Caribbean World Resorts Soma Bay
Movenpick.com
$126
$92
  • Breakfast included
Viva Blue resort & diving sports(Soma Bay)(Great Value!)
$78
SENTIDO Palm Royale(Hurghada)
$155
$127
1,406 results
All reviewsanimation teamgazebo barmain restaurantsales peopleitalian restaurantevening programbig thanksfakir showfishbelly dancesun loungersother nationalitiesrecommend this resortfamily roomhorse ridingnight showswaiter service
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Just got back from the Caribean Resort, the hotel was spotless the rooms nice cleaned daily, the staff were great pools spotless and nice beach, i have to say the food was not the best i think they cater more for the Russians.
I would say there was 95% Russians, not sure if this is fact but i was told that there is 15 rooms for the British 10 for Thomas Cook and 5 for others, the hotel put on a night for the British and the Germans which was a nice thought.
The drinks shorts vodka etc was awful i just drank wine and soda so i advice if you like a drink buy a few bottles from the airport to take with you.

1  Thank mitzey
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed here with friends the first week in September.

The good

The staff are fantastic, really genuine lovely people. I agree with previous reviews which say that they love the English because everywhere we went people were so glad we were English (reasons why listed later).

The hotel has beautiful grounds, good pools and facilities.

The rooms are large and bathrooms are lovely with large open showers. The cleaners are really good and will do anything for you.

The beach is great, but the beds are too hard. The sea is warm and clear and you can snorkel from the beach if you hunt about a bit.

The guys on the beach who sell the trips are lovely and like previous reviews I would recommend getting to know them. Eto for the snorkelling or boat hire and Ahmed for the quad bikes.

The snorkelling was amazing and the evening trip really stunning, worth putting up with the bad bits of the holiday for!

The spa is rustic but really good. The staff are so nice and really good massuers, we had a lovely afternoon there with a variety of treatents and our skin has felt amazing ever since! Again there are reps on the beach who I would suggest you haggle with.

The bad

The food is very bland, recommend you book the italian as much as possible. I am a veggie and I struggled here.

The alcohol is like meths, it doesn't matter what you order or dilute it with, all spirits are virtually unpalatable. The beach bar at the far end near the dive centre has better beer but that's about it. Thank goodness I took some duty free!

The entertainment is dire, but like other reviews worth a visit for hilarity. We are not bothered about entertainment when we go anyway.

The ugly

I was really ill and most people we met had upset stomachs. The pharmacist has a captive audience for his tablets, but get them they really work!

The Russians. They were rude to the staff, obnoxious to other guests and really took the shine off our holiday. They are clearly in some sort of league with the ownership of this hotel and as such the staff love the English because we are so pleasant compared to them. I have never encountered en-masse a group of people so selfish and down right nasty to staff. They weren't much better to other guests.

Thomas Cook. The rep is nice as plenty of people have mentioned, however she promoted their excusions by frightening you regards health and safety. Fair enough you might think, beach sellers, no insurance etc? WRONG. Thomas Cook list every legal loophole they can on their documentation, trip brochures and booking forms. READ IT. You are no more protected than if you book with the beach sellers. As a lawyer I personally think it is disgraceful that Thomas Cook reps promote their tours on the basis of safety fears, but their small print claims no liability as a booking agency for local operators and advises you are subject to local laws and your own insurance. This is the norm with most package operators, but its wrong to make out they are better than any of the local trip companies which they sub-contract anyway!

Overall I am pleased we got a very good deal on this holiday, I would not have been happy had I paid what some other people did! I would visit the Red Sea coast again for the snorkelling, it is a definite high point in my life. But for all inclusive will try to stick to the brand hotels who have a certain standard, Riu, Sentido etc

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank MsXXH
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed here in late Aug and had a great time. 43 degrees every day. We never had a problem with any part of the holiday. Our room was large with 3 double beds and the bathroom was clean and spacious.

The choice of food was excellent and had a good selection for vegeterians.

A different food theme every night made a change and the Egyptian night was awesome with camels coming right up to the main area.

There was so much to do if you didn't just like to sit in the sun, with sports and activities to keep everyone amused. The evening entertainment was well what can I say, worth going out for as they tried LOL.

There was enough sunbeds but do what the Germans and Russians do and go down before breakfast and spread your towels on the ones you want.

The only thing with any holiday to Egypt is you will get asked to go on a boat trip or have a massage. Just have to be firm and say no and as your tan develops you get left alone. We haggled and got a 2 hour boat trip into the bay to go snorkling in some great coral for just 15 quid each. We also did a camel ride into the desert. You can do quads also.

We will definatley go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank terryforster
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We booked our stay in this hotel based largely on the many favourable reviews on this website, particularly about the food. After returning this morning we cannot believe that we have stayed at the same hotel as many of the reviewers.

I'll start with the positives.

Hotel is very modern, clean, and well decorated and furnished. The rooms are spacious, massive bathrooms and walk in shower, good air con which is vital, and big comfortable beds.

The facilities are great, good selection of bars, a few massive swimming pools and a nice beach with a bit of a breeze making the sun a bit more bearable. There are also plenty of shops and also spa/gym facilities which we didn't use.

The local spirits are pretty awful but after a few you don't really notice any more anyway. The local beer, Sakara, isn't the best in the world but it it's not too bad either, definitely drinkable.

The staff are great and very helpful. Tipping them a few quid here and there goes a long way. We had one problem with a leak from the air con in the room which was sorted the same day. Our cases were taken to and from the room too, and the housekeeping lad did a great job on the room every day.

Now on to the negatives which unfortunately far outweighed the hotel's good points.

The food is absolutely atrocious. I'm not a fussy eater in the slightest but this was just terrible. On the second day I visited the beach grill and ate a 'freshly' cooked pasta dish. After a few mouth fulls I experienced what felt like a bag of sugar dropping from my mouth to the pit of my bowels and my holiday was never the same. After that the only thing I ate was Imodium and the odd chocolate bar from the hotel shop. I tried to visit the restaurants to find something to eat but after the sickness and bowel movements I experienced at that meal (and continue to experience nearly a week later now I am home) the thought of eating anything beyond a bread roll turned my stomach.

I thought maybe my experience was just an isolated one but from speaking to the few English people we did meet (and there was literally a few, more on that in a minute) everyone suffered the same fate and the over riding memory of their holidays will be the hourly stumble to the nearest toilet. We spoke to 5 different groups of British guests and every one of them found the food totally inedible and spent more time in the toilet than in one of the hotel's 4 restaurants which seemed to largely serve the same rubbish. They resorted to living off crisps and sweets from the hotel shop and most, myself included, hadn't eaten a proper meal in 4 or 5 days.

Secondly, this hotel is not for British guests. It seemed to be 95% Eastern European / Russian, many of whom were alien to the concept of queuing for meals, bar service, in shops or at Reception. Many who we encountered also lacked any kind of manners whatsoever, and were loud, rude and aggressive. I witnessed one Russian couple almost resorting to blows with an Egyptian working in the jewelry shop over a price; presumably he wouldn't let them have the item for free. The odd meal time I did attend was a free for all and they acquired plate upon plate full of food which could have comfortably fed them for a few months, never mind one sitting. This is not a hotel suitable for British, although the hotel staff who we spoke to would much prefer it if it was. I don't expect Blackpool with sun, but we were so far in the minority that it really shouldn't be sold by Thomas Cook.

All in all I am massively disappointed with the holiday. Unfortunately, a lovely hotel with great facilities and brilliant staff, who were always willing to go the extra mile to help you, has been totally spoilt by horrendous food and the sickness and diarrhea which accompanied it. Our trip back to Hurghada airport was the highlight of the week and this experience has sadly put me off visiting Egypt again in the future.

1  Thank Andy_has
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We got back from this hotel this morning i dont normally write reveiews but i thought i would shar our expereince from the past seven days at this hotel,

The chefs at this hotel re-heat the chicken and serve it again in the evening, some food wasn't cooked at all, at least Twenty english people have gone down with food posioning from uncooked and re-heated meats at this hotel within the past week, Kathy the Thomas cook rep wasn't interested, she blamed the Weather for us all being ill,

Walked out of the BBQ evening as this chicken was stone cold, Hashim the restaurant manger just laughed when we informed him.

In the main restaurant there were at least 25 birds flying around inside it, as soon as you went to get a drink they would fly down from the rafters and start eating your bread on your table.

This hotel requires removing from the Thomas cook listings, it is no where near a 5 star hotel.

Do not waste your money.

I shall be writing to Thomas cook and Watchdog about this hotel,

9  Thank F00dP0is0n