“Best of Binghamton”

Residence Inn Binghamton
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Vestal
Reviewed May 18, 2010

This is the place to stay when in Binghamton. The location is close to the Downtown Area, Binghamton University and Vestal shopping. Request a Courtyard facing room for quiet and a pretty setting. The suites are complete with work area, kitchenette, bath and comfortable bed. The staff are very friendly and will do their best to accommodate you. The included breakfast is very good and coffee is always available. Weekday evenings include theme based free food nibbles which are fun. We have stayed at many of the Binghamton area Hotels/Motels over the years and most are pretty low end. The Marriott Residence Inn is one of the few exceptions.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 22, 2009

Definitely not worth the extra $$$$.

cons:breakfast ran out of many items (ie. milk, pancakes, etc., hot tub has not been working properly for more than 2 years. It "has heat but no circulation". We stayed here in the past when it was "broken completely". If you need to extend your stay due to a change in plans, they will try to jack up the rates for it. Management is useless and poorly skilled at resolving complaints.

Save your money and book cheaper accomodations this way you won't be disappointed when you get one star results.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank djb6969
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a week in July, 2009 while on a business trip. It started out pleasant enough - even tho there were a few minor problems in the beginning. For instance, I had to ask the housekeeping dept to change the shower liner. When I took a shower and closed the curtain, I found that the entire inner liner (facing the inside of the tub) was contaminated with raised "blobs" of mold . While it made for a very quick & careful shower on the first day, the problem was quickly and cheerfully remedied. Other minor concerns were a few dead bugs & quite a few spider webs found in the corners of the room (particularly inside the entrance door & in corners where there wasn't wall to wall carpeting). Vacuuming was sparse to non-existant in the corners of the carpeting judging by the dust layer on top of the dark carpeting. I didn't even bother commenting on these "problems" at the time, because I felt the room was generally clean otherwise. I did notice however, that the furnishings had seen better days. The bed skirt had a 6 inch tear in it, the sofa was tired & worn, the (polyester) cotton napkins has seen much better days, and the drapes were wrinkled and uneven & difficult to open & close. Again - these were inconsequential findings.
The real problem came to my attention on the next to last day of my stay. I returned from work early, only to find the door to my room wide open with a housekeeping cart several doors away. Thinking that the staff was cleaning the room, I left for 20 minutes - assuming that would be plenty of time to tidy the room since I make my own bed, do my own dishes, etc. The only thing necessary for the housekeeping staff to do was to empty the trash & replace the towels.
Upon my return 20 minutes later (yes, I timed it to give them plenty of time without disturbing them) the door was still WIDE OPEN. This time I went in and called out that I was there so as not to startle anyone. Guess what? There was NO ONE in the room. I did observe at least 5 housekeeping/maintainence staff over 50 yards away sitting at a picnic table - smoking, etc - apparently on a break. NO ONE approached me when I entered or exited the room. They had no idea whether I was the registered occupant or not. Now I would like to go on record as saying that there was a great deal of valuable equipment in that room - including my laptop, clothing, personal effects, etc that one uses on a business trip of a week's length.
I went directly to the front desk and politely explained the situation. Their "Chief Engineer" was sent to my room to check the keyless entry for anyone who had access. (He was one of the staff I noticed sitting at the picnic table earlier.) He had to come back three times in order to download the information. (I think this was a tactic on his part to prevent a collegue from getting "in trouble", but I have no proof of this.) I repeatedly explained that I was not out to get anyone disciplined, but that their security/housekeeping policies needed to be re-evaluated. I never heard back from the front desk or anyone else that night. I must add tho, that the "Chief Engineer" (who was probably all of 20 years old or so) did check my room for "strangers" as I am a single woman travelling alone. Guess it didn't matter that I had now been back in the room for quite some time.
I again went to the desk first thing the next morning and lo & behold the person who was in charge knew NOTHING of my complaint! It was never passed along verbally or logged in their communication book. At this point I asked to speak to the manager and was told I'd have to come back later. I came back during a break in my work day and was told by the manager that they would "replace my door moldings & lock" upon my check-out because something was probably wrong with them. This is when I realized that I was simply being given the run around. I reiterated to the manager that we both knew the room was left open by the housekeeping staff and that I was not interested in disciplinary action, but rather improved safety measures. Not to mention the cost of air conditioning a room is left wide open in the summer heat for an extended amount of time - AND free access for unwanted intruders of the human as well as animal & insect kind! She assured me someone would be "written up" - again not my intention - but it did confirm to me that she was well aware of the problem.
I waited for a week after checking out to see if I would be contacted by the hotel and I was not. A few days later I rec'd a form email letter from Residence Inn asking aout my stay - the usual "we value your patronage" communication asking for feedback. I explained the entire situation and my dis-satisfaction with the response to my problem. I never heard back from them. I'm sure that if I would have, and they assured me that this would be addressed, I never would have written this review. As it stands now, I will never stay at a Residence Inn again, and I will discourage anyone else from doing so either.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
9  Thank gretchenLockport_Ny
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I stayed in this hotel with 4 teenagers while one of them (my son, 18) was touring BU prior to making his college decision (he decided to go to the school). While the staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way to be helpful, there were fresh cookies on check-in, and the lobby area was pleasant, there were too many problems with the stay to ignore.

The room was too cold downstairs, but too hot upstairs. The rooms were definitely not as clean and well-cared-for as I am used to with the Marriott brand generally. One of the bathrooms was downright dirty. The breakfast, while more than adequate, ended at 8:30 am...probably fine for business travelers, but try getting 4 teenagers out of bed that early when they don't have to get up!

I can't say I'd never stay here again or that I wouldn't recommend this hotel to a friend, but this won't be my first choice for future trips to the area.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank traveladdict98
Reviewed December 29, 2008

I am a fan of Residence Inn in general because I prefer to stay in hotels that have kitchenettes to use. Not all that much for the stove/oven, which is there is you need it, but to heat up quick frozen meals rather than eat out every meal. As always, I am happy to say this hotel was a great place to stay. It was clean, the staff was very nice, and I was happy to see a real working fireplace in my room which I took advantage of!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank bx2boca
Reviewed November 10, 2008

We spent one night in this hotel on the way to visit a college an hour from the hotel. After a long drive to get there, we were greeted by an incredibly friendly person at reception who really lightened the mood after a 3 hour long drive in the dark. he also acknowledged that we wanted no feather pillows in our room and told us to call right away if we found any (we did, and replacements were brought to the room immediately and cheerfully).

We chose this hotel because it is a Marriott and they are a smoke free properly. We also have enjoyed staying in suite style hotels because it allows our family more elbow room.

The room was a 2 bedroom loft suite. The kids loved the upper loft,but it was a little too open to the lower level for my taste. Our kids are teens, so I only got an eye roll when I told them to be careful not to monkey around and fall one story. I would not recommend this room arrangement for families with young kids.

The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom and kitchen were clean and well stocked. The main living area was a little tired looking but the beds and linens were newer and up to date.

The breakfast buffet in the morning was the usual Residence Inn fare-not a bad thing. You know the selection and it was fresh and well stocked. The dining staff and hotel manager both asked guests how their stay was, if the breakfast was OK, and if there was anything else we needed.

My teens both commented on how friendly and accomodating the hotel staff was. We stayed at another Residence Inn in Ca. this summer and the staff there was just as helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Traveln_Momma
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We stayed here when dropping our son off to begin classes at Binghamton University. They have an evening reception with different food each night. The breakfast had eggs. potatoes, sausage, cereal, fruit,yogut, make your own waffels, juice and coffee. The room was a nice size but if you looked it was dirty. The baseboards were all of dust and dirt. The doors were filthy. The shower needed some grouting care. There was a sewage smell out side at night, you could not smell it in the room and the odor was gone by the morning. It is hard to find, you cannot see it from the main road. I would not spend a week here but I would stay again for one night.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Krelly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vestal
Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal
Hampton Inn & Suites Binghamton / Vestal
Courtyard by Marriott Binghamton
Quality Inn & Suites at Binghamton University
DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Binghamton

Been to Residence Inn Binghamton? Share your experiences!