“Friendly and affordable”

Dwarf Line Motel & Cottages
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Verona Beach
Dwarf Line Motel & Cottages
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Verona Beach
Rochester, NY
“Friendly and affordable”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My experience with Dwarf Line began with an inquiring phone call. Of all four places I called to check availability, Dwarf Line was the only one that I did not have to leave a message as I did others. I actually got to speak with a real person right from the start. After reviewing the other places, I decided I got the best vibe from Dwarf Line. I vaguely remember staying there as a teen with my parents and other family members have stayed there as well throughout the years (my family has been coming to Sylvan Beach for 35 years now) with no complaints. The appeal for me is it's off the main drag but just close enough to drive to (about two minutes to the amusement park). There are no loud cars racing along the road blasting music, no people strolling past your bedroom late at night creating raucous, no sounds of parties and music from the bars along the main drag to deal with. This is a family-oriented establishment that has been around awhile and knows how to treat guests. Yes, it's rustic, 50's style but if you view the website you will know that already - hence no surprises.Yes there is dark paneled walls but if you knowledge yourself with photos from the website, it's not that big of a deal. Actually who uses a hotel room in a resort town like that for nothing much but to sleep anyways? If you enjoy Sylvan Beach (which is a true blast from the past) the Dwarf Line fits right in. I actually enjoyed the simplicity of it and friendliness of the caretakers - you don't get that in some corporate hotel establishment. The rooms were very clean and orderly. I like that every room has a coffee maker and a fridge - a must for us. There is a firepit, swingset, grill and a screened gazebo to enjoy a bit of the outside on a hot summer night. Yes, there are mosquitoes, as there would be in any type of beach town, so arm yourself with repellent and don't worry about it. Our family did not get bitten once while there and mosquitoes just love my daughter. We had no bugs in our room. The towels and sheets were clean and fresh. I could not hear a peep from the other guests in adjoining rooms - one thing's for certain, this 50's style hotel had better walls then brand new ones of today! My only complaint was the small sink. It was difficult to really wash up without making a mess and filling the coffee pot with water was a bit tricky. However, there would not be much room for a bigger sink anyway so we just roll with it - such an insignificant inconvenience but thought I'd mention it anyway. If you truly desire pure luxury and to wallow away in some huge fancy hotel room, then this is not the place for you. I, for one, do not intend to waste my time in the hotel but rather getting out and enjoying all that the town has to offer. We go to Sylvan Beach every year and usually rent a large cottage with our extended family. However, if the occasion arises again that I just need one room or small cottage, Dwarf Line will be my first pick!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank GinaGeeGee

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I had to respond when by chance I saw the last review. I stay with family each summer at Oneida lake and have stayed with the Dwarfline a number of times. While the nature of the lake and the state park is extremely beautiful it can also at times be quite damp due to storms and humidity and we just have to realize that we should get along with it.

It is true there are few places left like the Dwatfline, and it's too bad. They must operate on a very short season and can't afford to implement all the luxuries that these unhappy posters seem to expect (believe me, I know what being in business is like).

But if top end luxury is what one wants, they need to go to a top end resort. The Dwarfline (and the other charming places in that area) are not perfect but they provide much more. I haven't found another motel/cottage place where I can sit out by the fire at night with other friendly guests and owners, at the edge of the state forest after watching a brilliant sunset; and swim out front on a sandy beach under sunny sky.

No the rooms aren't perfect but they are clean and neat (never have I experienced must).The cottages are unique as are the grounds.The owners Merle and John treat you well and we will be back!

Room Tip: We liked it back by the woods
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jim A
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stayed here August 2011 and was shocked to find such a place in the great USA. I live in Ireland and was visiting a friend in NY state, we were invited to a wedding and were advised to pre book this place which we did.We were the last of our party to arrive and I think we must have got the worst room in the place. My friend payed the deposit by credit card and the money was taken out of her account 2-3 weeks before we arrived. On arrival we were taken to the office and the balance was taken before we were shown the room. On entering the room there was a bad offensive smell and it lasted for our 2 night stay, anyone who came to our room commented on it and asked how we could put up with it. There was family involved in the arranging of this whole affair and so we didnt want to cause any bad feeling.
I am very prone to insect bites and was badly bitten by ??? insects after sleeping in this room and one corner smelt strongly of urine. The first impressions when walking into the room was it was very dark due to the dark panelling and dark decore, that I could have lived with if the place had been clean and fresh. You might wonder why I have taken so long to write this review but even after all these months I still cant believe there are such places, do these premises ever get inspected.If it had been a budget dirt cheap place it might have explained it but it was`nt. As I say never again and would advise everyone to stay clear.

Room Tip: dont go there
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank janebell19

Travelers are raving about these Verona Beach hotels

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Was passing through and found this place.

The service was very good. Excellent location - it's across the street from the Lake. It backs onto a forest which was nice too.

The room was quite musty and for that reason it would have been difficult to stay another night. Washroom was very small.

The town of Verona is nearby - it was pretty popular and even had a small fair with rides.

Hard for me to comment about the price since the town is popular while the availability of places to stay is low.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Denis_The_Thief
Herkimer, New York
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I found the Dwarf Line Motel and Cottages on a whim about 10 years ago on a whim and stayed there overnight found it to be a good nights stay. Based on that stay, I booked Memorial weekend this year. We stayed in a house keeping cottage. John and his wife Merle went out of their way to make our stay worth wile. It is comfortable, clean and affordable there. The folks are friendly and accommodating. John and his wife are always on hand for any of your needs and even have time for friendly conversation and to share some stories and antidotes. We love it so much there I have booked 2 more weekends there. I strongly recommend the Dwarf Line to anyone who asks me...

Room Tip: all ooms there are great but the cottages are the best buy there if you plan to stay for more than 2...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank soulinjected
Reviewed July 1, 2011

This was a nice place to stay considering that the service what great, we were close to the state park the owners were vary nice. Me and my buddy went fishing on the weekend out on the lake then down the canal. And also me and my girlfriend walked the beach as the sun set which was great. We would stay here again and also recommend it.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank mustang97c
Albany, New York
Reviewed June 29, 2011

My friend and I happened by on our way to Niagra Falls for overnight. We saw the sign and followed the road through the park land and stayed the night in room 6 near the woods. Though the Motel is older, it is really cute and was very clean. I decided to make an entry here on this site and was quite suprised by the negative responses I saw! So I saw it a must that I post here.

We certainly saw no evidence of anything unclean and no insect problems. We got to look at one of the cottages and are planning to return for a longer stay. Oh, and the sunset across the street over the lake was spectacular. It's also nice to be hosted by the owners instead of staff who sometimes seem indiffernt in other businesses.

Room Tip: Room by the woods was cozy, cottages look great
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Cinderella's Suites
Cinderella's Suites
#1 of 2 in Sylvan Beach
Days Inn Canastota/syracuse

Been to Dwarf Line Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!