“A little out of the way but worth the detour”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Vestal
toronto
“A little out of the way but worth the detour”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was traveling from Toronto to New Jersey. I usually stay at Hampton Inns along the way--either in Cortland or Scranton (both properties of which I have reviewed). I was past Cortland when I checked with Scranton and discovered they had no availability for the night, so I called Hilton reservations and they found me a room at the Homewood in Vestal.
Vestal involved about twenty minutes of a detour--off the I81, onto the 17 West and then, there was a bit of a drive to the hotel. Construction along the route lengthened the drive a bit.
But, when I got to the Homewood Suites, I was very pleased to be there and plan on adding this motel to my itinerary in the future, despite the extra miles.
There is a buffet dinner offered for free Mondays to Thursdays, 24 hour coffee and tea and a lovely free breakfast (though I truly much prefer the Hampton Inn breakfast, with less prepared food and more options--pastries and muffins, fresh cut fruit, many more cereal choices, and more wholesome uncolored make your own waffles).
The room I got was the typical for a Homewood Suites--I have been to several. I have provided pictures.
The bed--a comfortable and clean oasis adorned with the gold standard Hilton bedding package
The kitchen--with a full sized fridge and freezer, a boon to me, for I travel with several coolers and lots of blue ice and there was room to store everything overnight
There was a seating area, a dining area, a desk where I set up my computer, a vanity outside the bathroom...
All in all, a comfy home away from home along the route.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ShifraToronto
HomewoodBGMVEl, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you again for staying with us at the Homewood Suites by Hilton. We endeavor to provide the exceptional service and quality that you would expect in a large market hotel right here in Vestal, NY.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
NJ, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Well worth the $113 a night I spent which included free breakfast. They also have free dinner which I missed because it is only Mon-Thurs. Great location on Vestal Parkway with lots of stores and restaurants. Wish I could have used the gym and outdoor basketball court but my back was acting up. They also have a nice little indoor swimming pool with handicap access. I stayed at every hotel in Vestal and this was the best mostly beacuse to the spacious suit.

2 Thank Anthony B
HomewoodBGMVEl, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our hotel. Please come back soon.
Milford, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Homewood Suites by Hilton is a very nice hotel for the price. It has everything you need for a short or long stay. The staff was very polite and courteous. I had booked the room on short notice, not knowing what was available because of a family emergency. Very happy with our stay and the quality offered. Will stay again as this was the first of probably many more given the circumstances requiring us to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

2 Thank Connie W
Thank you for staying with us at the Homewood Suites by Hilton. For our guests that stay with us on a consistant basis, we try to assign you to the same room number each time in order to give you the feeling of a home away from home with the familiar surroundings each stay.
Avon, Ohio
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed here with my wife during a recent trip to the Binghamton area. While the title, "Best in Binghamton" may not sound like a heck of an accolade (I wouldn't say the competition is nearly as fierce as most other cities/towns), the Homewood Suites lives up to the standards they've set in other hotels of the same name. That's a great thing, because Homewood Suites overall is a very good chain extension to stay at; the primary drawback is usually pricing, so if you can find a way to make it work, it's an easy choice no matter where you go.

My experience in this particular hotel was great, from the room and hotel facilities to the service. Here's a quick list of pros and cons:

Pros
- Brand new, clean, modern room.
- Huge room, with kitchenette, large bathroom, living room with couch, and more.
- Nice gym/workout room - Precor club-level machines
- Good size flat screen and free wifi (these ought to be standard across the board, but aren't and so I want to recognize it!)
- Kitchen includes dishwasher - a nice touch for lengthier stays or actual (!) entertaining in-suite.
- When there was a problem with the ceiling fan (nice touch by itself), a technician came right up to fix it promptly. Great service!
- Great location, right across the street from Binghamton University, and nearby anything you'd want.
- Nice indoor pool - not huge, but high quality.

Cons
- More than once, the hot water ran out - that's not acceptable, and perhaps was just a temporary problem.
- Linens smelled a bit musty; not sure why that would be the case unless the room hadn't been used in the past couple weeks.
- Breakfast wasn't great - there was hot food, cereals, fruits, coffee, and everything, but most was pretty flavorless and bland. Could use some work there. Powdered eggs really have no place on a menu for humans.

Overall, it was a great stay, and should I need to come back to Binghamton, I'll definitely book a room here. Good work, there are a few things that could be improved and thankfully should be feasible.

Thanks for reading this review, if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to reach out!

Jon

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank JB24003
Thank you again for staying at the Homewood Suites by Hilton. We are proud to be the #1 rated hotel in our area. Even though we are a new hotel we already have plans to improve our property based on comments that our guests provide. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed in the suite with a family of 5. It was very roomy. It had 2 queen size beds and a separate living area with a fold out couch and TV. A small breakfast area with a refrigerator, microwave and stove. It was a great experience, The beds and pillows were soft and comfortable. The rooms and hotel lobby was clean and nicely decorated. It had a small indoor pool , fitness center and even an outdoor basketball court. These too were very clean and well maintained. The free breakfast was good, although I always wish for healthier choices and the managers reception with free beer, wine and a light dinner was nice although some light snacks would have been good for the kids. Overall this was a great hotel. I would definitely stay here again and HIGHLY recommend it if your traveling with children.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

2 Thank lorens18
Thank you for the nice review. Although we are primarily a business hotel, we have just a few of the large family rooms like the one you and your family occupied. Come back soon.
Bucks County, PA
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night last week on business. We were able to get an early check-in and Tiffany was a real pro. She remembered my request for a quiet location and that is just what we received. We had booked a suite with a separate bedroom and enjoyed the space and the full kitchen. The décor and furnishings were like new and the bed quite comfortable. The lobby area is very attractive and there are comfortable chairs available if one wanted to spend some time there rather than in the room. There are also outdoor tables and chairs outside the breakfast area.
For my purposes, I preferred the spacious and modern feel of this hotel to a previous stay at Traditions at the Glen.

Room Tip: 4th floor, away from elevator
1 Thank east12
HomewoodBGMVEl, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you for stating that we are the best in the area. The Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal endeavors to provide exceptional customer service just like you would expect in a larger hotel in a metropolitan city.
Utica, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This hotel was for a business stay over. The fitness center and morning breakfast were exactly what I needed to get started. The suite and business center fulfilled all my needs. All the staff were pleasant and completely professional. Most reviews focus on the highs and lows. There was nothing to complain about. When I have stayed at other Hilton properties, I have experience equal value. But at this higher level facility, you get much more for your money. Evening reception, plus dinner? Who does that? For a state government rate? This is a real diamond in the rough, in Vestal. The real benefit of any hotel stay comes when a traveler experiences some type of unexpected complication. Lost or forgotten overnight items are usually something that a hotel staff are prepared for. But in my case, this time my rental car crapped out. Talk about "Murphy's Law". This hotel properly manager was all too familiar with that truism. As an Irishman, Mr Duffy the hotel manager made an excellent stay even better when my rental car died in the parking lot. He got me on my way by personally taking me to the rental car company. This was above and beyond the call of duty. He made certain that the rental company had a vehicle ready for me, rather than to wait for one to be brought in for over an hour away. Three cheers for Mr. Duffy and his wonderful hotel staff and facility. I can't recommend this more highly. Next trip, will be at the Homewood Suites in Vestal.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

HomewoodBGMVEl, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and also for singling out our manager. He already was recognized by the Hilton team earlier this year with the Homewood Spirit Award. The team here at the hotel was handpicked by Mr. Duffy and the number one quality that he sought out is the ability to deliver exceptional customer service. Please come back and see us again and thank you for staying with us at the Binghamton/Vestal Homewood Suites by Hilton.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vestal
Hampton Inn & Suites Binghamton / Vestal
DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Binghamton University-Vestal
Quality Inn & Suites at Binghamton University
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Binghamton
Courtyard by Marriott Binghamton

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal? Share your experiences!