“Thrilled with this find--we'll be back!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Tin Brook Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Walden B&B and Inns
Astoria, New York
“Thrilled with this find--we'll be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

My fiancee and I recently spent the weekend here for our anniversary, and we were delighted with the Tin Brook Inn. Our host, David, was friendly and accommodating of our schedule, despite the fact that we arrived later than we had originally thought we would. Although our host had a full schedule, he was always available to us by phone and served us delicious breakfasts in our room on each of the two mornings that we stayed: french toast, scrambled eggs, and sausage the first day, bagels, scrambled eggs, and sausage the next.
We'd originally booked the Pear Tree room, but the house, first built in the 1790s, is undergoing some renovation, so David gave us our choice of available rooms. The Pumpkin Patch room was spacious and comfortable, furnished with a full bath and Netflix Instant Watch on the television. The water was sulfurous, as stated by a previous poster, but that didn’t impede our visit. David provided us with plenty of bottled water to drink and use for brushing our teeth.
All in all, it was an unbelievable value for the price, considering that other b&b's in the area charge twice as much or more. We are already planning to return in the fall!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TinBrook, Owner at Tin Brook Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Thanks you two. It was a pleasure taking care of you. The water problem has been fixed. Bad Water Heater. See you in the fall.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

There are pros and cons to everything, as we all know. These are mine based on a 3 night stay at Tin Brook B & B with my husband and I in one room and my parents in a separate room.

Pros: Owner/David was a great communicator and very accommodating, even considering we arrived late on Thurs. night. Nicely decorated, spacious, clean rooms.
Affordable prices. Our son who graduated from West Point on Sat. stayed with us that one night. We were not charged extra and David provided a cot for him.

Cons: Sulfer Water! The sulfer water had a very bad odor. This is not mentioned anywhere on the B & B website and could be a deal breaker for some. David did offer bottled water to drink and make coffee. Our first morning there (Friday) we were served a delicious breakfast but when we arrived back Fri. night we found a note from David that stated he had to work late and we would NOT be served breakfast and advised where to find muffins/bagels in a separate area of the place. I was not happy about that. Needless to say, we did not go searching for the muffins. When we arrived back Sat. night, David asked what time we wanted breakfast served on Sun morn. We said 8, he said, how about 7:30 because he had to go to work, we were served at 7:15. The coffee containers were not refilled, we had to ask for it and the coffee maker was extremely old and cheap. The trash was not emptied, no clean towels, and there was no iron/board in the room, no hair dryer in the room. There was no smoke alarm in my parent's room. Areas of the back yard was an eyesore, old fencing and lumber laying around. I believe it is nearly impossible to work a full time job AND run this place. David really didn't have time for the guests.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I wanted to take a minute to respond to this customers review of my Bed and Breakfast. I will respond to each of the concerns in the order in which she posted them. I also wanted to state that our rate here at the Tin Brook is $69.99 per evening.

Sulfur Water. This guest complaint was 100% legitimate. We had a problem with our hot water tank that was creating the sulfur smell in the water. This problem has been resolved. The water tank was replaced. I would have moved this guest to another hotel or Bed & Breakfast but as she stated it West Point Weekend and there was not a single room available for 5 counties. It is the biggest event in this area every May. As this guest also stated there was plenty of bottled water provided to all of the guests to use.

The guest also mentioned that they were advised Friday night that on the Saturday morning of their stay they would not receive a hot breakfast served to them in their room. This protest is accurate as well. Instead a full continental breakfast was left for them in the kitchen of the Inn. It consisted of fresh baked muffins, fresh bagels with cream cheese and strawberry butter. A variety of cold cereals and milk. Fresh fruit, fresh baked blueberry and banana nut loafs as well as orange and apple juice.

For Sunday mornings breakfast this guest was served a hot country breakfast to their room at 7:15am. It was served 15 minutes earlier then we agreed. I’m not sure how this happened. I was cooking breakfast for 16 guests that morning and must have got ahead of myself somewhat. Following breakfast and cleaning up I left for my other job. I am a 12 year veteran of the Village of Walden Police Department.

There was also mention that they did not receive clean towels, the trash was not emptied and that the coffee container was empty. Upon check in all guests are advised that our policy here at the Tin Brook is that we respect all guests privacy and that we do not enter a guests room during their stay unless we are requested. All guests are given a printed receipt and a business card and with my personal cell phone number on it. They are instructed to call me at anytime for anything. She stated she had to ask for these items. That is exactly how I like to accommodate guests. If you need something just ask and I come a running. If not I respect your room and privacy.

As for the coffee container being empty and the coffee maker being old and cheap, we don’t use coffee containers at this Inn. Each room is stocked with pre-packaged one pot packages. And the coffee maker is standard just like you would find in just about any hotel. Also we do not stock each room with an iron and ironing board or hair dryer. That’s why she did not find any one of those in her room. She asked for them and I brought them right to her.

The comment about no smoke detector in her parents room is a complete mystery to me. There are smoke detectors in all of our rooms. They are hard wired all together. If one goes off anywhere in the Inn they all go off.

This guest also stated that there was lumber and fencing left in spots of the yard. This complaint is accurate as well. It was May (spring) here in New York. Most construction for most people in the Northeast is started about this time. We were in process of pouring a new stamped concrete walking path around the garden. It did not interfere with this guest stay at all. We do not perform any actual work while any guest is at the property nor did it interfere with the safe entering or exiting of the rooms. It was in the back yard around the garden.

Finally this guest stated that, “Owner/David was a great communicator and very accommodating” and that I let her son, a west point graduate stay here for free.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walden
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Montgomery
The Thayer Hotel
The Thayer Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Point
The Borland B&B & Brunch House

Been to Tin Brook Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!