“Hit or Miss”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Ate here 5 years ago and it was the most delicious and juicy meal, then again 1 year ago and it was mediocre at best, dry steak, boring vegetables and a dull potato. I miss that first meal! Maybe I'll go back in 4 more years and it will be good again. The place is usually busy so my guess is it's probably good most of the time.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

They don’t take reservations but they have a Call Ahead program. I didn’t use it. I figured it was early on a Friday night so who would be going to dinner. Wrong thought. When I arrived the restaurant was packed and there were at least 30 to 40 people waiting. I put in my name, was told that it would take about 35 minutes. I took my buzzer thing and headed immediately to the bar.

When you walk past the waitress station there is a meat display case like you would see at the butchers. It is filled with thick cuts of all kinds of steaks: porterhouse, T-bone, Filet, rib eye etc. They cut their own beef at the restaurant. The bar was full. I was lucky and found a couple of guys who were nearing the end of their stay, just finishing their beers. I ordered two drinks and they left within 5 minutes and gave us their seats. The well wine was delicious and cool. It probably tasted a little better than its vintage because I really needed a drink but isn’t that what taste is all about. My wife had a Cosmo which she knocked back immediately. The first food we ordered were deep fried pickle chips with three dipping sauces. Cutting the pickle into chips for frying works better than cutting wedges or frying the whole pickle, unless you really know what you are doing. There were ranch, horseradish and like a Russian dressing sauce that came with the pickles.

They make a big deal out of their steak. I did not try it but people all around us were ordering all kinds of different cuts and eating them like it was the first steak they ever had. We each ordered a meat fall off the bone BBQ ribs, half a slab. The half is served with two sides and is more than anyone can eat if you eat the sides as well. The pork ribs were thick, moist and the meat truly fell off the bones.

The service was good and the food came out quickly. There were families, dating couples, small and large birthday parties. There was a gang of wait staff roving from table to table singing some sort of Booh-Yaah song to any group that was celebrating anything. This is not a restaurant for an intimate dining experience but I would definitely bring a date. It was loud and fun.

1  Thank mcahill6912
Reviewed January 8, 2013

You can't beat the dinners at Texas........well its as close as we get to Texas. Great steak dinners.

1  Thank Ann B
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Texas Roadhouse in Vestal NY is located on the west side of busy Vestal Pkwy East and just a short distance from Binghamton University. We selected this restaurant at the last minute based on positive reviews on TA. There is a call ahead number (607-729-8200) if you plan ahead. We entered the busy restaurant around 5PM on a Saturday night and were quoted a 15-20min. wait for a party of three by a cheerful reception staff. The waiting area was crowded and when we left the restaurant after dinner, people were waiting outside as well. We were seated promptly in 15 minutes. This is first and foremost a steak house as evidenced by the selection of New York Strip, Porterhouse and Sirloin steaks displayed in a meat cooler by the reception stand. You can select your specific steak from this case or take pot luck when ordering. The Texas Roadhouse's menu is on-line but the steaks range from 6 oz. Sirloin at $9.99 to a 23 oz. Porterhouse for $23.99 with chicken entrees $9.99 to $10.99 and seafood dishes from $9.99 to $14.49. Our waiter, Andy, explained how the Texas Roadhouse works and suggested a few items from the menu. Each entrée is served with your choice of two side dishes such as a salad or vegetable. Drinks were served quickly followed by the salads. Salads were very fresh and the dressings were great. Two of us ordered New York Strip steaks and the other a grilled BBQ chicken. Steaks were perfectly cooked to order and my wife said the chicken was very moist and not overly drenched in BBQ sauce. The green beans that accompanied the steaks were most likely from a can but were served with small pieces of bacon and onions for added flavor. There is able wait staff to handle all the customers in this busy restaurant as we were served by no less than 3 people during our stay. Our waiter checked back with us at least three times to insure that everything was to our liking. If you are looking for a romantic dinner, this is probably not your place as the restaurant is very busy and the noise level is moderate. However, if you are in Vestal NY and in the mood for steak, chicken or fish, I highly recommend you check out the Texas Roadhouse.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went there for the first time ever, and we loved it. The steak melted in our mouths, and everyone was very friendly. We loved the fact that we were given some munchies before our steak dinners arrived. The biscuits with the cinnamon butter alone is good reason to go back as they were delicious. It was cozy and intimate in the restaurant, and the manager came to see how we enjoyed our dinners. We are so anxious to go back there again that we might make it a weekly event.

1  Thank Karen C