“A great place for friends to meet”
Review of Grace's Restaurant - CLOSED

Grace's Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is our Thursday "place to go." The decor is great, as well as the staff. Very good food at a very good price. Several of us go there when they open around 4, play some games, have a few drinks, have supper and are home by 7. Yes we are older than 50! Thursday is Mexican night and the margaritas are good.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

I was a little nervous when we had to enter through the bar area, but when we were seated in front of the fireplace at a cozy table for two and the young man took our order I was put much more at ease. My wife ordered the chicken edward and thought it was one of the best chicken pastas that she has had. I ordered some kind of scollop dish that was a special that was cooked well but just a little bland. We had a couple of glasses of wine at very reasonable prices. All in all we were pleasantly surprised with this restaurant.

Reviewed February 5, 2010

Grace’s Lounge hit a home run for us…twice. Here’s why:
1. Grace’s tucks a mountain modern lounge on the backside of its more formal restaurant. This means you get the presentation and the food but in the comfort of your fleece sweater which is a necessity after a day of skiing one of the 4 nearby mountains (Gore, Whiteface, Hickory or West).
2. Grace’s offers an appetizer portion of every single one of their larger, pricier entrees.
3. Atmosphere, atmosphere, atmosphere. The lounge is a perfect balance between hip and cozy. We sat in a little nook near our own fire (there are two fireplaces). The full bar was tended by friendly, knowledgeable service. As a visitor you can sit and sip while listening to the amicable banter and exchanges between the locals who are eager to include you in their conversations…if you wish.
4. The chef is accomplished—-our choices had a lovely presentation and the flavor revealed the fresh ingredients. I had a horseradish and panko crusted salmon with a “green goddess sauce.” Tasted like a combination of wasabi and clouds.
5. A truly good restaurant will happily venture hors menu. My husband asked about a scallop dish he saw a patron eating the previous night. The server, proud of the freshness, explained it wasn’t part of the menu but happily had the chef create something special for my husband. The scallops were braised and seemed to melt in my mouth with a delicate flavor and texture (yeah, I raided my husband’s plate).
6. It was fun. We noticed a large upside down bottle of whiskey and inquired. The manager explained her love for whiskey and invited us up for a little whiskey lesson. Before we knew it were smelling the caps of about 10 different bottles and learning between the light florals and heady toffee/vanilla scents. Came with a few tastes as well. We settled on a digestif of Maker’s Mark on the rocks.

One last note: Our server was an effervescent person who LOVEs food, flavor and presentation. She introduced herself as Jeannie and when we complimented her on our experience she explained she was the general manager and had been there for 6-7 months. We'll be back next winter!

Reviewed January 6, 2010

During the Christmas holidays 2009 we ordered take- out from this restaurant, for my birthday. The food descriptions sounded like gourmet cuisine. It was the exact opposite. We were told to pick up the food in 1/2 hour. We arrived 20 minutes late, but when we arrived home it was still hot and did not need to be heated. One bite of the bitter sauce accompanying the escargot and we were all disappointed. I had to spit it out. Garlic lovers, but the chunks of roasted garlic were bigger than the snail. It was bad. The shrimp cocktail was put in the to-go box with the cocktail sauce but not separated. When we got it home the sauce was all over the shrimp. It tasted pathetic like ketchup. The sea bass was so rubbery that I could not even cut it with my fork. Finally, the steak was the least seasoned I have ever had. It had no flavor. I could taste no inspiration in the mushroom, brown sauce on top of it. It tasted straight out of a powder packet. Even the potato side was dry as if they had taken an old baker and tried to do anything with it. Needless to say we called them right away to see what could be done. The very gracious waitress apologized and recommended that we return what was left. 1/2 of the escargot app., 1/2 of the steak dinner, and 1/2 of the sea bass dinner was returned. We have since spoken to the manager and we appreciate her listening to our complaint. Our request for a portion of the bill refunded has not been answered. There was nothing comforting, delicious, or even mediocre about this food. I would not advise any friends, clients, tourists, or food connoisseurs to dine on this epicure's nightmare.

Reviewed June 25, 2009

My daughter's wedding reception was held at Grace's on June 20, 2009. It was exactly what she had dreamed of. The food, which guests ordered from a modified menu, was all served perfectly - flavorful, fresh and NOT usual reception food. The staff, directed by a very competent restaurant manager, was excellent - taking care of our every need. Although we had planned an outdoors wedding, weather did not cooperate, but the indoor site was excellent. I would recommend this location for anyone in the area wanting an elegant wedding.