“Spaless in Waterloo, a disappointment”

Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Waterloo
Ontario
“Spaless in Waterloo, a disappointment”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Up and down experiences at this Holiday Inn. First stay was Jan. 2013, and loved the King Feature room - spacious, comfortable, clubhouse style decor with great HD tv and a better cable package than can be found in most Intercontinental Hotels. Clean, pet-friendly and perfectly located as a base for touring the Finger Lakes, exploring women's history, or shopping at the nearby outlet mall. Outdoor pool, so no swimming in January, and the spa tub was closed for maintenance but looked inviting. Room was clean and everyone was helpful and friendly.
Next trip was in June - Father's Day weekend, again a great room looking into the courtyard with the pool and the tennis courts, both of which were open. Lovely. Rooms very clean and the shower pressure is great. This time the spa tub was open, as was the sauna. Had it all to myself between 6 pm and 7 pm when the kids were with their families eating. Best spa tub ever, including soothing background music, and I love wet saunas. Lots of exercise equipment available, but I preferred to let the spa tub water jets pummel me into a smiling noodle state. Excellent facility.
Was looking forward to the same experience on recent late-November trip. An older travelling companion was having some issues about leaving the house. Coerced him into making the trip based on the pleasures of the spa and sauna, and the fact that this Holiday Inn had always provided rooms that felt very private. This time I was given a room facing the parking lot and Walmart. It also had two adjoining rooms with doors on either side that seemed pretty thin since I could easily hear the neighboring conversations and tvs. My companion was immediately uncomfortable. Front desk responded kindly and quickly, shifting us to an Executive King facing the courtyard (and very close to the spa-fitness center). Yippee. Got settled in, and ready to spa. Turned on the sauna to get it warmed up and went to check out the spa tub - door was locked. Hmmm, I had called two days earlier (before setting out on a 500 mile round-trip) to make sure the spa tub was open and was assured it was working perfectly and had not had any problems all season. Until now. Called front desk and soon learned that the PH levels had been checked were found to be out of whack, so the spa tub was closed for the only day we were there. Big darn it, big disappointment, hard to explain to companion, wasted time and money. Sauna was some solace, but companion was disturbed and we cancelled other planned stays and returned home early. Big setback.
Even though I really enjoy the location and comfort-level at this Holiday Inn, as well as the professional and friendly staff, I will have to think twice about planning a stay here in the future.. For me the spa and sauna were a holiday treat. but my experience over three visits shows that maintenance can not be relied upon. Prices are a bit high for a property without an indoor pool and I think it may be over-rated at 30,000 IHG Reward points for a "free" night, especially during the off-season.Big plus is that personel are professional and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are nice
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear HerIndoorsOntario,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. We are pleased you found our staff commendable. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced this visit with our Spa Tub being closed for maintenance. Your feedback will be taken into consideration in our efforts to provide the best service experience possible.

Again, we do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Booked a king room online through the priority rewards website (I'm a member of Holiday Inn's loyalty club, although rethinking the relationship after this visit). Was given a room with two twin beds that both had mattresses past their prime and told by management there was nothing they could do.

The property is tired; our room had a mildewy odor and worn furniture and carpets. Noisy air condition, uncomfortable bed and pillows meant we didn't get much sleep. I would not go as far as saying "disgusting," but we have definitely stayed in cleaner and more modern hotels for less money.

Ended up deciding to turn our two-night stay into a one-night stay because our experience was so awful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David C
holidayWaterloo, General Manager at Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear David C.

I was so sorry to read that you had an uncomfortable stay at our hotel. Somehow your reservation did get messed up and came through to us as a room with two double beds. I am not sure how that happened but I will be checking further into the situation. Please accept our sincere apologies.
Ottawa, On
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This hotel is well located for the outlet mall and the wine country. The rooms are spacious and was furnished with a mini fridge and microwave. Our reservation came with the breakfast which was surprisingly very good. The only negative about this establishment is that it's tired and is in need of refurbishing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear ChristineOttawa_On,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We are very happy that you liked our breakfast. On the other hand, I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced over the condition of the property. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Recently my wife and I had the opportunity to dine at the Heritage Cafe; and what a pleasant experience. Our server (Cindy) was knowledgeable about the menu selections, she provided great suggestions on various menu options; and paired wine with our dinner choices.The service was upbeat, friendly, and polished. So if you are in the area, and want a great place to dine with friendly outstanding service, try the Heritage Cafe; and ask for Cindy. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for the fantastic review!

It is nice to hear that you had such a positive experience at Our Heritage Café at the Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls. I will share your review with Cindy; she and all of our staff pride themselves in having happy guests and she will be so pleased to receive such great comments!

We appreciate the positive feedback and do hope that if you return to the Finger Lakes area you will again choose our Holiday Inn.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We were very happy with the room; spacious and it was nice having a fridge and bar area (king executive suite). We went there looking for a relaxing weekend to enjoy the finger lakes. You are close to two great lakes for wineries and cheese tours and everything else close at hand. It was convenient having a restaurant/bar on site and we were fortunate enough to have a room with a balcony to sit on and enjoy. Bathroom was a little dated but our room was clean and the front desk was helpful with any questions about the area. We have another trip planned for December and have the room already booked.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so you need to be specific if you don't want to carry a lot up the stairs.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience at our Holiday Inn. It is wonderful to receive compliments on our hotel and more importantly our people!

We are pleased that you are returning in December and look forward to seeing you then.
Denton, Texas
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We recently stayed here with a group of friends for a wine tour. The hotel was nice, the rooms excellent, and the stay pleasant. The rooms each had a fridge which was a nice feature and everything was very clean and hospitable. The restaurant, Heritage Cafe, was actually better than I would have expected at a hotel. The staff was friendly and professional. Overall I would say this is a testament to the Holiday Inn brand, good rooms and service. Nothing was outstanding but nothing was sub par in my opinion.

The hotel is very spread out so the walk to our room was long and there is no free breakfast but other than that I have no complaints.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the nice review!

We are very pleased that our cleanliness and hospitality made your stay pleasant.

The Holiday Inn slogan of “Great hotels guests love” is something that we strive to achieve everyday and we are proud that you had a good experience at the Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls!

We hope that if your travels bring you back to the Finger Lakes area you will again choose our Holiday Inn and thank you for taking the time to share your experience!
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I normally dont write reviews but I feel this trip needs one. The bad experience was almost instant. I booked a king bed and when I arrived it was a double bed. I did the sheet check and the sheets had orange stains all over them. When I went to the desk I was given a new room and the girl seemed uninterested that the sheets were dirty. The new room was dirty particularly the bathroom. The fan was also broke in the bathroom. We went for breakfast this morning the lady who "greeted" us had an attitude.. She brought us to two different dirty tables before she picked one for the bus boy to clean off.. He left water glasses from the previous people and one silverware warp that looked unused but the napkin was clearly dirty. Everything should've been replaced used or not that's disgusting. The topper however is when she brought over my orange juice and there was the biggest milk ring right at the top where you drink. A blind person could've spotted the milk stain. Knowing this was the standard of cleanliness we got up and just left without eating. I paid a lot of money to stay here and wished I booked somewhere else. It gives holiday inn a bad name and i makes me not want to stay with this chain again.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Hellopeopletraveling
Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn of Waterloo - Seneca Falls, NY and thank you for the feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your experience during your recent stay.

Your comments allow us to resolve any problem areas and take actions to correct those areas. I apologize that you were not satisfied and would appreciate getting the opportunity to discuss your issues further so that we can make changes for future guests. Please contact me at the hotel 315-539-5011.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterloo
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Seneca Falls
#2 of 4 in Seneca Falls
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Holiday Inn Express Hotels Geneva Finger Lakes
Fairfield Inn & Suites Geneva Finger Lakes

Been to Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls? Share your experiences!