“Nauseating Decor, Rooms Smelled Horribly, a Dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Vernon Downs Hotel

Vernon Downs Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Vernon
nyc
“Nauseating Decor, Rooms Smelled Horribly, a Dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2008

Came up with my girlfriend and family to visit the little sis at nearby Hamilton College in Clinton. Had stayed at Turning Stone last year, which I love (see my review), but those jerks wanted like $500/night this year which is insane, so had to find other options.

The hotel options in this part of the state are just pathetic. I love visiting my alma-matar in Ithaca, but hate staying at those disgusting 40 year old Ramadas and Clarions. The shame with Vernon Downs is that it appears the hotel was just built recently, but was built so cheaply and filled with such crap furniture and neauseating decor, it has aged horribly and already looks +30 years old. The lobby is dark green and maroon red. The elevator doors inundate you with these huge tacky graphics of dollar bills and slot machines when they close shut.

The guestrooms are a nice size, similar to an AmeriSuites or Hyatt Place, but filled with motel-quality furniture. Bedspread is one of those ugly print things that never gets washed and the bed has one of those fuzzy tan blankets also that are gross.

Despite being a non-smoking hotel, the first room they gave us reeked terribly of stale cigarette smoke, we couldn't take it. The second room was better. The TV was a small old style version and had horrible reception and the remote needed each button pressed about 10 times waving your hand in 10 different places before it worked. Awful.

There was a huge party, super loud, on the floor sometime around 3-4am saturday night/early sunday morning which briefly woke me up. Thank god, I was exhausted and fell back asleep pretty quick.

Sunday brunch at Lucky's was cheap, like $8, but pretty basic, 2 varieties of cereal, even less varieties of milk. Some powdered eggs and french toast.

All in all, a miserable place. Probably will have to stay here again next year, preying Turning Stone is cheaper if not, better get a non-smoking room at the very least.

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank gahlisary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Upstate, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2008

I will not go on and on about this hotel but just know that it was clean, the rooms were spacious, great amenities and the front desk people were courteous and helpful....Oh yeah, it was not expensive either!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

Having read previous reviews of this hotel ahead of time, I was aware that previous guests had complained of the overall cleanliness and the supposed lack of water pressure. I thought our room was very clean, no odors of smokers etc. However, the lack of water pressure was quite evident - be prepared to take a longer than normal shower to make up for it.

The other issue was the free continental breakfast. While it was free and appreciated, it was pretty paltry in comparison to other places like Days Inn, Holiday Inn etc. Very little to choose from, and the staff was not quick to refill items that were gone. Both mornings I ate there, the coffee canister was empty and hadn't been refilled. It's the little things that would go a long way to improve their guest's overall experience.

• Liked — Location and overall value
  • Disliked — Lack of water pressure and a paltry continental breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Cornwall, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2008

Went up to Vernon on a bus trip for an overnight trip to Miracle Isle and Turning Stone. We were a group of about 40 people needing 20 rooms. There were also 2 other groups that were checking in that day.

We arrived about 2 pm and our rooms were not ready, one of the other groups were there for a wedding and many of their rooms were not ready either (4 pm wedding off site). To compensate, they gave us $10 free pay coupon for the casino, in addition to the $10 per day free play for signing up for the players card.

Finally got our room around 4 pm. Some members of our group received their rooms one by one. We were assigned room 603 ( I think or 602) We were at the end of the hall overlooking the race track with some pretty views of the mountains. Room was nice with a few exceptions. Two double beds, table with 2 chairs, sofa bed and coffee table. Refrigerator, Micowave, coffee pot. Bathroom goodies only included shampoo and conditioner.

The picture above the sofa was missing. Screws were still in the wall but no picture. The girls across the hall were missing their sofa bed, and so were some other guests in our party. The legs of the table had a covering of dust on them, guess it was missed during housekeeping. Only given 3 bathtowels for 2 women. When requested more towels, told the towels were in the dryer and would be brought to the room later....never got them. The grout under the tub faucet was full of mold. But that one spot was the only mold in the bathroom. Rest of the bath was clean and a good size.

There was no safe in the room.

Beds were comfortable . A/C worked very well. One other consideration, during the night, I woke up with the itch of a few bites on the back of my legs. Maybe 4-5 on each leg. Could have been a flying insect bite perhaps. I wore slacks all day so I know that I was not bitten during the day.

Many from our group won at the slots at the hotel. We also enjoyed the morning buffet and drinks and listening to the band in the casino. Personally, I had a few hits at the slots and was happly with the results.

One other consideration, their web site shows the rooms as having a whirlpool tub, but only some rooms have it.

Would I stay again--perhaps if I was heading to the Turing Stone. It is a lower price hotel with close proximity to Turing Stone.

• Stayed August 2008
ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

We had been to this hotel last year, for a breakfast or lunch, but never to stay...the ambiance at the time lead us to believe because of the shabby conditions, that the rooms would be the same so we never bothered booking there... we always stayed at Turning Stone...However we received a recent E Mail invitation to stay overnight for a terrific bargain, so we took advantage of it.
Were we surprised....The Lobby and back area appeared to have been refurbished, and the room was really nice, we even had a view of the horses being trained in the AM, a spectatcular sight...We used the pool room, pool & Jacuzzi, which were both very clean and pleasurable...plus they had an exercise room which we did not use ( but probably should have to keep us out of the casino) ...AND IN ADDITION they had a light continential breakfast in the dining room in the back ( pastries, boiled eggs, donuts, juice, coffee) which we did not even know about until that morning...We did have a wonderful time and didn't feel so bad about losing our childrens inheiritance.....All in all you should enjoy it too....!!

• Liked — Swimming pool , Jacuzzi room...view from room
  • Disliked — Disabled parking away from Hotel...too many eggs at continental breakfast should be belgian waffles...My husband has bad gas w/too many eggs...was not pleasant
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WEARYTRAVELER88
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2008

I stayed here for one night while going to a show at the Turning Stone resort. The room was great and the price was even better! The staff were very nice and helpful. It was a short walk to the casino and an assortment of restaurants. I would recommend this to any one looking for a reasonably priced hotel. I have stayed at the Turning Stone many times and it is beautiful and the rooms are beautiful but for the price I would go back to Vernon downs and save my money for entertainment.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank conniehh
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2008

This hotel is by far one of the nicest hotels I have every stayed at. The entire hotel is gorgeous, and it is located conveniently by the race track. The entire place is clean, friendly, and impressive. Stay here if you have the chance.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
Wingate by Wyndham Rome

Been to Vernon Downs Hotel? Share your experiences!