“Happy with new management”

Moghul Fine Indian Cuisine
Ranked #13 of 98 Restaurants in Vestal
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Plaza Drive
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Contrary to what a previous reviewer wrote, the entrees are cheaper now that Moghul has a new menu and new management. The shrimp entrees are pricey, but everything else has dropped by $3 or so/ plate. We've always liked the food here, but the service used to be terribly slow. Our server was wonderful and our food was served much faster than in the old days. I personally wouldn't trust the review of someone who complains endlessly over a FREE dessert! In short, if you liked the old Moghul but thought their prices too steep and their waitstaff too slow, the changes are all for the better.

1  Thank LBRod
There are newer reviews for Moghul Fine Indian Cuisine

Reviewed July 15, 2012

When we walked in a few days ago to celebrate my husband's birthday, we were pleasantly surprised at the improved decor and the genial young man who excitedly told us about the new management, new chef, new menus with lower prices, etc. And indeed there are a few intriguing new dishes on the menu, but they were NOT cheaper. I got the shrimp kamoor, whole shrimp (tail shells still on) in a creamy sauce made with pureed walnuts and almonds, for $21.95. Appetizer prices were the same as before. My husband ordered tandoori shrimp, a favorite dish we've both enjoyed many times at this restaurant. Everything was actually fine until our waiter asked us if we wanted our food extra spicy. When I didn't reply, he gave me a funny look and asked again. I said, does the creamy nut sauce come extra spicy? He didn't seem to know what I meant, and when I shrugged and said ok sure, extra spicy, he sneered and walked away. I had spilled one of the appetizer sauces on the white paper covering the white tablecloths, and it sat there for 10 minutes through repeated visits by various staff asking if we needed anything, until we finally asked for a napkin to clean it off. So none of this is a big deal, but when we got our food we were disappointed, big time. The tandoori shrimp was very small, badly overcooked, and the sauce smelled and tasted like vinegar. The shrimp kamoor sauce was delicious but again, the shrimp themselves were small and dry and overcooked. Both portions were much smaller than we used to get (enough to bring home one full meal between us). The rice was nicely spiced but a bit dry. After the meal (and no complaints about anything from us, so nobody thinks it was an attempt to make us happier), a server brought us a complimentary mango ice cream dessert topped with whipped cream. The cream was great, but the ice cream was so rock hard we needed a knife to cut it, except we didn't have one. We took turns slowly sawing off pieces with the exact same motions one cuts through wood with a handsaw. One person held the ice cream steady while the other one sawed, so it pieces wouldn't rocket off the plate and go airborne. I liked the taste, as if it were made with real mango, but my husband thought it was strange and stale. Normally he loves mango. Maybe his tongue was a bit pickled from the vinegar.

2  Thank Carpathia
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We travel quite a bit and try to seek out Indian fare wherever we go. Moghul right here in our hometown is STILL the best Indian food we've had anywhere! The buffet is well worth the price, not only do they have 7 or 8 dishes on the buffet, they also bring you tandoori chicken and endless naan. Excellent restaurant.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

They delivered to me at the Residence Inn. The delivery person was very polite and nicely dressed. There was so much food I couldn't eat it all. I did go inside to check it out before hand. This is a beautiful restaurant with a gorgeous bar area. I recommend it.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Horrible buffet. The items are not enough. Only two chicken items, chicken tikka and tandoori chicken and they serve tandoori chicken only once(just two pieces). The vegetables are horrible. The chickens are not fresh at all and hard to chew. The rice was very dry. They charge $11 for buffet and coupons are excluded (coupons did not mention that buffet excluded). Try to avoid this restaurant and go for a nice american cuisine. I wish there would be an option for a negative rating and I wouldn't hesitate to give it -5 or -10 overall rating. I would not go again and advice my friends not to go there.

4  Thank mike z