“Most beautiful and relaxing retreat-skip the casino.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Verona
The Lodge at Turning Stone
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Verona
New Jersey
“Most beautiful and relaxing retreat-skip the casino.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

Have stayed at the Lodge 4 times or so and cannot wait to go back (about a 3 hour drive from north Jersey). We have stayed in at least 3 different rooms types (various price ranges-hot tub, fireplace, etc.) and all were spotless and full of pampering ameneties. During our first stay after returning from dinner, we found the bed turned down with chocolates on the pillows, slippers and robes waiting, fireplace lit, and relaxing jazz playing on the Bose sound system. My husband and I were hooked. The service is consistently superb. We are not big into gambling so the quiet, serene atmosphere of the Lodge is a wonderful getaway to have some alone time (we have a 3 year old son)! Yes, the casino does not compare to most in Atlantic City but again we go to relax at the Lodge-not gamble. The Skana Spa is a must-absolutely beautiful and their restaurant, Wildflowers, is exquisite with a loovely Sunday breakfast buffet held in the beautiful lounge just outside. The Lodge is not to be judged based on the rest of the Turning Stone resort & Casino-it is a gem unto itself!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank njjponz1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2009

We stayed at the lodge on a weeknight in mid-December. Occupancy was very low, and as a result we had the facilities almost to ourselves. That probably influenced why I liked the lodge so much. The public areas and rooms are tasteful, spacious, clean and luxurious. The heat in our room wouldn't turn on when we arrived, and we got immediate service. But again, I felt like we were about the only ones there so there would be no reason to be slow. There were a million towels in the room and fun little L'Occitaine bath goodies. Some rooms have jacuzzis on the balcony which must be very romantic, but these are quite a lot more expensive and because we have one at home this wasn't a priority for us. Our room overlooked the golf course, which we couldn't see at all because it is pitch dark by 5PM and nothing is lit on that side.
We primarily wanted a romantic getaway and got exactly that. Everything was elegantly decorated for Christmas. They had a fire pit outside where you could toast marshmallows and have cocoa. There is a massive fireplace in the lobby, but it was never on at any point, which was disappointing. It was certainly cold enough, bitterly cold in fact.
The fitness facility and swimming pool area are just beautiful, and we spent lots of our time there. These facilities are only for lodge guests, the main building has its own pool. The room was hot--exactly perfect for swimming. Lots of fun swimming around and looking out the massive windows at the snowy scene outside. Mercifully the pool wasn't loaded with screaming running children--just us. Perfect. The treadmills, steppers, etc look brand new and are top of the line.
We probably weren't the typical Turningstone visitors in that we didn't gamble. It can be fun spending some time playing slots (and we like Vegas) but this casino is SO-OOOOO smokey I didn't even want to go in there. We did walk through the casino to go to dinner (rodizio-style restaurant) but that's about it. (There is an enclosed, hard-to-find walkway between the two buildings.)
The restaurant I would say was okay, certainly lots of meat which made my husband a happy guy. They DO have a wine list, by glass or bottle. We thought it was reasonably priced. We did not eat at the Wildflowers restaurant in the lodge--it seemed to be trying too hard. Apparently you can't eat at any restaurant at the resort without having one of their "diamond cards." I'm not sure but the lodge receptionist implied that they normally charge for these (why?) but as lodge guests it was included.
We got a terrific rate on the hotel's own website. For that price I would definitely go back because we had such fun there. I don't normally describe hotels as fun, but this one was. Maybe next time we'll see one of their shows.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Long Island NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2009

If you like second hand cigarette smoke, and seeing hordes of seniors spend their Social Security checks on nickel and penny slot machines, you will love this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank MitchfromLI
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2009

Our second visit to the Lodge at Turning Stone proved to be just as lovely as our first visit.
Prompt courteous service, a beautiful spotlessly clean room with all the extra touches, and a fantastic spa, all add up to a wonderful retreat.
Even though the hotel had many visitors on our weekend, it never seemed to be noisy or crowded. Everything was always in order, staff worked hard to keep the great room lounge tidy and inviting. We enjoyed a beautiful view of the fall colors on the manicured grounds from our chaises as we relaxed and read the paper.
On my last visit to the Skana Spa I had the best facial I ever remember having. I was looking forward to the experience, and once again, it was bliss! The spa has every amenity available for their guests, and it is a clean, calm environment.
I love the amenities provided in our room........lots of towels, a continuous supply of soaps and creams for your use, welcoming turndown service with delicious treats, and such comfy cozy beds.
All the staff at the Lodge make you feel very welcome, all queries are answered quickly and respectfully. One morning the coffee urn was being refilled as I arrived for my morning cup. One staff member ran to the kitchen to get me a cup, and another showed up while she was gone to ask if she might get me one to avoid a wait. Wonderful service!
My only wish is for the adjacent casino to go smoke free. We do like to visit the slots while we are there, but the smoke is so disgusting, we limit our playing time.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chels503
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

Had to write about my recent trip to Turning Stone. The staff was extremely helpful (expecially concierge) -- the room was immaculately cleaned -- restaurants were lovely -- nothing negative to say.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank mrsdg007
Buffalo, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

Hotel and restaurants were great. The casino was terrible, and I even won a little, so that should tell you how bad it was. Dealers did not smile, did not say hi, did not even talk to you. They were generally rude, rolled their eyes at a couple that was playing craps and made a comment to them about not knowing what they were doing. I observed this from the BJ table nearby. Very bad customer service on their part considering they make a lot of money on tips! Also, they have a very strange policy for their slot machines. You can't just walk up to one and put in money to play. First you have to get a card, then you have to go and put money on that card, then you take the card and put that in the slot machine as credit to play. Once your card is empty you have to get up and find a window or cashier to refill it. Very odd, never experienced that from Atlantic City to Vegas! If you go here, enjoy the restaurants and hotel, but stay away from the casino.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank stguesser
Turning S, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Turning Stone, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for sharing this. We've made some big changes since your last visit. Our slots now accept cash (no Player's Card required), and we've added our Exit33 Entertainment expansion. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you visit us again.
Wilton, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

We stayed here for a night on our way back from a long trip to Canada. This resort is huge, especially since it seems to be in the middle of no where, located in Verona, New York. There are three main buildings, The Lodge, The Tower, and The Hotel. We decided to stay in the Lodge. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the valet and other staff who offered to help us with our luggage. Even though we were quite early for the 3:00 check in (we arrived at about 1 or so), our rooms were immediately ready which was greatly appreciated.

This hotel is very modern. The sink, shower heads, and furniture all reflected that. It was different, but not bothersome in that sense. Our suite consisted of a decent size living room, a nice bathroom, and a decent size bathroom. The TV's volume would only go up to a very low height, and that was a bit annoying.

We were very shocked to find out that our hotel did not serve alcohol of any kind, for they were unable to obtain a permit. However, you can bring your own alcohol in, so you always have that option. We ate at a very tasty restaurant for lunch in the hotel. Service wasn't extremely fast but the food was great.

Dinner, we went out to Joel's Frontyard Steakhouse, which I highly recommend for a pub type setting.

When we came back, there were three staff members who held the four doors open for us, which we found very hospitable. We were walking back to our rooms, when a staff member heard us talking about the presidential suite near us, which we were quite curious about. No one was staying there at the time, and he actually showed it to us, which we were very grateful for.

The Casino is extremely large, and shopping is good, inside the resort that is. I personally did not go, but some of the group that I was with did, and they enjoyed it very much.

The indoor pool is one of the nicest indoor pools I have ever seen. There is a nice hot tub, and it wasn't crowded at all. It's very spacious, and there's room for plenty. The spa I did not really see, but it seems to be very nice, and there is a good golf scene out there, from what I saw while I was there.

There is a nightclub there called Lava, and while we did not go in, I thought that should be noted.

Overall, this is a great resort, with a few minor setbacks you should be able to overlook.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank alikhxoxo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Verona
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona
Wingate by Wyndham Rome
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford

Been to The Lodge at Turning Stone? Share your experiences!