“Good value, solid location, comfortable stay.”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Vestal
Brooklyn, New York
“Good value, solid location, comfortable stay.”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

This was a nice place to stay overnight. The price was fair and the rooms were comfortable. Unfortunately there was no jacuzzi and the pool is not heated so I had to mark them down, just a bit. The loctio. Was close to Binghamton which was ideal!

• Stayed September 2013
HomewoodBGMVEl, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Homewood Suites by Hilton. The new laws regarding jacuzzis and hot tubs make it nearly impossible for a new hotel to have them and many older hotels are filling in the existing ones.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed here with my family earlier this year. Our first impression was good, but things went downhill pretty fast. When we got to the room we turned on the heat and discovered a weird quirk in the system -- the air stream from the heater somehow connected with the blades of the ceiling fan, making it turn all night long. It didn't go fast (it wasn't actually on, after all), but just enough to be annoying. When I asked about it, a staff member told me, "Yeah, they do that. We don't know why." So, obviously this was not just our room. But that was not the worst thing that happened. My daughter came down with a bad cold that night, and we thought it made sense to ask for a cot for her so she would not have to share the bed (and her cold germs) with her sister. The cot arrived with sheets, but no blanket. I called downstairs and was told by the clerk to come downstairs and she would give me a blanket, since she was all alone at the desk. That was fine, but when my husband got there, it was a different story. She said that it was "not the hotel's policy to give out blankets with the cots." She did, however, offer an additional sheet. Are they kidding? No blanket for a sick kid in the middle of winter? And in a room with a ceiling fan that turns constantly whenever the heat is on? I marched down there, an irate mother ready to do battle, and together with my husband we told her that this was completely unacceptable and insisted that she do something -- call her boss, find a blanket from an empty room -- something. When she saw that we were not going away (don't tangle with a mama bear protecting her cub!) she finally went and found a blanket somewhere. The next morning, as I was checking out, I made a point of telling the manager at the desk about all the aggravation we had had the night before. He told me that all rooms are supposed to have extra bedding in the closet (ours didn't) and that the night clerk should have known that. Where in the world would she get the idea that the hotel didn't provide blankets? I thought he might have offered something like a discount or even a refund for our trouble, but he didn't and I didn't bother asking -- just resolved never to go back there again. Ironically, as I picked up some of the management business cards that were available at the desk for a possible letter of complaint to corporate, I noticed another card on display that read, "additional blankets available upon request!" (But only if you insist, apparently.)
The only reason I am now writing this now, so many months later, is that I see that this hotel is ranked ahead of the Holiday Inn right across the way, and I can't for the life of me imagine why. I have stayed at that Holiday Inn numerous times, and they are just wonderful. Laurie, Andy, Mark, and others have been SO nice and incredibly helpful -- going way beyond to accommodate special needs and requests. The hotel is every bit as nice and comfortable as Homewood, the breakfast is comparable, and the price is similar (I think HI is slightly less but not much). But the caring and professionalism of the staff, which makes all the difference, is in a class by itself. But whether you choose to stay there or at any of the other hotels in Vestal, do yourself a favor and avoid Homewood Suites!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HomewoodBGMVEl, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
After hearing about your dealings with the front desk agent so many months ago, that agent was dismissed immediately after your stay at the hotel. The lack of professionalism and the unacceptable customer service by that person it not the norm at Homewood Suites by Hilton. Our staff here takes pride in our hotel and the exceptional guest service that is provided here. Please know that if you choose to stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton again that you will be provided with the best service in the area.
Smithtown, NY, United States
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I thought the bed was the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in. The room was attractive and I felt it was a step above the average hotel room. They truly had a "hot" breakfast and the staff was very friendly. This is a nice, clean hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

HomewoodBGMVEl, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Homewood Suites by Hilton. Please come back soon.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

When I got to the Homewood Suites I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel clerk at the front desk remembered my name from my stay last month. From there the morning went downhill. The clerk proceeded to tell me that my room was available but they did not yet make it feather free (I have allergies). She told me that I should go and enjoy a cup of coffee while I waited for my room to be ready. As I walked over to the coffee a few seconds later, she comes running after me to tell me that her manager told her to tell me you can only have coffee but no breakfast - this was done in front of a room of people. I told her I hadn’t intended to have any breakfast -- just the coffee. Quite honestly I was mortified to have been treated like this in front of everyone. What gave her manager the impression I was going for anything more than the coffee is beyond me. How utterly classless.

So I took my coffee and sat and waited for 15 minutes or so. Then I went up to the hotel clerk to see about my room. She said that I wasn't allowed to check in unless I paid a fee for early check in as her manager said that is the Policy. It would have been nice to have been told this from the beginning. I questioned why this was the case when the room was ready and she steadfastly told me that unless I wanted to pay a fee I couldn't get into the room until 12:00 noon (even though the room was ready).

As I was in a discussion with front clerk, the manager came up front and proceeded to display no professionalism in mannerism, tone, or attire (hoody, baggy pants, and untucked shirt). He had his hands in his pockets and kept saying this is our Policy when i questioned why I could not get into a room that was ready. This Homewood does not represent the professional Homewood staff that I am used to dealing with. The Homewood manager did not speak to me with any respect which was surprising given that he was representing the Hilton brand. I told the manager that I was placing a compliant with Corporate (I have since called and left a message). I have stayed at Hilton hotels all over the US for business and pleasure travel and I can tell you the level of professionalism displayed at this hotel and the way I was treated, they have lost one customer. After the discussion with the manager, I was so disgusted with the Homewood I told the hotel clerk to cancel my reservation for the day that I was walking across the parking lot to a competitor hotel (Holiday Inn Express Binghamton) where I got a room cheaper and they were allowing their customers into the room. I also cancelled my future December reservations at the Homewood. Who wants to stay at a hotel when they are not treated properly.

The icing on the cake was when I went to the competitor hotel across the parking lot (Holiday Inn Express Binghamton) and checked in - the hotel clerk was so kind. Not knowing my story she told me to make myself comfortable and help myself to the complementary breakfast. Holiday Inn Express Binghamton - you are my hotel of choice from now on.

Room Tip: Don't check in early unless you want to pay extra money even if you room is available.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gmkd
We are so sorry that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserved upon attempting to check in with us. Please know that this is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. However, please be aware that a hotel room is rented for the night and checkout time at our location is noon. Arriving at 8 am and expecting to be allowed to be checked into a room that is still occupied by the previous night's guests is not something that can be accommodated.
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband and daughter and visited the campus. Upon arrival, my bill was 200.00 more than what I had been quoted originally. When I questioned why, I was informed that it was because of "incidental expenses should I do damage to the room." I was refunded the money after I stayed and left. I contacted the manager and was given an apology but be warned that if your planning on staying here for less than 5 days, the only best way to book is through a reputable website. The hotel doesn't seek business for those staying less time. They do not feel that marketing to anyone who wants a room for one or two nights is fair to those staying longer. Room was great, service was very good but probably won't stay there again unless I need to.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your nice comments about the hotel and the service that you received while at the Homewood Suites. Please be aware that if you are using a debit or credit card, a hold will be placed on funds for your stay. Each bank has different policies upon the hold time for those funds. It is best to use a credit card instead of a debit card in most cases. If you pay cash at the end of your stay, the hold of funds will not immediately be available to you; depending on your bank it may be 72-96 hours for the release.
toronto
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was traveling from Toronto to New Jersey. I usually stay at Hampton Inns along the way--either in Cortland or Scranton (both properties of which I have reviewed). I was past Cortland when I checked with Scranton and discovered they had no availability for the night, so I called Hilton reservations and they found me a room at the Homewood in Vestal.
Vestal involved about twenty minutes of a detour--off the I81, onto the 17 West and then, there was a bit of a drive to the hotel. Construction along the route lengthened the drive a bit.
But, when I got to the Homewood Suites, I was very pleased to be there and plan on adding this motel to my itinerary in the future, despite the extra miles.
There is a buffet dinner offered for free Mondays to Thursdays, 24 hour coffee and tea and a lovely free breakfast (though I truly much prefer the Hampton Inn breakfast, with less prepared food and more options--pastries and muffins, fresh cut fruit, many more cereal choices, and more wholesome uncolored make your own waffles).
The room I got was the typical for a Homewood Suites--I have been to several. I have provided pictures.
The bed--a comfortable and clean oasis adorned with the gold standard Hilton bedding package
The kitchen--with a full sized fridge and freezer, a boon to me, for I travel with several coolers and lots of blue ice and there was room to store everything overnight
There was a seating area, a dining area, a desk where I set up my computer, a vanity outside the bathroom...
All in all, a comfy home away from home along the route.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ShifraToronto
HomewoodBGMVEl, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you again for staying with us at the Homewood Suites by Hilton. We endeavor to provide the exceptional service and quality that you would expect in a large market hotel right here in Vestal, NY.
NJ, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Well worth the $113 a night I spent which included free breakfast. They also have free dinner which I missed because it is only Mon-Thurs. Great location on Vestal Parkway with lots of stores and restaurants. Wish I could have used the gym and outdoor basketball court but my back was acting up. They also have a nice little indoor swimming pool with handicap access. I stayed at every hotel in Vestal and this was the best mostly beacuse to the spacious suit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

2 Thank Anthony B
HomewoodBGMVEl, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our hotel. Please come back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vestal
Hampton Inn & Suites Binghamton / Vestal
DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Binghamton University-Vestal
Quality Inn & Suites at Binghamton University
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Binghamton
Courtyard by Marriott Binghamton

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal? Share your experiences!