“Gourmet Dining”

Our Heritage Cafe
Ranked #17 of 44 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was our 2nd visit to this hotel this year to visit the finger lakes attractions.During check in time they gave us a coupon for a free appetizer to their restaurant, the Heritage Cafe.
Being tired , this gave us the incentive to try it although we had our doubts. It was a Monday evening and there were only 2 other occupied tables. We did not expect too much!

Boy, were we ever surprised! The Caprese salad was excellent as a starter (it was farmer's mkt.tomatoes w/fresh mozzarella,basil, olive oil, balsamic reduction...etc.) . My wife had the Salmon(Cognac-honey glazed w/roasted fingerling potatoes,braised fennel carrots) and I had the grilled pork loin with zucchini,summer squash,red potatoes,topped with NY apple compote.

The presentation,quality, generous portion ,and taste would be comparable to any 4 star restaurant. We just had to compliment the chef.

We were so impressed w/the restaurant, that after touring the area (a very rainy day) we decided to come back and stay another night.
For dinner we had chicken quesadillas as a starter. Summer heirloom tomato soup, Large house salad and the Heritage Burger....Everything was excellent !

This was probably one of the best restaurant in a hotel that we have ever been to considering the price,quality, presentation, and taste of their food. We were completely satisfied !

1  Thank Hawkrridge

Reviewed September 8, 2012

I have eaten in the hotel resturant more times than I can count mostly for breakfast and love the way I am greeted in the morning by Amy and the morning crew.
One waitress looked at me one morning and pointed to the table she was standing in front of. She never says good morning and is not as nice and freindly as the others but maybe she is not a morning person.lol I don't judge the rest of the staff by this one persons lack of etiquette.

Reviewed March 15, 2012

Since we were staying at the Holiday Inn, we decided to give Our Heritage Cafe a try in spite of all the negative reviews. The colors were definitely dated (teal carpet, maroon/burgundy napkins) but the hostess was friendly, and she seated us right away. We arrived right as the restaurant was opening, though, and we were the only people dining there on a Thursday night, so I would have been surprised if we had had a long wait!

The waiter was also friendly and very attentive - again, I would have been put out if he hadn't been, since we were the only customers!

My husband had the fish fry special - a beer-battered haddock with french fries and a salad for $10.99. I had the 8 oz top sirloin with seasonal veggies and mashed potatoes for $13.99, and I added a small garden salad for $2.99. We both had water to drink, as the diet pepsi I ordered was not to be, as the soda fountain was broken temporarily. That was ok with us though - not a problem.

We were served a tiny loaf of fresh bread - it was very hot and very chewy. The best part about it was that it melted the hard butter squares quickly!

The salad came out first. My husband's, which was included as part of his meal, was a bed of arugula with no other greens, and some halved grape tomatoes on top, all covered with a chili-lemon dressing. At first he was apprehensive, because arugula can be tricky, but he said it was quite good.

My garden salad was served with ranch dressing on the side (by request). The dressing was thick and very good. My salad was a mix of arugula, red lettuce, spinach leaves and boston lettuce, by the look of it. The toppings were cucumbers, whole grape tomatoes and slices of radish. There were about 5 of each of these toppings in the salad, along with a helping of candied pecans. Though good, the candied pecans were out of place here - they just didn't belong on a garden salad, I felt. The one real criticism I had with my meal though, was that a good HALF the lettuce on my salad had turned bad, and parts were brown and slimy. There is no excuse for this, in my opinion.

That said, the plates were quickly cleared and we were served our main course in little to no time, it felt. Both meals had very good presentation. My husband's fish was served over top the fries, which were seasoned and looked pretty with flecks of green parsley. The beer-battered haddock was a pretty golden color and he said it tasted delicious. The only thing on his plate he didn't finish or care for was the tarter sauce.

Half of my plate was covered by the seasonal vegetables, which was a good mix of carrots and broccoli, with three pieces of cauliflower thrown in for good measure. There was absolutely nothing remarkable about the vegetables - they had a minimum of seasoning and some butter on them, and I ate them. :) The mashed potatoes, however, were divine! They had small pieces of green shallot mixed in, and I would have eaten a double portion without hesitation! The sirloin steak was not a true medium, as I had ordered - there was barely any pink in it at all. It was also served cut into thin round portions, when I had been expecting a chop, but that was ok, because it did look nice. The meat had been advertised as covered in onions, mushrooms and blue cheese, yet I had ordered it without mushrooms. The onions were perfect, but I could have used more blue cheese, for sure. I had asked for some A1 sauce, just in case, but the steak was fine without it.

The only other complaint I had about the meal was that my mashed potatoes were more warm than hot, but they weren't cool enough for me to send them back. Also, once I had tasted them and found them so delicious, there was no way I was letting them go back to the kitchen!

Overall, I would say this restaurant was fine for the price and I would not hesitate to try it again if I were staying at the Holiday Inn.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

Due to a horrible rainstorm, we were forced to stay in for dinner. Upon heading down to the resteraunt in the hotel, we were seated quickly and given menus. After a discussion we ordered and waited until our food was brought out. There were no other parties in the resteraunt at this time, yet our food took quite a while to reach us.

When it arrived, two of our party members complained that the vegetables (broccoli only) were stone cold and the meat greasy. The third in our party ordered the chicken wings and paid $8 for 7 wings that he said were "tasteless". He had to cover them with hot sauce and pepper to get any taste. I ordered the nachos with chili, and while the chili was good, there were large chunks of raw green peppers and onions on top which gave a strange texture to the whole dish.

Everyone agreed that if we were to return to the hotel, we would not eat there again.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Went for a late breakfast on a quiet morning. Shift change? Apathy? Who knows. The service was non existent. Food was not good either. The place could be a lot better since it has a great location and atmosphere. Hoping management reads these Trip Advisor reviews and makes some improvements.