“Interesting history, but too crowded”

Brotherhood - America's Oldest Winery
Book In Advance
More Info
$141.75*
and up
Full-Day Wine and Dine Tour with Shopping from New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Oldest winery in America.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Brotherhood winery has a very interesting history, but the wines failed to make much of an impression and the experience on the weekend was stressful. The proximity to the city means droves of people venture out on the weekends and huge, obnoxious groups will impact your experience. Forget a tour in the middle of the day as they often are way too large to have a good experience or you'll have to wait hours for the next tour. We ended up getting jammed in at a tasting table with a large group and had to wait for 15 minutes to start tasting while they got situated. I'm not sure why we couldn't get started earlier without them. The wine also failed to make much of an impression. Out of the 5 wines we tasted, I didn't really love any of them and didn't like 2 or 3. The patio is great for sitting out with friends during the warm months and sharing a sangria. Try to visit off hours.

1  Thank Tyler L
There are newer reviews for Brotherhood - America's Oldest Winery

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Went to Brotherhood Winery for their tasting and tour. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon and they were busy. There was a wedding going on at the same time but that didn't interfere at all with the tasting and tours. Overall was pretty good but not as good as I had expected.

IMPORTANT TIP: If you have allergies to dust or mold, consider taking a Benadryl or whatever before the tour. The historic cellar is, well, old, and they make NO effort to clean it up. I guess that's just how it's supposed to be.

The GOOD: Wines were good and very reasonably priced. Tour through the old cellar was cool but could have been much better with a better guide.

The BAD: Disorganized! We waited in line almost 20 minutes to buy our tour/tasting tickets because they have only one cashier. Note to winery - consider selling the tickets online, or add another cash register. The tour was somewhat disappointing because our guide was unprofessional and rushed us through without providing much history on the winery or allowing us to read signage that gave the back story. He blew through everything so quickly that the prior tour group had not finished their wine tasting in the "chapel," and so we had to wait another 10 or so minutes for them to clear a tasting area in the main tasting room. The tasting room was loud so it was hard for us to hear what he was saying about the wine.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Too big. No ambiance. Wines were pricey considering they are the producers. Had more fun tasting wine at Stu Leonard's on way home

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went out of my way while traveling with my wife & friends in the Hudson River Valley on 10/13 to visit the Brotherhood Winery with every intention of buying at least a case of wine. It was late in the afternoon and we decided not to take the tour. I'm very specific about the types of wine I will taste and was reluctant to bother with a full tasting. The receptionist was very kind and said it would be no problem to taste 2 or 3 of their wines w/o charge. I didn't find this unusual since I've been to several dozen wineries in the last 5 yrs.( including the fantastic Finger Lakes area) where a nominal fee is charged or to taste is free. In fact, I tasted 2 wines for free in Rhinebeck the day before. Well, we went to a server and she made such a stink about tasting even one wine (it was embarrassing), we left immediately. If they read this, they can be assured I will let my friends know this place is just a tourist trap. PS The Riesling which I tasted, was very poor and not worth $6 much less $10.

2  Thank Jenerous
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Although we arrived at 4:30 (5 pm is closing time) on a Wednesday for a tasting, the staff was extremely accommodating, and we had our own personal tasting with a friendly and knowledgable
man whose name I should remember. Despite our late arrival, he took his time explaining the history of the winery, and the qualities of the wines we were tasting. We've been to many wineries, but this was the first time we were able to choose our flight based on our own tasting preference - a real plus as my husband likes sweet wines and I prefer dryer varieties.
By chance the wine master was in the tasting room that day and we had the pleasure of meeting him - a refined, cordial, well spoken gentleman who personified the type of person I envision being in this profession.
If you 're going for the first time, and you plan take the tour, do the tasting, and eat at the cafe, be prepared to spend at least three hours or more. In talking to the staff in the tasting room, the Vinum Cafe dining experience (unlike many American restaurants) is supposed to be relaxed as it would be in Europe or South America.

Because we arrived so late, we weren't able to take the tour, visit the gift shop or eat at their onsite
Vinum Cafe, so we're already planning another day trip to this lovely spot.