“Family Rafting Trip”

Wild Waters Outdoor Center
Reviewed July 8, 2013

On our annual 4th of July Trek to Friends Lake, NY (near Lake George) we have gone on a white-water rafting trip with Wild Waters Outdoor Center in Warrensburg for the past two years, previously we had used a different company. Once we used Wild Waters, we will never use any other company. The guides are very professional, knowledgeable, and just plain fun, making our trip extremely enjoyable. Plus, we get a nice lunch midway down river, as well as dinner upon our return. There is also a photographer who takes fantastic pictures (about 8 per raft) of all rafts. Needless to say, as long as we go to Friends Lake, we will be doing the whitewater rafting with Wild Waters. Our guides this year were Becky & Tamara....two thumbs up!!!

FunFamilyTravelGuy, Owner at Wild Waters Outdoor Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thanks so much for such a nice review! We are glad you and your group had a great time. We look forward to seeing you rafting with us again next time you are visiting the Friends Lake area.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"a lot of fun"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 4, 2013

What a tremendous experience!! Wild Waters did a fantastic job of calming many "first-timer, non-swimmers" through this adventure. Tom was an AMAZING guide: funny, knowledgeable and very safety conscious. This was a company team-building outing but would recommend it as a "must" in your lifetime. I will be coming back with my husband as a birthday gift to him. I can't say enough positive things about the experience. GO WILD WATERS!!!!

2  Thank ChristinaS5112

Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review. We are very lucky to have T as one of our guides. He has great knowledge about whitewater rafting and enjoys guiding our guest down the river. We pride ourselves on taking first time rafters down the river and showing then a great time. We look forward to seeing on your next trip up with your husband on his birthday!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

What a great way to spend quality time with family and friends! The sights, sounds and enriched memories are a thrill to experience. This is my first review of the company and it was our familys' 2nd trip with them.

Troop 99, South Glens Falls Boy Scouts and family have been enjoying Whitewater Rafting with them since mid 2000. We are fortunate to live closeby and this make access easy and more enjoyable as you will be tired and slightly sore after a full day of rafting, paddling, swimming, water cannon fights, pirate boarding and raft hijacking [All in good Fun].

This experience is phenomenal and I think it’s totally worthwhile for the money. We’ve had trips with our children, some friends, in a large organized group of 4 rafts. Been fun each and every time. Each trip is different: weather, height of the water level, particular guide[s] can all be variables that keep it interesting. What remains the same are the great people (guides and other staff) that really make you glad you picked this livery to raft with. This time, we chose Tom or "T" as our guide. It was a great trip! Tom is bright, very entertaining and absolutely devoted to helping you have the most fun that you can. He also shares a great amount of information on the river features and the surrounding forests. Very knowledgeable and wants your rafting trip to be the best it can.

You get a lot more for your money as Doug (the owner) is always on hand to check on people’s comfort and to give advice and direction Overall, the staff and guides are very helpful!! AAA+++. They are a great resource for figuring out exactly what to wear for the combination of temperatures you may face. PLUS AJ, the chef, sends a great lunch along that we have during the trip. A choice of different sandwiches, snacks, dill pickles and treats along with the best tomato soup ever made! all of this is included in the basic trip pricing.

After your long ride, you come back get changed and have a very hearty and extremely tasty dinner made by AJ, the resident chef. He is a great cook who makes sure the food is both tasty and hearty as you have burned allot of calories during this activity. His slightly spicy red pepper /portobello pasta dinner is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! In addition, during dinner, Jim (a professional photographer) has a slide show going on a TV with all the shots he got of everyone going through the rapids. Absolutely amazing action shots! Usually 8 - 12 shots per raft so you can see yourself from different angles and at various stages of paddling. It’s well worth the few extra bucks to share these memories.

We are always pleased with Wild Waters Outdoors and just wouldn't take a chance on finding out that another rafting company wasn't very good or not as much fun! Take charge and do something you and your children will remember for ever! We had youngsters aged 11 and up and the water level was very high for comparison purposes.

We are glad your Scout troop had such a nice time. I am an Eagle Scout and always enjoy introducing the scouts to the thrills and excitement of whitewater rafting. We are lucky to have such a great chef in AJ. He cooks up great meals every trip and the guides look forward to his dinner just as much as our guest. We look forward to seeing your troop next year!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I am very happy to have my 50th TA review (the one that gets me my propeller hat – I mean, Top Contributor Badge) be for the fine folks of Wild Waters Outdoor Center.

This is my second review of the company and it was our 9th trip with them.
We’ve been enjoying Whitewater Rafting with them since 2007 and have often gone twice a year.
We live in NYC and it is over 200 miles each way. So, we certainly can’t just drop by.
We have to stay over for at least 2 nights (our preference to not drive over 4 hours and raft on same day) and often stay 3 nights so as to spend a bit of time in the area enjoying the restaurants, shops, etc.
With lodging, eating out, etc, the 3-day weekend can cost us over $1,000.
But we always enjoy it and think it’s totally worthwhile.

I’ve gone several times with just my wife. We’ve had trips with our kids and some friends (one raft-full) and have organized groups as large as 24 (3 rafts).
Been fun every time.

Each trip is different: weather, height of the water, particular guide can all be variables that keep it interesting.

This time, we chose John S. as our guide. We’ve known him for years and have been looking forward to riding with him. It was a great trip!
John is bright, very entertaining and absolutely devoted to helping you have the most fun that you can.

I am legally blind and an experienced rafter.
John absolutely took both into account. He made sure I didn’t trip on rocks when we got out for lunch and he let me have the front see (most action) whenever I wanted it.
Couldn’t ask for more.

But you get more, a lot more!
Doug (the owner) is always on hand to check on people’s comfort.
He’s a great resource for figuring out exactly what to wear for the combination of temperatures you may face (we had 70 degree air temp but the water was only 40!).
Not only does Doug give good advice, he has so much gear available: wet suits, dry suits, booties, splash jackets and some of the best quality PFDs I’ve ever used.

After your ride, come back get changed and have a very hearty and extremely tasty dinner made by AJ, the resident chef. Oh! And he sends a great lunch along that we have during the trip.
A choice of different sandwiches and the best tomato soup ever made!

During dinner, Jim (a professional photographer) has a slide show going on a TV with all the shots he got of everyone going through the rapids. Absolutely amazing action shots with the whitewater sometimes swallowing half the boat!
Usually 8 - 12 shots per raft so you can see yourself from different angles and at various stages of paddling. It’s well worth the few bucks. I think we’ve gotten the full CD just about every time.
My wife and I have rafted all over the world (Thailand, Bali, Scotland, Jamaica, etc) and we know a good trip when we have one. WWO is worth coming back to.
There are other liveries in the area. And I can’t say that I’ve tried them.
But we’re always so pleased at WWO, we just wouldn’t take a chance on traveling 200 miles and finding out that another company wasn’t as much fun.

I’m very glad to see almost every other reviewer giving 4 and 5 star ratings to WWO.
As for the lady to gave 1 star and recommended using another company, I guess it has to be taken in context. She was complaining about there being too many flies on the river.
That is something that could make a trip less enjoyable to be sure.
But: 1) you should know to wear insect repellent on this trip.
And 2) does she think the flies weren’t bothering rafters from other companies???
It’s as important to avoid nutty reviewers as it is to avoid insects on the river!

Looking forward to our 10th trip!

Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice and informative review. Our goal has always been to provide our guest with the best rafting experience possible. It is nice that you noticed our attention to detail and how we try to make each of our guest feel comfortable and well taken care of. If all of your reviews are this in depth it is no wonder you won the hat with the propeller! We look forward to seeing you up here again for your 10th but not last trip!