“4 of us enjoyed the Cambodian noodle (pho) soup!” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Soup Spoon
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, Cafe, Soups, Cambodian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Description: Welcome to The Soup Spoon, where we are so much more than your average bowl of soup! Here, we specialize in what we like to call Cambodian comfort food, and while very similar to Thai and Vietnamese cuisine, our dishes are very unique. The majority of our dishes are family recipes that have come straight from Cambodia, and how we prepare and serve our food here is just how our family enjoys it at home. It is our sincerest hope that you enjoy it just as much as we do! We pride ourselves on meticulously making every batch of soup, sandwich, and spring roll, and our main goal is to provide you with an amazing experience combined with a unique array of menu options and flavors. To achieve this, we have partnered with other local businesses to ensure outstanding quality and support of our local economy. We thank you for your patronage, and look forward to sharing a taste of Cambodia with you!
Volusia County, FL
“4 of us enjoyed the Cambodian noodle (pho) soup!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

While vacationing in upstate NY, our friends suggested a late lunch at The Soup Spoon in Victor. We all enjoyed it. We all chose pho soup, but with different additions. I had the pho noodles with chicken, my wife chose the pho with meatballs, one friend had the pho with steak and chicken, and the last had the pho noodle soup with shrimp. The server/preparer explained all the sauces and additions on the table. Small servings of lemon, scallions, cilantro and mung beans were also available. She also talked about spices in the basic broth. Service was good and pleasant. A different experience for us.
By the way, the noodles are gluten-free rice noodles. I think all the other ingredients might be OK for people with dietary restrictions about wheat, but I can't be 100% certain.

• Visited July 2014

Macedon, New York
“Pleasant Soup-rise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

The reception is very pleasant. The food has a unique quality that ensures I will return. Just the perfect amount of food for my lunch break.

• Visited July 2014
West Virginia
“Late-evening caller-still friendly reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

Soup Spoon closes at eight. I arrived a few minutes before. No problem. Friendly counter server said I could eat in the dining area. I chose a take-out instead. I ordered their pho with shrimp. They gave me healthy portions of broth, shrimp, and rice noodles, then carefully packaged sprouts, garlic, cilantro, and lime separately so when assembled the soup would still have crunch and fresh taste. I think good value at $7.50. I'm only sorry I live 325 miles away -- the Soup Spoon is almost worth the trip.

Visited April 2014
Canandaigua, New York
“Good but with reservations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Others have described the menu so I wont go into details. The soup was quite tasty and steaming hot but got cold very quickly (maybe heated in a microwave oven?); the hot tea came in a pot that apparently did not retain heat. The service started out great but deteriorated quickly. The owner (manager?) was very friendly and helpful at first and even offered a free dessert for my friend whose birthday we were celebrating - but when we were done with our main dishes, we waited 45 minutes for the dishes to be removed and dessert brought. The owner appeared to be talking to salesmen and forgot about us; the kitchen staff ignored us. The restaurant was also freezing; I felt like keeping my coat on while I ate.

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Rochester, New York
1,880 restaurant reviews
“Very good food, walk-thru service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I ate at the Soup Spoon today, and I did enjoy it although I'm not going to end up giving it a '5,' as have most people. This doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it. It just means that I found no "wow" factor here, but it was still a very good lunch.

The Soup Spoon is a "natural Cambodian" restaurant that features Pho, a noodle-in-broth soup that can have shrimp or other meat served in it for an extra cost. There are also many other items on the menu, which you order as you go through the serving line. You do not order at your table, but at the counter as you walk in.

I ordered a bowl of Pho, to which I added the shrimp. I also ordered some shrimp Spring rolls, which came served on a plate with two kinds of dipping sauce; a sweet-and-sour sauce, and a peanut sauce. I found that the peanut sauce was rather thin for my likings, although I may be used to the peanut sauce served in Thai restaurants, which is darker and with a much more pronounced flavor. (Perhaps that is Thai only, though, so I'll reserve judgment.) Regardless, this peanut sauce wasn't bad, and it did have a nice spicy bite that I enjoyed. Besides that, the Spring rolls were also tasty, but not really unusual or unique. But I did enjoy them.

The Pho was exactly what I expected; noodles in broth with the extra shrimp added. An extra tray (photo included) contained cilantro, green onion, bean sprouts, and lemon, which you could add to taste. Another tray held salt, pepper, and dried toasted onion, which I used to enhance the flavor. It was pretty good, but being honest, I could have made the same thing myself without much thought.

The beverages were also self-serve, from a machine against the back wall of the restaurant.

As far as atmosphere, the Soup Spoon is an aesthetically pleasing room inside a small indoor mall in the middle of town. There are only seven tables in this place; four elevated "bar stool" types, and three actual sit-down tables with real chairs. Because of this, this restaurant must fill up quickly at meal time, and getting a seat for a handicapped person must be challenging.

In summary, I did enjoy my lunch here, and there certainly is nothing wrong with this restaurant (unless you insist on a full-service meal). I just wasn't as "wow"d as many of the other diners.

• Visited November 2013