Vernon Downs Casino and Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsrace trackturning stonecoffee potlove seatpillow top mattressrooms overlookingpool roomthe complimentary continental breakfastcasino resortmini fridgeminute drivesitting areabit datedking bedsinktubsupgrades
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night in January 2013. The hotel is located in a nice upstate [NY] area. The room was reasonably quiet, clean, comfortable, and affordable. We ate at Mr. G's restaruant where the food and service were respectable. The casino is clean and smoke-free. The casino has a new virtual roulette game since real roulette is not allowed at a New York State run casino. The following morning we ate at the Breakfast Buffet where the food and service were also respectable. We ate early, before the Casino opened so the fare was more limited, for example made to order omlettes were not yet available. Overall Vernon Downs Hotel is an average hotel. If we traveled there in the summer and wanted to gamble in the casino & harness race track we would stay there again, but only for that reason.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Casino and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback and when visiting during our racing season you are correct there is more activity taking place. I’m pleased that you did enjoy yourself and will be coming back to visit as we are very excited about our start to the racing season next month. Once again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We visited the Vernon Downs hotel and casino in late December 2012 while we trudged to three different XMAS celebrations with my wife's excruciating extended family.

Prior to booking, we had my 70-year-old father-in-law do a drive-by and checkout the rooms, and he said that they looked clean.

Upon our arrival, there were luggage carts for our use and a covered car/luggage unloading area. The lobby of the hotel was promising--a cheery fire burned in the fireplace. Check-in was simple.

The room contained two queen beds, a table, two chairs, a hair dryer, iron, TV, and luggage rack. The cleanliness of the room was initially acceptable, but a closer examination made my wife's noise turn up. Specifically, the tub had a very large anti-slip sandpaper adhesive sticker/torture device that was black on the edges (presumably mold). The tile was buckling under the bathroom counter. Speaking of sandpaper, the hotel likely has a very low theft rate for their toilet paper and towels. And, you can rest easy that you won't be burned by the hot water coming out of the faucets. During periods of high demand, the water became luke-warm at best.

In further regards to the tub, I should mention that I am NOT a large or overweight person, and the water barely covered my torso when I lay in the tub. My legs and arms stuck out so much that I felt like a daddy long leg spider in a thimble. I'm sure that hotels install these ridiculous shallow tubs so they can save money on water. However, it really irks me. I have therefore resolved to waste twice as much water the next time I encounter such a ridiculous cake pan tub. Unfortunately, this feature is not unique to this hotel.

The TV in the room was a 27/32-ish model. The channel supply was fairly limited and the picture quality was not hi-def. No game console.

The beds were comfortable and the sheets were soft. We did have a challenging time getting the temperature right in the room--it often seemed too hot in the room.

This hotel had a different construction material that I had never seen before. Instead of drywall on the ceilings, it had some weird mesh/fiber panels. Regardless, there were water leaks on the ceiling in our room by the window. The ceilings were quite high and I didn't have a sense of claustrophobia that I've experienced walking down some hotel halls.

Don't worry about overeating at the free continental breakfast. I can only describe it as 'meh'. Toast, dryish pastries and mini muffins, hard boiled eggs floating in water(?), yogurt, four cereals, milk, OJ, and coffee. I forget what hotel has the DIY waffle maker, but I really wish we had stayed there instead.

The pool was nice, clean, and the water was relatively warm. The jacuzzi was the high point of the trip and was quite warm. Although the jacuzzi timer didn't appear to work at first, the bubbles did turn on after a minute or so. Again, the same non-luxury towels were present at the pool.

The vending machine prices are in-line with other hotels ($2 for a 16-oz soda). It was nice that there was some actual food in a rotating vending machine (cracker meals, sandwiches, burritoes, etc.) on the first floor. Especially when we found that many local restaurants were closed for the Christmas holidays.

My wife, the exercise freak, enjoyed the fairly well-appointed exercise room.

They had a video game room, but nothing appropriate for a four-year-old. The advertise a children's play area, but it is only active when the racetrack is operating.

The casino buffet was fairly nice, and the food was filling, but nothing that would make me drive out of my way to visit again. The buffet waitstaff was quite helpful and actually got the kitchen to make my daughter a PBJ sandwich when the buffet offerings were not to her satisfaction. I can only describe myself as glad that I only had to pay 1/2 price for my 4-year-old, who scooted in under the full-price 5-year-old age threshold.

We only tried to order room service once for an in-room advertised pizza special. Nobody ever picked up the phone.

I do have to compliment the hotel desk staff as being very helpful. When a terrible snow storm prevented us from checking in the first night, they did not charge us for that night. When my wife complained about the mold in the tub, a housekeeper was sent to scrub it, which made it slightly better. However, she then failed to make up the room later that day. When I asked for restaurant directions at the front desk, they did attempt to help me.

I was irked when I asked for a late checkout past their 11 AM deadline and I was transferred to housekeeping. I asked for a noon checkout and was told that was not possible--1130 was the latest he could do. You should know that the parking lot was fairly empty and you could have fired a cannon down the halls without hitting anyone. Irked by this answer, we didn't checkout until near 1 PM (the wife does not pack light nor get ready quickly), with no incessant door knocks, deactivated keys, or additional charges.

One service that would have been appreciated, and that I've experienced at other hotels, is when the hotel staff goes out and cleans the snow off your car. That didn't happen here.

We are not big gamblers, so I won't review the casino itself other than to say I lost $40 or so on video poker and video roulette. If they had had blackjack, I likely would have gambled more. The racetrack was closed, so I can't comment on that aspect of the property.

With taxes, we paid on average $100 per night. Would I return to the Vernon Downs Hotel and Casino? Probably not when there are other comparable hotels in the area that I would rather try. The only reason we chose this hotel over another hotel in the area was that this hotel had a jacuzzi.

Room Tip: Stay below the seventh floor--fire ladders can't reach any higher.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank toddmanqa
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Casino and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback which I have reviewed with my hotel team. We have continued to improve the hotel which has been something we are extremely proud of over the past year. I understand that other hotels offer different amenities and I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. It is through our guest’s feedback that we continue to improve by working harder at providing outstanding guest service for all that stay with us. I would hope you would visit us during racing season to see and experience the entire property and what we offer. Once again thank you for your feedback and looking forward to you visiting us in the future.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because my wife had a room coupon for one night and the second night was 104.00 much less than the $300 at the Turning Stone. Not as nice as the Turning Stone but a better rate. We stayed the weekend before New Years and had a nice time. The room was spacious and the beds comfortable. The room and bathroom were clean, although not very modern. The bathroom sink was a extremely small, the shower was adequate. There is a nice fire place in the lobby, but it is enclosed by glass and does not give off much heat. It is located near the front door so it can be kind of chilly. The restaurant Mr. G,s is ok, the food is ok, however the room itself reminds me of the back room of a Denny's. The casino is small and only has slots, but it is smoke free! The bar area is nice and they have entertainment on the weekend. The bar food is actually pretty good. Enjoyed our stay and will stay here in the future.

Stayed: December 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit with us. We are very proud of our property and what we offer and I was extremely pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit. I would encourage you to visit us during our racing season to really experience all that we offer. I’m looking forward to your return visit and again thank you for your comments regarding your stay.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel is nothing special. It is a good average hotel at a rate lower than the Turning Stone (some 6 miles away) or the hotels surrounding the Turning Stone. The Vernon Downs racino is connected to this hotel, so for those frequenting the harness track or casino it is very convenient. The rooms are a good size and of average cleanliness and condition. Certainly nothing to write home about, but more than an adequate stay. Mr. G's Food and Spirits restaurant is unassuming but a pleasant surprise. The food is quite good. They are open for dinner hours only.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your visit with us. I’m pleased that your overall visit was a pleasant one and we do work extremely hard at providing great service for our guests. I’m also pleased that Mr. G’s met your expectations and if you visit us during racing season we do offer much more. Once again thank you for your feedback and I’m looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

It's too bad that some of the recent reviewers had bad experiences. We have been here 4 times in the past 11 years. The lobby was redone 2 years ago. The halls were well-let. Rooms have also been updated. Our room was super-clean. Staff were pleasant and continental breakfast was fine. Toilet was loud but we assumed it was because we were on the 7th floor in a relatively remote locale.

Room Tip: We did not note or use any kids activities or room service.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Casino and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Dear Guest,
I would like to personally thank you for your response and I’m pleased that we have been able to meet your expectations which are evident by your continued loyalty with us. We strive to exceed our guest’s expectations through outstanding service, variety of entertainment and overall great visits. I’m confident that you will continue to receive the same level of service and looking forward to seeing you on your next visit.