“Cheap - that is, compared to Turning Stone.”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Verona
New York City, New York
“Cheap - that is, compared to Turning Stone.”
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I stayed here Saturday night of Labor Day weekend only because Turning Stone's room rates were in the area of $400. I was surprised to find a hotel right near the Turning Stone casino and learned that this Microtel only opened 3 months earlier.

The property looks clean and nice - but it is brand new construction so one should expect nothing less. I was able to book a room for approx $100. This is cheap compared to Turning Stone but if not for its location near this attraction it would not be such a deal.

When I entered my room for the first time I was shocked to see how tiny it was. I guess I should have taken the "Micro" in "Microtel" more seriously. The room really was a closet. Luckily, I was staying alone so it wasn't a problem. However, I couldn't imagine more than 1 person comfortably moving around in this room. I understand this property also has suites - which I didn't see - but I imagine they must be larger.

My biggest complaint is about noise. I was given a room right next to the stairs and the noise from the steps is unusually loud. I walked the steps myself and it sounds as if they are hollow. Every step makes a loud boom and then the noise echoes in the stairwell. This is just unacceptable in a hotel. More care should have been made in the construction of the staircase to reduce the noise.

Overall, the hotel is decent if you don't want to spend the money for a room at Turning Stone. However, if you can get a room at Turning Stone in the $200 range (which I was able to do the folowing night) I was recommend that over $100 room at the Mircrotel.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Trapuh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Orange County, NY
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We were excited to find a newly built and affordable hotel near the Turning Stone casino and the Bouckville Antiques show.

We booked our stay online well in advance and looked forward to three nice nights in a brand new building.

Upon our arrival we were told that no reservation existed in our name. When we produced a confirmation number the girl at the desk gave us a knowing smile and a giggle, then she proceeded to explain that all reservations made more than three months prior did not get entered into their computer system. We did not see what was so funny about that and asked why the people who had reserved rooms were not notified that their reservations were not going to be honored. She was unable to produce a satisfactory answer and as the hotel was full for the evening we were left without a place to stay for the evening.

An offer to bump other guests for two nights starting the next day only angered us more. One could only wonder if those unfortunate guests would have been notified that they lost their rooms.

Overall we were very disappointed with both the management of the property and the substandard accommodations we were forced to utilize as a result of their ineptitude.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank christian9090
Bainbridge NY
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I stayed here with my mom as i could not use my husbands free night stay at the turning stone they would not let me. This place is very clean and the people were great. The price was only 79.00 and you cannot beat that. I would definately stay here again. Everything is brand new here they just opened in May of 08 i think? Not fancy,no pool but clean and rooms are very nice.

• Liked — very nice clean place
  • Disliked — nothing it is excellent!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Pattidh
Orlando, FL
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I preface by saying this is a new hotel, it had been opened 6 weeks when we visited. Beds were comfortable and clean. (Clean is a big thing with me). It's a basic hotel stay, no frills but serves a purpose as a low-rate place. Continental breakfast is again no frills, but a nice supply of cereal, toast, fruit, etc.

Walls were very thin and we heard neighbors banging around all night, both nights of our stay. Rooms are smallish, but not uncomfortable.

Bottom line, I would recommend staying here simply because of the cleanliness. Don't expect posh, though.

• Liked — It was clean
  • Disliked — It was noisy
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1harleytraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Verona
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
Red Roof Inn Utica
Red Roof Inn Utica
#3 of 13 in Utica
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona? Share your experiences!