“Wedding heaven”

The Inn at East Wind
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wading River
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Our daughter was married in the estate at the East Wind Conference Center. The physical plant had a chapel, private room for the wedding party and parents, waiting room while pictures were being taken, a dinning room with a dance floor, separate dessert room. All matters covered. Food was quite good with many options. The dessert room was actually too much. One criticism is that there was too much food. I would have liken less food for less money.
We had to provide the minister which ended in a disaster. Not being from the area, we had to settle for a minister suggested by East Wind. I believe he introduced himself as Father John. he did not follow the script. Bible reading did not take place. The Bride and groom did not say any vows. He said them for them. Those attending stood during the entire service.
We also stayed in the hotel for the evening. Rooms were spacious, comfortable and on site. They were used by the bride party for dressing, etc.

Wonderful wedding, except the minister. Give it my highest recommendation.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JWilliamH
Johanna Z, Manager at The Inn at East Wind, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear J William H,

Thank you for the excellent review of our entire facility. I am so happy to see that you fully enjoyed your stay at the Inn and that our accommodations left a lasting impression!

I am thrilled to read that you had a wonderful time at your daughter’s wedding and that we were able to over-deliver on your expectations, but do apologize if the minister fell short and will pass along all of your feedback.

We hope to see you back soon – best wishes to your daughter and new husband on their new beginning together!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband, daughter and I just stayed here for a wedding. Pulling up, the grounds are beautiful. Very nice curb appeal. Checking in was quick and easy and again the lobby was very nice looking. The problem started when walking to our room. The carpet throughout the hallway is so worn, dark and outdated. Then when we got in our room, outdated is an understatement. The room was large but that's all it really had going for it. The carpet is probably as old as the hotel and it shows. Again, very worn and stained. The bedspreads are as old as the carpet and it gave me the "heeby geebies" touching it to get it off the bed. The furniture is very old and dark and the drapes are the same. The wallpaper needs to go as well. I get that 30 years ago this may have been a beautiful place to stay but it is not anymore. My daughter is 2 1/2 years old and I didn't want her touching anything in the room. The thought of all the dust buildup and other unsanitary things creeping around the carpets and bedspreads really grossed me out. There was an option to stay at a different hotel and I immediately regretted my decision to stay here for the convenience of attending a wedding there and then just walking up to our room. A short shuttle ride to a Nearby hotel would have been worth it. The wedding itself was beautiful and the reception hall was very nice. I just wish that they put as much care into the rooms as they do the reception halls. I did give this 3 stars because the bathroom was pretty clean and spacious. I would have given it less stars if not for this reason.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Kim M
Johanna Z, Manager at The Inn at East Wind, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear Kim M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our grounds, check-in process, and the wedding you attended. I will make sure to let our entire team know - thank you!

I do apologize if the aesthetic of our European-inspired Inn did not meet your style expectations, but wanted to reply back to some of your comments since we take your feedback seriously. The Inn opened only 12 years ago with a very specific design that we are proud of and spent a lot of time building and decorating. Since opening, we continually update all of our spaces as needed. In fact, all room carpeting has been replaced within the last two years and the bed coverings have all been replaced just this past month. Our housekeeping staff works around the clock to keep each and every room clean and tidy for our guests. Your experience is so very important to us that we hope you give us another chance so you can see all of our improvements...

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Recently attended an event and spent the night I can only say that there catering was good however they need to get out of the hotel business the room was filled with mold the wallpaper was peeling with visible black mold behind and the carpet was wet around the room AC and smelled of mold. The table tops were stained and lifting the room chair springs were shot, Very disappointed. Even encountered drenched carpet in the hallways.

Room Tip: Stay some where else unless you like the smell of mold and room freshener.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Seasoned T
Johanna Z, Manager at The Inn at East Wind, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear Seasoned T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us at East Wind Long Island. I am sorry to read that your room was less than satisfactory and would ask that you please call 631.929.3500 and let us know your room number so that we could follow up on its condition. Know that we take your comments and feedback seriously and appreciate you taking the time to provide them.

I am glad to read that our catering service was very good and we do hope you will give the Inn another chance in the future.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

After calling several times, I couldn't get anybody to help me make a reservation. The girl that answered the phone said that she was the only one there and to call back another time. That was the last call I made.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank LorraineP631
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

I will start by saying that all of the people on the staff were very helpful & pleasant. With that being the overall review of our one night stay was extremely disappointing.

1. The room was freezing when we checked in...heater was missing a piece. We picked up the out-dated, unlabeled phone (had to infer that 0 was used to contact the front desk) to get it serviced. The TV needs to be in put in a museum for historical value. I swear, I do not want to be dramatic...but it was hard to watch the screen, since it's so dramatically different to what we are used to now.

2. Went to put my belonging in the safe, and the battery was low, so had to take my stuff down to the spa

3. The spa accommodations were sub-par. The relaxation room furniture was not very comfortable, there was no lemon or fruit infused water was offered, the water that was offered was in a cooler...that wasn't cool. There were not many toiletries offered in the dressing room area, the lotion was in a big industrial pump bottle...which didn't even work.

4. We did have a lovely dinner at Desmond's, and our waiter was phenomenal. Once dinner was over at 9:20ish, we closed our check with the intention of getting a night cap at the adjoining pub. When I sat down, I was told they were closing up early. So I was unable to have a drink at 9:30. We the went to front desk to see if there was another place we could go, and was told we could drive somewhere...or they could see if they could get us a bottle. Both options were unappealing to us. We then prematurely retired to our room, to watch terrible TV on the outdated TV.

All in all, I am so glad I loved the company I was with, because all of these short comings would've been amplified!

Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank CGlaser11312
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Pulling up to the property it is impressive; huge, beautifully landscaped, neat and clean. We had a little trouble finding which door to enter to register but we did get in through a side door and signs led us to the desk. Check-in went well although, as it was our first time there, I would have liked a little more explanation of the grounds and offerings.

Our room was huge made all the more apparent by its minimal furnishings. A king bed, a TV, with a tiny desk and chair shoved into a corner. There was one additional chair, like the desk chair, firm, wooden, upright. The bathroom was clean and had an inviting jetted tub. The room also seemed clean but the bedspread was very worn and when I pulled it back there were several dark stained spots on the underside. Yuck. Neither of us slept very well.The mattress was very uncomfortable and just too firm for us. It also seemed that the room was a neon glow from little lights coming from the smoke alarm, alarm clock, TV and more. The curtains didn't help with even the weakest of morning light.

The desk staff was friendly and polite. The house keeping staff was not. I'm used to hotels where when you come across staff they usually meet your eye, say hello, and smile. That did not happen here. On several occasions I said hello when I encountered housekeeping and was usually ignored and once was given a weird look and then they turned their back to me. Very odd.

Our waiter at dinner was not very happy either. His service was average but his attitude was a little off. And a bit unprofessional as he made a point of telling us that the certificate we had towards dinner could not be used to pay his tip. Strange as the certificate was very small and didn't even cover the cost of dinner let alone the tip too. ?? The food itself was below average. The nachos were OK but not great. Chips with melted cheese and covered with a canned tasting beef chili. The pot-stickers were cabbage dumplings fried until they were too hard to even bite into. The "dipping sauce" was a too thick glop of...maybe teriyaki? My dinner partner said the steak sandwich was OK. I wasn't fond of it. The steak was mushy and I didn't like the taste. We agreed that the French fries were lousy; shoestring with a little crisp on the outside and dried out nothing on the inside. At least the prices were on the low side for the bar fare food. We did have one very positive food experience in the hotel. It was having breakfast at the coffee shop. We had their egg sandwiches, which actually had 2 eggs and was full of bacon on a fresh roll. Excellent!

The pool area was messy with towels strewn around (don't know why because you have to sign out towels at the front desk). But the meeting rooms and banquet rooms looked lovely and appeared to be well appointed.

This place seems to be all flash and veneer wanting to be four star but not making it...the substance just isn't there. With some work put into the food and the staff maybe this place could live up to its grand looks.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank metalmaiden
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Very gaudy out dated rooms. Drawer missing from t.v. hutch. Poor sound proofing. Heard the booming music from the ball room (they paid alot i'm sure. they should be able to play the music as loud and as long as they want. I shouldn't have to hear it). Security? Drunken partiers banging on my door at 3am. All of this in one night. After dropping over $1000.00 between room, room service, spa, restaurant, shop and coffee house, and expressing my concerns, the very lovely young lady at the front desk was able to take $40.00 off my bill

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Danford's Hotel & Marina
Danford's Hotel & Marina
#1 of 2 in Port Jefferson
Hampton Inn Long Island - Brookhaven

Been to The Inn at East Wind? Share your experiences!