“Room was musty”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wading River
Baltimore, Maryland
“Room was musty”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Attended a friends wedding in August. Our room was musty, moldy and smelly. There was a huge dehumidifier in our room, but when I mentioned the smell to the front desk, they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. They said they would have a maid look into it and stole my $300. An offer of a discount would have been nice.

Room Tip: Ask which room has the huge dehumidifier in it and refuse to take it especially if you have breathin...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed at the East Wind while attending a golf school down the road. it was recommended by the school and seemed to be the most convenient option. First off the "Inn" is really more a enormous catering operation with 50 or so guest rooms. There were 2 weddings going on the day we arrived so lots of activity but no real impact on our room as we were located away from the function areas (not the case with all rooms). The room was acceptable and clean. The furniture and style was a little dated for my taste but it is consistent with how they advertise the place. They could use some updating, the bedding is a little "vintage", old tube style TVs with crazy volume fluctuations and varying reception. There are only two drawers for clothes in the TV armoire and both fell off their tracks when we opened them. The bath looked up to date and the room included a large safe, a desk, a couple of chairs and an old style 2 cup drip coffee maker with some food service coffee (we skipped it).

The property has a large restaurant which is mediocre in its reviews so we stayed away and small convenience store which sells Starbucks and snacks. Indoor pool in the basement (no natural light), but no outdoor pool and a rather pricey spa.

Overall our stay was fine, after all we were not there to use the facility but meanly to sleep. If you are looking for a place where you can spend the day this is not your spot.

The problem comes with the customer service. On check in the front desk person knew very little about the area. After we checked out and were on our way home I realized a left a watch in the room safe. I called the hotel from the road that evening and got the voicemail of the front desk where I left a message. The next day I had not received a call back so I tried again. This time they answered but I got a little run around about there being no one to check immediately but they would get word to housekeeping and get back to me (my room was about 25 feet from the front desk). Again no call backs. This went on for 5 more calls over another day and a half until I finally called looking for the manager and I got some attention. Ten minutes on the phone and they supposedly checked the room and housekeeping and found no watch.

I am not accusing anyone of anything as it is my own fault for leaving it behind but the run around and two days of calls was very frustrating. In all that time I do not know if the room was rented again or what could have happened, I just know where I left it.

So if you need a place to rest your head the Inn at East Wind works, but I would not call this a value for what you get in a room or property, but it is probably one of the better options for the area. Just don't leave anything in the room that you want back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the functions spaces and the entrances function guest will be using.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
West Islip, New York
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had stayed here one other time about 6 years ago and loved our room. On this most recent trip we were simply choosing to stay instead of driving home after a party. We checked recent reviews and were a little nervous because some were not favorable. I am happy to report that the room we were assigned was fine. I will agree that the furnishings could be updated, especially the TV. The bathroom also is a bit outdated. But the size of both the room and bathroom were spacious. It was quiet, and clean, which was really all we needed for pur one night stay. The price of 129 was reasonable. The best perk is robes in the room. We didnt stay long enough to use them, but it was fun to have them available.

Room Tip: Second floor is quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights because I was a part of a wedding party that was also being held on the property. Because of this, we had the opportunity to sample most of what the hotel has to offer. The rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable. Although they were a bit overpriced, it was worth it to have everything related to the wedding (hotel, hair and makeup at the salon, restaurants and the wedding itself) all in the same location. For those of you wedding planning, the venue was wonderful. Incidentally, the hotel spa also did a great job on my hair and makeup for the event. The hotel staff was courteous and attentive, and the hotel itself offers good dining options (a restaurant and a cafe that sells Starbucks coffee and other things), so you have everything you need in one place. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a wedding venue or even for a couples weekend getaway.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank preciosa919
Miller Place, New York
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Been to a number of these events at the East Wind and nothing improves. The sound system doesn't accommodate the size of the room. Food service fair. Bar service deplorable with five and dime glasses and a suspicion on the scotch matching the label. Well kept building and grounds. However, they have a wastewater management problem quite obvious on the north side of the grounds.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Wading River hotels

Holbrook, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I attended the wedding of one of my closest friends. The service, the food and the guest room were all wonderful. I can't say enough nice things about East Wind. I would recommend this venue to anyone!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary J
Westchester, NY
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at the Inn because of a friend's wedding. They did not book the wedding guests there because they were not given a discounted rate for guests - but we decided to stay there for convenience. One week earlier we called the facility and spoke to the reservations desk - we asked if we could check in earlier than check-in time because we were traveling some distance to get there. We were told "No problem - just come on down early and the room will be ready." That day we arrived about one hour early. Not only were they refusing to allow us into the room early (it was only one hour earlier than check-in time!) but they desk clerk was very rude, saying that "people are always trying to get in here earlier than usual!" I asked that the manager be called, and he wanted the name of the person who gave the okay on the phone. When I told him that the reservations department made the arrangements he said they had no authority to do so, and still would not allow early check in. He then checked for availability, and stated another room was available, despite that fact that we paid extra for king bed, larger room, etc. When I asked if we would be reimbursed the difference, he stated we would have to wait for the reserved room. Quite rude - every one of them. My wife and I will never stay at that Inn again, and we will give negative recommendations every chance we get.

Room Tip: Rooms do not matter when the staff is rude and unfriendly.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Danford's Hotel & Marina
Danford's Hotel & Marina
#1 of 2 in Port Jefferson
SpringHill Suites Long Island Brookhaven

Been to The Inn at East Wind? Share your experiences!