“Not Up to Intercontinental Standards, Too Many Flies”

InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
SG
“Not Up to Intercontinental Standards, Too Many Flies”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I've stayed at more than 20 ICs around the world and this hotel is the worst that I've stayed at.
The hotel itself is generally fine but the service level is very lacking.

But if that is not bad enough, the cleanliness level at the restaurants are just unacceptable. The amount of flies that buzz around your table during the day is unbearable. I have been to 4 resorts in Mauritius and the others seem to have them under control.
Part of the problem is that the cleaning crew don't do a good enough job to clean up the tables and the floor properly, thus inviting birds and flies to continue feeding after guests have left the table.

Only good thing is that a double upgrade is given due to elite status.
Presidential suite is huge, but quite bare. Lack of sockets means you'll have all your things all around the suite.

The pricing is affordable compared to many top properties, but I also stayed at the Sofitel Imperial and that was a much better experience for about the same price.

6 Thank lsed
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear lsed,

First of all I would like to thank you for your loyalty to InterContinental Hotels Group and for taking the time to share your experience with us. If I am not mistaken, you have already submitted your comments through our online guest satisfaction survey as well.
I take on board your comments regarding the flies buzzing around the restaurant during meal periods. Being in a tropical environment we have a comprehensive pest control system in place. However due to higher humidity and heat levels, flies are extremely "active" right now...
We have dedicated staff to look after the cleaning of the restaurant on a daily basis. I have forwarded your comments to our Executive Housekeeper, Chief Engineer and Food & Beverage Manager so that we reinforce our cleaning process and pest control.
As far as service goes, your broad comment does not allow me to elaborate much. However kindly be assured that we mostly get great feedback on our people. It might be a little bit slower in the islands than in InterContinental Business Hotels...
I am glad to read you enjoyed the upgrade to our Best suite, i.e. our Presidential Duplex Suite with the outdoor jacuzzi.

I trust you brought some fond memories from your trip to Mauritius and should you decide to come back again to Mauritius, please let me know and I will make sure we provide you with a Unique, Authentic and Enriching InterContinental experience.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Yokohama, Japan
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I visited this hotel in June 2010 with my wife. After tiring flight to Mauritius, we're greeted by warm smile and lovely sun set view at reception.
We have booked a room with terrace Jacuzzi. Jacuzzi was the only disappointing thing in hotel. It was hardly working. Although hotel staff did their efforts to help us but it didn't help Jacuzzi.
Rooms and washrooms are big enough. Hotel has private big beach and you can enjoy beautiful sunset there. Food is lavish for non- vegetarians but for vegetarians, options are less. However, juices, fruits are served very good.
Service is very good although not excellent.
We enjoyed our staying in hotel and we really missed this hotel while leaving.
One should really go to this hotel unless you have very big pockets... :-)

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Abhishek_202
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Abhishek_202,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.
I am delighted to read that you a great time with your wife in our Resort thanks to the friendliness of our staff, the facilities and our spacious rooms.
I would also like to present my sincere apologies if our Engineering team was not able to solve the issue with your Jacuzzi during your stay. We have a full Preventative Maintenance Plan in place and this should have been fixed prior to your arrival.
I take on board your comments regarding the variety of vegetarian options. We have 4 restaurants and Veda, the Indian restaurant has an extensive selection of Vegetarian options. On our Senso buffet we always cater for Vegetarian guests with a specific corner. Finally our Executive Chef is always willing to accommodate should you not find what you want on the Menu / Buffet.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again with your wife!
Warm regards,

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We went for our honeymoon through a known agent who recommended this property... After a certain amount of research we fixed upon the same a booked a standard room... This is undoubtedly the best property in Mauritius. There are obviously some cheaper ones which are offer however for the traveller willing spend an extra buck for the luxury and the views it is a must go... The property is self sustaining with 5 restaurants with different cuisines, wonderful beach facing rooms ...

4 Thank shuklabhishek
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear shuklabhishek,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I am delighted you chose our property to spend this very special moment in life, i.e. your Honeymoon. I am even more delighted to read that you had such a Unique, Authentic and Enriching experience with us thanks to the magnificent views on the Indian Ocean, our large variety of restaurants and our comfortable rooms.

We very much look forward to welcoming you again for your 1st wedding Anniversary or 1st Baby!!!

Warm regards,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2013

top hotel until you get out of the lobby,the rooms were great and spacious,the grounds fantastic the halls and passages were showing there age,paint pealing and mould stains made it look very old,
the spa was a let down as we booked of 2 waited 30 minutes and then told they had over booked and could only give us 1 massage,
the snorkling trip we had was fantastic this was arranged by the sports centre

Room Tip: ask for a upgrade, all have ocean views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brendan C
Dear clarkproperty,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the views of the Indian Ocean and our facilities.
Kindly be informed that we are currently running a full Maintenance program on our corridor walls to eradicate the humidity issue. The process has started in November and will take a few months to be completed. However this permanent solution will definitely resolve this issue.
I would like to present our sincere apologies regarding the spa booking issue. I have discussed it with our Spa Manager and we are reinforcing the team as of January to avoid this kind of inconvenience in the future.

I trust you brought some amazing memories from Mauritius Down Under and hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the future.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The hotel is well located with a mind blowing view of the ocean. However, the beach is not that good for swimming but the hotel has 2 swimming pools which overcomes the drawback of the beach. The hotel has 4 restaurants but i preferred Senso who has food for everyone's tastes. The service staffs are very helpful & i really appreciated Nitish, restaurant supervisor for his kindness, always helpful & very much dedicated to guest satisfaction. We will definitely come back during the next holidays & also recommend our friends to come.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kareena S
Franck S, General Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Kareena,
I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and more important that you are planning to come back during your next trip in our sunny island. As regular guest, we will be organising a special welcome. We are taking good note about the beach and would like to inform you that we are now re-sanding the beach on a regular basis.
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The beach is nicely manicured and the location is beautiful with views of mountains to the side. There are lots of hammocks and beach chairs and the pools are nice. It is obvious, however, that the beach is not natural. Every inch of it is artificial. The sand has sharp pebbles, so it hurts to walk on it in bare feet. It is a long walk to the next resort, so you are trapped. Our room was dark, a little musty, and the AC didn’t work well. The bathrooms are nice, however. The service was in general very bad.

Several problems stood out.

- The room was continually infested with mosquitoes.
- Getting the internet that was included in our rate was difficult.
- Renting a bicycle took an hour and then the bicycle broke down.
- Checking in took about an hour.
- The beach is uncomfortable to walk on in bare feet.
- The food is expensive, the quality is poor, and the restaurants are all fully booked.
- One day we returned late after dinner to find they had forgotten to make up the room.
- Check out the towel story below …

Mosquitoes

We weren’t able to figure out how the mosquitoes were getting into our room. They were everywhere; even in our suitcases if we didn’t close the lids. Fortunately, they didn’t bite much. The manager gave us insecticide, but we didn’t want to spray it too often and poison ourselves. A friend of ours had no mosquitoes in his room.

Internet

I asked for the internet password when we checked in because we had signed up for a rate that included free internet. … but that wasn’t enough.

They said that they didn’t see free internet listed in my rate. So I showed them a copy of my reservation on my computer which indicated free internet. … but that wasn’t enough.

They asked me to email them the copy of the reservation. So I had to log into the free internet system in the lobby, log into my email, and send it. … but that wasn’t enough.

They gave me a special number to call the tech center to get the code for the internet. So I called and asked for the code. … but that wasn’t enough.

The people at the tech center had to call the central office to verify that I was indeed entitled to free internet. I had to wait for them to call me back with the code. … but that wasn’t enough.

They didn’t call back. I called them again and again they promised to call me back, but didn’t. So I went to the reception desk to get my code. … but that wasn’t enough.

The reception desk was happy to give me my code, but now the system was down so they couldn’t. They promised to call me as soon as it was back up again. So again I waited. … but that wasn’t enough.

Again they didn’t call back. So I called again and finally I got the code. Their internet was very slow. Also there is no free internet in the public spaces except for a couple of computers with internet connections that are always occupied.

Bicycle

My wife rented a bicycle to ride around on a day when I had to work. It took an hour for her to rent the bike. Part of that included 20 minutes to wait for them to bring a golf cart to take her to the bike, which turned out to be only a few tens of meters away, though out of sight. She rode the bike for about an hour at which point it collapsed. She fell and was hurt, though not badly. She was in the middle of nowhere and had to hitchhike to get back to the hotel with the bike.

Restaurants

Dinner options include a very expensive buffet ($50-60; no option to take a half buffet) with mediocre food, or restaurants that are similarly expensive though the food is good. The problem is that the restaurants have to be reserved in advance; if you wait until dinnertime, they are all fully booked. Most days we ate outside the hotel, but on the one night when we didn’t we went to the Malagasy restaurant. We were told that it was fully booked even though most of the tables were empty. We pleaded for a table, and they “squeezed us in”. By the time our meal had ended and people were leaving at least a third of the tables had never been occupied.

The breakfast buffet is huge with lots of variety, but much of the food is bland. We found a couple of things we liked, however, so for us it effectively ended up being a decent quality buffet with limited variety.

Beach towels

We signed out a couple of beach towels. We were told to return them or we would be charged a large sum. We took them back to our room and when the room was made up the beach towels disappeared along with all the other used towels. So I called the reception, explained, and asked not to be billed for the beach towels. They said they would send someone over immediately, to bring new beach towels I presumed. In less than 10 minutes there was a knock at the door (the fastest service we had experienced for anything). I opened the door and there was a young man, but he had no towels. He handed me an envelope. Inside was a letter indicating that I had exceeded my credit limit and asking me to please come to the reception and at least partially settle my bill.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank JoeLikesBali
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear JoeLikesBali,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a comprehensive and constructive feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the location of the resort and our facilities.
However it seems that you have experienced quite a few issues while staying with us.
Being in a tropical environment we had implemented a comprehensive pest control system. We fog every night our gardens and provide mosquito plugs if need be. It looks like your room had a specific issue as you mention that your friend did not have any in his room.
Getting the internet password has been difficult as our staff members were not able to assist on the spot when it should have been easy and quick to fix. I would like to apologize on behalf of our Front desk team for not being more proactive in this matter.
I would like to confirm as well that we do have free WiFi in all public areas and are planning to install the WiFi in the whole resort in 2013.
I will investigate further regarding the bicycle as they should definitely be tested before. I hope your wife has recovered since then and could enjoy the Festive Season.
I take on board your comments regarding the quality of food served in our buffet restaurant and will discuss it with our Executive chef.
As for the other A la carte restaurants we indeed have limited seats and being in our peak season, guests need to book in advance to make sure they have a table available. Unfortunately sometimes guests book and do not show up. I am glad they still managed to get a table for you on that night.
Finally in regards to the beach towels, Housekeeping should not have removed them. However they removed all at once as they were already used.
We have a credit policy within IHG and we do send interim bills when the credit limit has been exceeded. I assume they were about to send it to you and as you called they sent it directly to the room. However I understand your surprise as they did not bring new towels or explained the situation.
I will brief our Front Office Manager accordingly.

I trust you still brought some nice memories from Mauritius and hope you will give us a 2nd chance to provide you with the true Mauritian Hospitality.

Kind regards,

Jaipur, India
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed on 1st and 2nd Jan 2013 and It was one of my worst hotels ever stayed in the world.The service quality is soo bad and staff is extremely rude.The quality of the food is also very low.
The rooms are so filthy with and no amenities worth 5 star not even 4 star.
Even my room fridge was completely empty. Room service took hours and that too no one came to clean it up after calling them 7 times.I strongly recommend not to stay here if you have high expectations...it is a complete commercial property with absolutely bad staff.

7 Thank Abhiyant
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Abhiyant,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
I am truly sorry to read that you had such a bad experience and on behalf of the whole team, I would like to present our sincere apologies for not matching your expectations.
It seems like you have had issues after issues and that nothing went well during your time with us.
I understand it has been a poor experience mainly due to the attitude of our staff.
Kindly be assured that it is not a true reflection of our quality of service as you can see from the other comments we get on Trip Advisor.
However I have already shared your feedback with our Management Team and more specifically with our Director of Training and Quality so that we focus on Staff attitude, empowerment, communication and follow up on requests to make sure your experience does not happen again...

I still hope you brought some fond memories from Mauritius back home and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future to change your perception and provide you with a wonderful experience.

Executive Assistant Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,414 reviews
Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
Angsana Balaclava Mauritius

Been to InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort? Share your experiences!