“Great room, but wouldn't stay there again”

Residence Inn Binghamton
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Vestal
boston, ma
“Great room, but wouldn't stay there again”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I had never stayed at a Residence Inn before, but I was able to stay on points and the big room was an appealing option.

First the good:
Great location! There's tons of stores and restaurants right close by. There's even a Starbucks (with a drive-thru!) in the parking lot next door. It's easy to park right outside your room. I always love that.

The room was huge and immaculate! I was thinking that if I was a single girl I could have happily lived there! There was a very clean full kitchen, a sitting area, a bedroom and a big bathroom. There was even a dishwasher with all the dishes, pots, pans, etc. that you would need.

The free breakfast was DELICIOUS! One of the better free hotel breakfasts that I have been to. Both mornings my husband and I really enjoyed it.

Now the bad:
The bed. Oh the bed. It was one of the worst hotel beds ever. I did not sleep either night. It was an old spring mattress that had a massive divot in the middle. It was like a grizzly bear had hibernated in the bed and left a hole. My husband and I had to sleep on the extreme ends of the bed and steady ourselves so we wouldn't fall into the crevice! I'm making light of it now, but it was just awful.

I know that a lot of people use this sort of hotel for longer term stays, but the public areas felt like we were staying in public housing. Several families treated the property like their own playground. Both days the kids were running all over the property until late at night. They left the property outside their door a MESS. Toys, bikes, sneakers, strollers everywhere. We were constantly climbing over things. One night we came back to the room to a loud party (and I mean a LOUD LOUD party) blaring music and cooking out on a Weber outside their room. The management should have some sort of rules about the common areas. Both nights the people (with children I assume) were loud and running around keeping us up even further. There is zero sound proofing from room to room.

Really it felt like we were staying in a low-income dorm. If the room itself wasn't so nice we would have looked for somewhere else to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maebyfunke
BinghamtonRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Binghamton, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you so much for letting us know how your stay was! We appreciate the feedback as it helps us grow as a company.

I did have Maintenance check the mattress after you left and it will be taken care of appropriately. I wish you had stayed a few more nights so we could have gotten you into a more comfortable fit to your liking.

I know you did mention the toys and noise due to some of our guests. Sometimes, we do too good of a job at making people feel right at home! We did address the issue the following day and feel that everyone can feel at ease while staying here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Boston
Reviewed July 13, 2012

First time staying a residence inn overall a good experience. Only draw back was room was not cleaned while we out for 8 hours as promised.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Severn, Maryland
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My wife, five month old son, and two italian greyhounds stayed at the Residence Inn Marriot in Vestal, N.Y. from 7/2 to 7/4 2012 for my mother funeral. We also had 5 other families come into town for the services, which also stayed at the Residence Inn. Bottom Line Upfront (BLUF): All who stayed said, the stay was "Excellent" and "First Class". My wife and I had a two bedroom sutie that was perfect for our family. There was enough room to spreadout and be comfortable. The staff even had a PACK&PLAY for us to use. We had some much stuff in our car we couldn't bring ours from home. (THANK GOD for the hotels PACK &PLAY). The room was immaculate: Marble counter tops, two queen size beds, and a pull out couch. The internet was wireless and fast, the cable was great...several HBO's and sports channels. The hotel even had great dog run right across the parking lot from our room. The staff was awesome, (Tracy-Front Office Manager, Roselinda-Housekeeping, and Tracy-GM) were all kind,considerate, and gracious during our stay. This was definately like a home away from home. My wife and couldn't not be happier with the staff and amenities. We highly recommend Resdience Inn Vestal/Binghamton. We will stay here every time we go Upstate. Marcus P.

Room Tip: Two Bedrom Suite is like home away from home. Granite counter top, two queen beds, pull out couch, a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Residence Inn Binghamton, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
We are so sorry for your loss. I'm glad we could help make this tough time a little easier for you. It was great meeting you and your family. We look forward to seeing you again under better circumstances! Thanks so much for the review.
Allentown, PA
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Stayed six nights with my dog Porter. Ground floor room with unbelievable closet space. Room spotless upon check-in. Rosa was my housekeeper and while she is the best I saw that all the housekeepers take pride in their work and always have a smile.

Walked Porter every morning 2-4 miles on the Binghamton University Campus--they don't seem to mind and there is a nature preserve there if you make it far enough. Area restaurants are excellent, the zoo was fun, took in a ball game--just a lot you can do.

They send you an email a day before with directions which if you don't have you WILL miss the turn into the complex. While we always stay at RI's this was our first time at what they call Generation 1 which is the separate buildings. It was actually pretty cool and I never heard anyone above or next door. I think the rooms were recently renovated and mine looked brand new.

I didn't use it but the pool is nice and they have a monster gas grill which you can use. Everyone was friendly with smiles. You can walk to three restaurants in the plaza next door including Tullys which absolutely does have the best chicken fingers in the world--just like they advertise. The Indian restaurant and the Med Grill are also excellent.

We're going back in August; I liked it so much and my dog seemed to like it also. There were two glitches which keep me from a five star rating but trust me, they won't happen to you.

Room Tip: Facing Binghamton University seems quiet though I noticed all the parking spots were filled in the m...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Residence Inn Binghamton, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your review! We loved having you and Porter! We can't wait to have you back with us! So glad you enjoyed your stay.
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel in the bi-level loft room. The loft room was perfect for my trip. It has two queen size beds, a pull out coach, kitchen and living area. It had 2 full bathrooms and 3 tvs. It was perfect because the two sleeping areas are very private. They are perfect especially if someone has insomnia, which one in my party has. This way the person with insomnia is not going to keep others awake. The hotel had a nice breakfast in the morning, free usa today newspaper during weekdays, outdoor pool and indoor exercise area. Our room did have stairs, so if you are handicapped that could be a problem. Also there is no hot tub outside anymore. My only complaint is that the hotel is easy to miss when you are trying to find it. There is a very small sign on the road to the hotel.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the bi-level loft room when staying with several people and you want plenty of room...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Residence Inn Binghamton, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Thank you so much for the review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. We are really bummed about the Spa as well. The ADA passed some new laws this year which made our spa non-compliant and it had to be abandoned. It did give us more deck room for chairs and tables though! Thanks again!
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We had stayed at many Residence Inn's before and this one seemed to fit the type. All in all very good. A few minor maintence issues (burnt out light bulbs) that we did not expect. Location was okay, within walking distance of several resturants.

Friendly and courtesy staff! They even sent us an email providing direction on how to get to there parking lot as it is a bit confusing for the GPS.

Verdict: if u are in the area, this is definatley one to look for!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
BinghamtonRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Binghamton, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you so much for the review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you again if you are ever in the are!
Jenks, Oklahoma
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I arrived at the hotel on a business trip with blue "blanket fuzz" from my airplane blanket on my tan pants and had to head to a business meeting. I asked the front desk for some tape, and one of the girls (who I later found out was the manager) offered me her personal lint roller! I came back in later and the girl at the front desk remembered my name and room number. These might seem like little things, but it is the little things, to me, that set hotels apart (and trust me...at the time the blanket fuzz was not a little thing!). These girls didn't care if I was elite or not (which I am)....they treat everyone like they are elite!

As others have said, the hotel is the four plex separate buildings style (which I enjoy). The rooms are spacious, clean, modern. Bed is more than comfortable (my flight out was cancelled and the airline put me up at another hotel chain in Binghamton .... one of the "upper end" of the chain....but this Residence Inn bed was more comfortable and the bathroom was nicer). The included breakfast is the usual Marriott chain breakfast....I love the waffles, so can't speak to the eggs, etc.

Only "issue" I had was I couldn't find a blanket....and I was too tired to call the front desk for one (I would have had to get dressed :). I am sure had I called, they would have happily brought one.

It is difficult to find (my GPS got me close). The emailed directions were extremely helpful...not sure I would have gotten there without them!

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't like carrying luggage upstairs, ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tulsacubfan
BinghamtonRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Binghamton, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
It was so nice meeting you and having you stay with us (even only for the night). We hope to see you again if you are ever in Binghamton! And PS. the closet next to the front door should have extra sheets and a blanket in it! But we surely would have brought you one!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vestal
Quality Inn & Suites at Binghamton University
Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal
Courtyard by Marriott Binghamton
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Binghamton
DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton
Hampton Inn & Suites Binghamton / Vestal

Been to Residence Inn Binghamton? Share your experiences!