“I don't get it. Overpriced and underwhelmed.”

Umi Japanese Steakhouse Sushi & Bar
Ranked #70 of 94 Restaurants in Victor
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Paying $25 for sub-par steak, chicken, rice and vegetables is not a good value. I agree that it can be entertaining to watch some guy bang utensils around and squirt sake at your face, but that is hardly a good reason for a return trip. Drinks were never refilled, wait staff disappeared and the place was overcrowded (why?); we left feeling like we paid too much for mediocre entertainment for the kids.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

Went to Umi's for my daughters birthday. Our chef, Rex, was so awesome; he made it so much fun for all of us with his tricks and treats :) The food was great too. My only complaint if I had one is that the portions were a little bit smaller than I've experienced at other Japanese hibachi restaurants. Definitely do plan to go back!

1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Umi is by far my favorite restaurant! I used to dislike Sushi until I tried it here! the Hibachi chefs are very funny and entertaining, always make me laugh and the food they cook is incredible. Not to mention at the end the fried ice cream for dessert. I would strongly recommend Umi Japanese Steakhouse to anyone looking for a great night with friends and family, or even co-workers.

1  Thank Erin J
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We just went here for the 1st time and we really enjoyed it. It was my husband and I and our 2 children ages 7 and 8. The atmosphere of the restaurant felt clean and nice, I liked the decor, it was modern and fun. You walk over a small wooden bridge to get to your table if you are having hibachi, which we did. The chef, Jason, was great, the food was delicious. We had 2 containers of left overs when we left! My kids liked the chicken and rice and they are picky eaters so it was good that they enjoyed it. We are looking forward to going back. FYI- I got the combo chicken and steak becasue I thought it would be half portions of each, my husband ordered chicken only. My meal was almost 2 full meals! Also, you get 2 pieces of shrimp with your meal as well as vegetables soup and salad. Free Refills on soda too!

1  Thank Hotelsnob1997
Reviewed January 20, 2012

It is very cold in there until your cook comes out and turns on the griddle. The food is very good, and if you don't want saki or water or food sprayed on you, just ask and they won't. Fried rice is the best.