, we have implemented a comprehensive pest control system. However it appears it was not fully efficient in your case on one occasion.
All our rooms are inspected on a regular basis by our Engineering team. However it looks like you have been facing a few technical issues that could have been avoided. Hot water should come quickly. However I would like to reassure you concerning the wasted water as we do run a responsible business and recycle the water for our gardens. So water was not lost at the end of day!
For all the technical issues encountered, I would like to present on behalf of the whole team our most sincere apologies.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again for your 1st wedding anniversary or baby!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The check-in was very well organised and we've been introduced to the hotel facilities before someone brought us into our room. We#ve got an upgrade to a business room with wifi and a fruit platter, very nice. The rooms were not very huge, but very nicely designed, modern, very clean - all you need! The presentation was just good , incl. some animals build out of towels on our beds, very romantic.
They provide maps of the hotel, which helps with orientation.
The pool is alright, however i found it not so much romantic there, as there were so many small children all around. A child-free area would have been nice.
Unfortunately it is almost not possible to swim in the sea as there are too many dead coralls and rocks. Bring in any case some water shoes with you.
The food is fantastic (but also very expensive). We had a rental car and were able to leave the hotel for dinner which saved us much much money!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Milkyway85,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.
It has been a pleasure to have you staying with us and I am delighted to read that you had a great time altogether thanks to your upgraded room and the hotel facilities.
For those who want a little bit more privacy, we have our South pool next to the Boat House as indeed this one is a "deep" pool where children normally do not go.
As for swimming in the sea, we organize glass bottom boat trips twice a day to go beyond the reef with your snorkeling gear so that you can discover the coral reef and swim at ease.

I trust you brought some fond memories from your trip to Mauritius and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again!

Best regards,

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just returned from 10 wonderful days at Intercontinental.

The propety of the hotel is simply wonderful, it has a really nice beach which is cleaned for coral rubble. It is never crowded and look pristine and wonderful with its mature vegetation overlooking the Turtle Bay. It has a house reef which is ok. The lobby is large and open with a nice view over the beach.

We were upgraded to Jacuzzi Suite (due to Ambassador status), which has an extra spacious terrace and of course a nice jacuzzi. Rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Sea view is limited, but nevertheless nice with lush vegetation.

Service in the hotel is layback (which is usual in Mauritius) but professional and genuine in other terms. The staff of the hotel are very polite in general, and we had only good experience with them all. They all speak English, French, Hindi and Creole!

The most important person to mention is the hotel manager Arnaud, I have never met a more dedicated manager at any hotel! He was simply everywhere to secure that the guests had a wonderful stay at the hotel. He really stood out making our stay even more special.

The food in the restaurants is of high standard. The best restaurant is in our opinion "Noble House" serving the best dessert we have had in a long time: Try the chocolate sushi!!
Price of food and beverage at the resort is at a decent level. Only a bit irritating that they only serve 0,35L beverage, so you sometimes have to order often in the tropical heat.
The price for a local beer is about 200 rupees (Phoenix or Stag) or 300 rupees for international.
For those of you that drink a lot of beer, I can recommend buying packs of 6 beers (+ complimentary sandwiches/ canapees) then it is much cheaper ;) But this was not one of those party holidays for us.

Free WI-FI in all bars/ restaurants.

The Balaclava area is a nice 5 and 5+ star resort area, I would say that this resort gives you most for the buck!

I would definately recommend this hotel, and it will also be considered for out next stay on Mauritius.

Room Tip: South if you wish picturescene mountains, or North if you wish to stay closer to lobby, bars and restaurants. No elevators, so ground floor for elderly/ disabled. 3rd floor presidential suite if you wish to have totally uninterrupted sea view.
Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vegard H

Dear Vegard H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
It has been a real pleasure meeting both of you and discussing with you on Mauritius, Hospitality and many more subjects!
I am delighted to read that you had a fantastic experience and will come back!

I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.