“Not one of my favorites”

Dwarf Line Motel & Cottages
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Verona Beach
Dwarf Line Motel & Cottages
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Verona Beach
Reviewed August 21, 2009

First let me say the owner was very pleasant. Access to the beach was across the street and behind thier house was nice. The rooms were a different story. Very old uncomfortable mattress, 2 1/2' x 5' SMALL bathroom, no phone or clock radio, dirty and run down.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kmartcowboy

Reviewed August 17, 2009

I don't think Merele likes families with children who are looking to have a good time? She was purely evil during our visit we would never go back and never recommend!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Enzo S
Reviewed June 18, 2009

My friend and I stayed for a long girls weekend and had a great time. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. Merle and John are very friendly people and helpful. I left my phone charger behind and she called me right away. Since we were only 5 minutes away, we were able to turn right around and get it.
It was a great experience and we will definitely book again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Landybreigh
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We just got back from a "girls weekend away" and I just had to write in my review.... First I have to say that Merle is AWESOME... we truly felt as if she were a new family member and we look very forward to going back next year!!! She is awesome, we got a little lost on the thru way and called her several times and she got us to Dwarfline safe and sound.

The cottage was adorable, Yes it was built in the 50's and that definitely gave it character.. the beds were comfortable.. the futon in the living room was extremely comfortable and the knottypine is so comforting... There is beach access right across the street going through MERLES yard.

The area is beautiful and quiet...

Mr VanBuren is such a character himself... he is Merles dog, If you like dogs, you will LOVE this one..

As I have said, we can not wait to go back next year.....

Thanks again Merle for all the wonderful conversations and help that you gave us...
See you next year!!!!!!!!!!

Heather

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank girlsweekend2009
Reviewed May 21, 2009

No this isn't Plaza if that is what you are looking for. But it has by far the most wonderful, sweet, hospitable couple that on July 6th, 2007 my husband I and went to for our Wedding Night to stay at one of their cottages. It had such a peaceful neighborhood, a porch to go out and sit and visit on, you could use the beach access across the street if you wanted while you were there. The beds are very clean and comfortable, as EVERYTHING in the cottage was. They made sure that everything about this trip was so enjoyable for us to even bringing us a bottle of champagne, and having it chilling it the refrigerator by the time we had come back from getting some take-out dinner. How thoughtful was that??!!! We now have come back for our anniversary and for a couple other times such as birthdays for ourselves as it just feels so special to us. We are actually going again today (May 21, 2009)!! They treat us more as friends/family. I am disabled, and it is easier accessed for myself with only two small steps up into the cabin. They walk you right to the cabin and still show us in, even after all the times we have been there!! Door service so-to-speak!! You just don't find that anymore!! We (my husband and I) truely love this place, and are definately on a tight budget, but do not find that this place is any more than any other place around to have the wonderful people, access to Oneida Lake, and all its activities of Sylvan Beach and Verona Beach. Dwarfline, You are in our hearts forever!! Keep up the great work!!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MandiTigerlily70
Reviewed July 14, 2008

My husband and I were able to name 3 positive things about this motel. It was clean, with new bedding. It was quiet, since it was in a residential neighborhood. And it lowered our expectations so much, we loved every other room we had..

We thought the name was a little odd - but it defines it well. Only dwarves could adequately use it. The bathroom was literally thirty inches wide by seven feet long. It had a toilet at one end, a tiny shower on the other and a twelve inch by eight inch sink in the center. Difficult to use any of them - impossible to shower and dry off.

The room was tiny, it smelled, and the mattress had to have been the original one from when the place was built in perhaps the 1950's. The carpeting was old and worn, the walls were dark old wood paneling, and the "water access" - well, we never did find it. Apparently there's some path going in through someone's yard that technically people could have used, but we certainly wouldn't have.

Had we paid $49, we could have accepted the hideousness okay. But, this was the most expensive room we had during our trip - $116 a night - and by far the worst. Once we saw it, we'd have moved on to something else - except that when we reserved it nearly two months in advance, we were obligated to pay immediately and it was absolutely nonrefundable. Now we realize why. Never again will we get caught by that one.

The owner was very friendly, but we got the definite feeling it was a super friendliness to prevent people from writing the truth about the place.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank gustynpip
Reviewed August 5, 2007

The Dwarfline Motel and Cottages is run by a fabulous and friendly woman named Merle who will show you to your room (How often does that happen anymore?) and knows lots about the history of the area. Her motel is on a lovely tree-lined street in a quiet residential neighborhood with beach access on the eastern shore of Lake Oneida. Good food at several restaurants nearby, not to mention the retro beach community and amusement park next door in Sylvan Beach, this is a wonderful option to staying in just another chain motel on the thruway. About 10 miles north of the NY Thruway, exit 34 (Canastota), clean enough, beds were comfortable, small rooms, but the neighborhood is a real plus. And, you get to hear the story of why it was named the "Dwarfline"......very relaxing...so glad we stumbled across this choice while searching on the web for accomodations close to Syracuse.

1  Thank skyranch
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
Cinderella's Suites
Cinderella's Suites
#1 of 2 in Sylvan Beach

Been to Dwarf Line Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!