“Nice hotel but overpriced”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dakhla
Badawiya Hotel Dakhla
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Dakhla
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The rooms are clean and the location is beautiful (view from the pool is amazing), but there's nothing extraordinary that justifies the high prices. The food is oasis standard (rice and chicken or beef).

The location is a bit difficult. At about 3 km from Al-Qasr, it's just a way bit too far for easy access for lunch (because the hotel provides a half-board option). At least in the summer, the town shuts down from 1pm to 5pm, so it's even more difficult regarding food.

The staff is friendly and very helpful. There's WiFi in the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank joseph34

Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed one night at the Dakhla Hotel in the middle of Egypt’s Oasis country. The hotel looked very nice from the exterior due to its dome style architecture. However the rooms and the rest of the experience were not as nice. We were in the ‘new wing’ but our room didn’t feel new. Nor did it feel ‘antiquity’ or ‘authenticity’. It just felt ‘simple’ and maybe a bit ‘tired’. The fact that the power kept going out every 1-2 hours for a few minutes probably added to this experience. Happily the room was clean.

We had a large king bed. However our sleep was compromised because the bed mattress was quite hard. The room had a fan and was also air conditioned. However, the air conditioning would not automatically restart when the power returned. We had to re-start manually which would not have been too much of a problem if the batteries in the remote control worked. Some flies had accumulated in the room [it was the season] and the hotel’s answer was to bring us a can of bug killer. There was a nice porch overlooking farmer’s fields. However, the door to the porch was ill fitting and difficult to work. There was a table and two chairs and a 12 inch tube style TV. No bottled water was provided. The bathroom was clean with large sink and vanity and great shower. However the toilet ran continuously until I took the mechanism apart and fixed it. And two of the three light bulbs over the mirror which were burned out. There was no bottled water provided with the room. Hopefully this description gives future guests an idea of what to expect. Our room was a sample of one and so other rooms may be better or worse or same-only-different.

There was free wireless Internet on property. However it did not reach to our room so we had to go to the lobby. We also found it to be very very slow once families returned from their fields. So get your work done early.

We had dinner at the hotel so as to avoid worrying about the hygiene of local café’s The dinner was fixed menu pretty average tasting chicken kebob. I had hoped for a cold beer but was informed that the hotel does not have a liquor license. Breakfast was similarly simple.

We understand that there is one better hotel nearby at considerably higher price and one lesser quality hotel at bargain rates. In Dakhla Oasis, one can have their choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2012

You can't be wrong when you embark on a Libyen Desert Oasis Trip.
Saad and Hamdy with their experienced team will introduce you to their Beduin life.
Loved every moment over there: In the Dakla Hotel as well as in the Farafra one. And even more with them under the stars.
Wait to see our travel show: THE COLORS OF THE DESERTS or in German DIE FARBEN DER WUESTEN - soon to be screened on ARTE.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We spent five nights in this hotel with a large group of people studying the history and monuments in Dakhla. The rooms are located around a hilltop in a halfcircle, an interesting concept. Nice and clean rooms, extremely pleasant staff, good food and the cleanest sheets on the bed that I ever had in my many travels in this country. Being in Egypt one knows that there is always a problem with the watersupply, and this hotel was no exception: we suffered from no water, only very cold and/or only very hot water, completely unpredictable. One serious remark: if you suffer from a bad back: the matresses are very uncomfortable, too hard on a stone bed. Ask for an extra blanket to fold under your sore bones. The staff will be happy to help you.
From this location there are very interesting excursions to be made. Egypt-lovers who want to explore beyond the Nile Valley: this is your place to be!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Marianne520
Reviewed January 18, 2011

We only stayed for a night and the reception manager's lack of professionalism and attempts to rip us off really left me feeling sick in the stomach.
After a long drive into the western desert, we finally pulled up at the hotel with our guide and driver. Tired and hungry, we sat in reception waiting for the reception manager to assign us our rooms. Finally, after settling down and having dinner, we went to the reception to pay for our cokes, like said manager told us to. At reception, I started to look at a couple of postcards and he started to push more and more postcards onto me. When I decided to take some, he said they were 15LE each. That's £1.60 or US$2.60! For one postcard!!! I proceeded to say that I don't want to take all the postcards he's laid out but he kept pushing them onto me. In my state of tiredness and confusion, I agreed to taking two postcards. He totalled up the 2 Cokes (15LE each) and the 2 postcards and asked for 60LE. When I gave him 100LE, he cheekily said, 'Would you like to leave anything for the staff?' When I replied that I would do that tomorrow at checkout, he then said he didn't have the 40LE change for me (US$7). If you want to sell postcards, make sure you've got the change! I stood around looking confused and persuaded him to look for some change. Instead of asking us to pay at checkout tomorrow (which will then give him time to look for said change), he reluctantly dug out his wallet and gave me 20LE, saying that's all he had.
I just gave up and went back to my room. That was 80LE ($14) for 2 cokes and 2 postcards.
I know it's not like we're talking big sums of money. We've been ripped off in worse ways in Egypt but it was the way he went about it.
The next morning, our guide told him to give us a wake-up call at 7am so that we could leave by 9am. He knocked on our doors, and when I got out of bed to open the door, he said, 'You have to have breakfast now!' in the most abrupt tone possible. I said my partner and I had to get a shower and then be ready to go. He shook his head and said, 'no! Breakfast now!'
We were so annoyed that we just ignored him, and took our time getting ready for breakfast.
Great hotel but pity about the reception manager. Otherwise, we'd definitely be going back there again...the Western Desert is simply amazing...

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChiaSCH
Reviewed December 27, 2010

We booked a full 5 days tour from Luxor to Cairo with Badawiya travel and it was a magical trip.

We were three older couples – pick up at 7AM from our cruise ship in Luxor and driven to this hotel in Dakhla where we spent our first night. The hotel is beautiful and very tastefully decorated. The room and bathroom are very clean but water pressure can be a challenge sometime (it is after all in the middle of the desert). The restaurant was OK and the food was adequate. There is a beautiful deck where you can have your meals if it gets too stuffy inside. The swimming pool area is very beautiful. We were extremely pleased with our Badawayia tour and especially with our driver “Naser” . We spend 2 nights at Badawiya’s other hotel in Farafra (which was also very beautiful) and then one night in the white desert (camping), last day was the drive from the white desert to Cairo……the entire trip was unforgettable. We booked our tour direct with Badawiya travel with contact from their website - the were extremely professional ( http://www.badawiya.com)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank arosa
Reviewed October 6, 2010

it was very hot during this time of year and the air conditioning had a hard time keeping up with the temperature. the pool was therefore more welcoming than during any previous visit. the staff was friendly as always and the food fine.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank anneke50

Been to Badawiya Hotel Dakhla? Share your experiences!