“Great Entertainment couple with Great Food”

Umi Japanese Steakhouse Sushi & Bar
Ranked #51 of 89 Restaurants in Victor
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Rochester, New York
“Great Entertainment couple with Great Food”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This place is awesome! The hibachi entertainment is top notch. I went here for my best friend’s 21st birthday and we had so much fun! There was never a dull moment. The food was also amazing. The filet minion hibachi was probably one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. At first, I was skeptical about eating sushi, but the sushi here is so delicious, and now every time I’m craving sushi, UMI is my first choice! The Spicy Tuna rolls are out of this world. The chefs at UMI are very well trained in the culinary arts of hibachi as well as entertainment. If you want amazing food with a great, entertaining show, I strongly suggest UMI Steakhouse.

• Visited July 2013

Rochester, New York
“Nice to find a non-chain restaurant by the mall”
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Visited Umi on a Saturday for a post-mall drink. There is a nice selection of speciality drinks and martinis and I quite enjoyed the Cucumber martini. The fried rice didn't have a ton of flavor but the sushi tasted pretty nice. The salmon tartar was also a nice treat

Rochester, New York
“Overpriced and poor service”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I read some of the other reviews. My guess is that those who rated this restaurant "very good" or "excellent" have little experience with Japanese restaurants.

For one, Umi is overpriced, especially considering the quantity of food. If you want to feel satisfied, you must also have an appetizer. Secondly, the food is average at best. I saw another review that said you could get sushi from BJ's (Wholesale Club) that tasted better. I agree.

Lastly, the service was poor. We were seated and sat for 15 minutes before anyone came to our table, and then only took a drink order. The dinner order came 15 minutes later.

All things considered, I will never go back to Umi.

“Delicious lunch destination”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

A friend and I had lunch at Umi and were pleasantly surprised with the decor, quality of service, and the excellent food.

Umi is located in a not very attractive shopping center high on a hill across the road from Eastview Mall. Inside, Umi's decor is extravagantly modern and exciting. The one drawback is that television monitors are located around the restaurant in locations where it is nearly impossible to ignore them. I try to mention this in reviews because it makes for a poor dating experience and not the place where you would want to take a spouse for a romantic meal. Television programming is designed to attract the attention of viewers, especially sports and commercials. Nothing could be worse than sitting across from a date who is constantly and involuntarily looking past you at a television. No wife that I know wants to go out for dinner at a restaurant where their husbands can ignore them and watch sporting events. Restaurants would do away with television monitors completely. In the case of an oriental restaurant, it might be nice to have video tours of oriental gardens being displayed instead of sports. Umi would have gotten a five start rating if it were not for the televisions intruding on my lunch.

The lunch menu at Umi has more items than many Japanese restaurants and the prices are quite reasonable. My lunch partner selected the lunch roll special with three rolls for $10.95 was impressed with the portion size and the quality of the rolls. My lunch consisted of the assorted tempura bento box which was excellent in every way. Next time, I will order the shrimp tempura, if it is offered. Lunch Box Items Include Miso Soup, White Rice, Salad, Shumai & 4 pieces of California Roll. The Miso soup was good, but was mostly broth. The rice was exceptionally good and it was served hot. My lunch partner especially enjoyed the salad and said that the dressing was unusually good.

Our server did not know the difference between a white tuna roll and a tuna roll, which was surprising. Other than that issue, the service was excellent.

My lunch partner and I recommend Umi and will return. Next time, I will request to be seated where no one at the table can see a television.

Umi is vastly superior to any of the restaurants in our attached to Eastview Mall.

Pittsburgh
“Great Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

We visited Umi with a party of 9 to celebrate a birthday. Had to wait a few minutes past the reservation time but the staff were very nice. The food was good, service was good, the show was good and the birthday girl enjoyed the staff singing to her. It was a bit cheaper than similar places I've been to.