“Nothing to get excited over!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort

The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Verona
Ottawa, Canada
“Nothing to get excited over!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

I do agree the property is quite nice and as impressive as any casino is. It definitely does look like a vegas hotel inside. There are quite a few slot machines. It is smoky but there is a non-smoking area to play the slots. I wouldn't say their slots pay well but that could be put to a matter of chance, who knows. The have really cut down the places that you can smoke in, so I think that is an improvement from how it was before. I didn't find my room smelled of smoke either.

What I really had a difficult time with was the price of a room. The room in the hotel is $250.00 a night. I couldn't really see anything in that room worth that kind of money. I once stayed at the hilton at the Lac Leamy casino in Hull Quebec and had a superior room with concierge service for less than 250 a night. It was a standard room in a sense..no robes, no fridge, no extra's what so ever. I just can't justify that price to stay there. The bed was quite comfortable, so no problems there. You might expect that a free breakfast or something would be included.

I was there on a weekend and they definitely do not have a problem getting people to gamble, it was packed and almost hard to find a machine to play on.

I didn't eat at all the restaurants, just the Emerald and it was ok , fairly priced and large servings.

I found it a real pain having to load a card to play. I would much rather just put my money in a machine. Almost everybody complains about this.

I booked my trip through a visa card which just so happens to use a branch of expedia. So I asked for a smoking room. They didn't have one, even though I was given a place to ask for that when I booked. The clerk' s response to me was that they do not accomodate people who have booked through expedia. That upset me. I explained to her how it was that I ended up going through expedia. The best she could do was change my room the next day. At least she tried...

One thing I was impressed with was the band that was playing. I thought they were very entertaining and spent both nights in that bar listening to them for some time.

All in all it is ok..I just think given the fact that most are spending money gambling there, their rooms should be a lot cheaper or include a meal or something. Just a really expensive weekend. I think the lodge is a better room but it was 450 a night so not affordable. One thing though, there are quite a few hotels just off the property and they are a bit cheaper.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Although AAA gave this Hotel a nice rating - we thought it was rather ordinary. We're not gamblers - so maybe that's why we were simply judging the accommodations experience.

Check-in listed as 4pm. We waited in the lobby until 5. (Here too - maybe players don't care about that).

Room Service was kind of inept.

Room was clean and large and gave us a good base for our visit to the NY State Fair.

Probably the best hotel in the area - and maybe we will try the Tower Rooms next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
endicott, new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Loved the tower room, huge windows with a great view of the great outdoors. Wish it was on the ocean but oh, well. I liked the very private feeling of the Tower and the exclusive area for the elevator. Room was clean, bathroom was clean. What I especially love about staying at TS? The beds are incredibly comfortable!! I don't know what kind they are but I want one for my home.
Nice crisp, white sheets that don't feel cheap. Always sleep like a baby there.
As for the casino, you can't win there and yes, I was given $100 free play and was expected to give back the first $100. Never heard of anything so incredibly cheap in my life. I've stayed at TS twice, lost a lot of money. Loved the accommodations, hated the casino.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Utica, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed in a Jacuzzi suite for one night to relax in the tub....Jacuzzi Suite tub condition was unacceptable. Maintenance is sub-par---especially at $200 to $320 a night. Tub inner surface and jets were discolored with brownish residue and crud. Filled tub with hot water to clean it though & ran the jets, as well. The jets spewed out a gross blackish gunk----dead skin, perhaps?
Management failed to respond to my concerns.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
TS_Management, Manager at The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
We are so sorry to learn about your experience with the Jacuzzi room. We did receive your feedback, in addition to this review, and we have attempted to contact you directly to discuss the matter further. Unfortunately we haven't been able to reach you directly. We take this issue seriously and hope you will take a moment to call and speak to our Housekeeping Management at 800-771-7711.
Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Rooms are very modern, nicely furnished, and very clean. Excellent maid service. Lobby areas and meeting rooms are also very modern and clean. Emerald Restaurant has very good food with nice menu selections.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sumrbabe21
Rockland, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed at The Villages Turning Stone RV Park for 4 days at the end of July 2012. We were in the 300 section, right next to the small fishing pond. Kids would come fishing every day. Very nice location – we also had daily visits of a family of ducks and geese. All camping lots are big, clean, and have a nice fire pit with a ring and all have garbage can with lid that is emptied every day. We did not use the public shower and washroom, but we walked in them to see and were spotless. I would recommend this campground to anyone as it is very well priced, very clean, and staff is pleasant and eager to help when needed. There is a shuttle bus that picks you up at your camping site to bring you to the casino or many of the restaurants on The Turning Stone Complexe. This campground is a five star. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: In my opinion, best camping sections would be section 300 or 400
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank malyhupe
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Had a fabulous time at Turningstone Resort. We stayed in the Hotel which is more affordable than some of the other options but rooms were more than adequate. Clean, spacious, updated. Air conditioning struggled to keep up with the stifling hot days. I have heard the Lodge is amazing!
Had a great round of golf at Shenandoah course. It was in fantastic shape considering the lengthy heat wave/lack of rain. Very picturesque. Course personnel were exceptional upon arrival and departure. Very welcoming,helpful, and friendly. Pro shop a little pretentious.
Casino is large but was extremely busy. Had a lot of fun and the group was lucky! Loading your money onto a card to paly wasn't as bad as we first thought. Giving us a $10 card to play lost its zeal when they told you it had to be paid back if you win! How to waste a good idea...Diamond Rewards proved to be valuable - USE YOUR CARD EVERYWHERE!
Casino was warm and a bit too smoky. Room for improvement on their air handling equipment.
Food was quite good with numerous options.
It is a great place to get away for the weekend!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Verona
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona
Vernon Downs Hotel
Vernon Downs Hotel
#2 of 2 in Vernon
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
Wingate by Wyndham Rome

Been to The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort? Share your experiences!