“NICE SMALL TOWN RESTAURANT”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Lizzie Keays

Lizzie Keays
Ranked #3 of 21 Restaurants in Warrensburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Great meals and service in a comfortable casual atmosphere.
bergen county, nj
“NICE SMALL TOWN RESTAURANT”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Not to be confused with a high quality city restaurant, not a tourist trap either. Decent home cooking by nice people at a good value. Probably better for lunch, not a dinner place if you have high expectations.

• Visited August 2013

Chestertown, New York
“Great Food But Hard To Find Open”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Wonderful ambience, a step back in time with a nod to the colorful history of Warrensburg and this building. The food is delicious with a gourmet touch, fresh ingredients creatively combined and nicely seasoned. I recommend the quiche and also soups for lunch. Dinners are also really nice and it's a great place for couples. Service is excellent and very friendly and welcoming.

That being said, there are two issues. The first is that they have recorded big band music, which normally we love, but unfortunately the volume is inconsistent and sometimes it's very loud, meaning trumpets might be blasting while you're trying to eat. The other issue is half the time we can't figure out when they're open. We have tried several times only to find them closed. Today was one example, we were there at 1pm on a Saturday in August (peak tourist season) hoping for a nice lunch, and they were locked up tight. For some reason this is another one of those places that does not put a sign in the window telling you what their hours are so you can come back and it's very frustrating to find them closed during normal business hours. We have mentioned this to them in the past, still no luck with committing to being open whenever you wish and just letting people know with a sign. We've had the same experience at dinner time, cannot figure it out. If you are going out of your way or driving a distance, I recommend calling first rather than wasting a trip. But, if you happen to catch them open, you'll have an enjoyable meal and I do recommend it.

I am a new member of trip advisor who has been accused by the owner of Suzie Q's in Brant Lake in a rebuttal to my negative review of having ulterior motives and not reviewing his restaurant right after my last visit. If I had known trip advisor existed at the time we stopped going there, I would have. He seems to think I only publish negatives, he didn't respond to the actual problem I described and how my family was treated and he expressed concern that we might never be able to find a place we like to eat. Well, here it is, another place my family and friends frequent. Yes, we do go out to eat A LOT, with family and friends as well, that's a lot of business that a polite response to a review and a promise to resolve the issues, instead of besmirching the character and integrity of the reviewer, would have brought his way. I have published several more recommendations of GOOD restaurants in the area as well. Enjoy your trip!

• Visited August 2013
Thomas G, Owner at Lizzie Keays, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for the kind review. Just wanted to let the readers know that we no longer serve lunch. We stopped serving lunches in October of 2011. Our hours are clearly posted in the center of the menu board next to the front door, as well as on our answering machine. We are open every day in the summer season except mondays. The reviewer is correct that one should always call ahead because we are a small restaurant and seating is limited, so reservations are helpful. Thank you.
South Florida, Florida
“Not Our Night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We always eat at the Grist Mill when staying in Warrensburg but decided to expand our horizons and try Lizzie Keays this year, based on TripAdvisor recommendations. We were just seated on the porch when I remarked to our server that we were taking a vacation from the Grist Mill. She, whose name is also the name of a month, thoughtfully pointed out that the Grist Mill's dumpster was located directly across the street from our table! That pretty much set the tone for the rest of the evening. Although our table was set in front of us and the cloth looked clean, it sported large, unappetizing grease spots on the top of it. Eeew. Three tables on the porch had cloths on them, and three were bare. Miscellaneous screws were laid on the railing by the exit as if someone was working there and just got up and left. Some of the white lights on the porch just didn't work......OK lets try the food. I had the $8 caprese salad (tomatoes and mozarella slices, usually served with fresh basil and a balsamic drizzle) which was drenched in balsamic vinegar garnished with dried tasteless basil flakes. I asked our server, about this she told us "we don't have fresh basil" as if I had asked for fresh oysters instead of herbs............ .......my husband's overdone fish had dried parsley flakes as well. My lamb chops also were drenched in a "balsamic reduction" with tasteless dried rosemary. It felt like the cook's night off - at least I hope so for their sake. It was such a disappointment to expect a good meal and instead, get an ersatz one. Our check was handed to us by another server, with not a word. No "thank you", "have a good evening" - just silence. Note to Management: Train your staff, fix your porch, switch cleaning services and start planting some fresh herbs out back. Its hard to believe that all of the good reviews you got were real.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank naturalbeauty53
Thomas G, Owner at Lizzie Keays, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I would normally not respond to a review like this, letting any reader of it draw some obvious conclusions. However, the reviewer “hit below the belt” with the last sentence. So I do need to address her calling into question the validity of all of our positive reviews - implying that, what with all these screws rolling around, overcooked, tasteless food “drenched” in this or that, broken lights and stained tablecloths (eeew) -these other reviews must be fake. I would like to propose another possibility: maybe, just maybe, these other reviewers came to Lizzie’s in order to have a nice relaxed meal with friends and family, in a nice atmosphere, with great service and food, at a reasonable price. And their expectations were so exceeded that they decided to tell of their experience with a nice review. Maybe they didn’t spend all their time holding the glasses and silverware up to the light and picking every little thing apart – overemphasizing the negative and staying silent on the positive. The Gristmill is a wonderful restaurant – I would encourage this reviewer to continue going there.
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
“Great food, and Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We enjoyed dining on the patio. My salmon on a cedar plank melted in my mouth.
Our waitress was very personable, and made us feel welcome

• Visited July 2013
Oneonta, New York
“Good food and nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Never a complaint. Good consistent food, service and atmosphere.martini Shrimp are a favorite. Outside deck nice. Open all year.

Visited December 2012