“Nice spot for a night”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Vernon
Ronkonkoma, New York
“Nice spot for a night”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed here for one night before a Family Wedding in Lyons Fall's New York. The lobby was very welcoming, had a huge fireplace. The staff at the front desk was very police and pleasant to speak with. Fortunately, I did not have to deal with staff much so that was a good thing.
Our room was very large and spacious. We have the Junior King Suite which came with the jacuzzi/whirlpool in the room. The room was clean and did not smell at all. One downfall is that our room was facing the parking lot and a large light was shining in our room, however, the room did come with heavy drapes to block out the light.
The hotel has a small restaurant and bar inside that we did eat at. The wait staff was polite though it did seem to take a lot of time to have our order ready, but they did apologize so it was no big deal. There was a pool, however, we had no time to use it.
We did venture into the casino which was a little small and though there was no smoking, it did seem kind of old, like an old Las Vegas gambling hall. No tables, only slots, and the slots did not give you an option to bet lines, only in max bets, but that is a small detail.
For a night's stay, this was a great hotel to stay at and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the horse track, may be better for lighting. If you expect table games then you wi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rich S
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest
I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your visit with us. I’m pleased the room accommodations met your expectation and I would recommend a track view room on your next visit. I do apologize for the wait time you experienced in our restaurant which they strive to provide fast and friendly service. We do offer weekend entertainment in Ring Eyed Pete’s bar on the gaming floor along with Champions Buffet and Triple 7’s restaurant. Once again I would like to thank you for your comments and we are looking forward to your next visit with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were planning a day and evening at the Vernon Downs Casino and didn't want to drive to the casino from another location so we decided to book this hotel. It was a little more than we usually pay ($144 with tax) for one night - but the convenience was worth it. There is easy inside access to the casino from the hotel side. The casino is slots only but if you are looking for 1 cent machines this is the place; I'd say that 80% of the machines are 1 cent machines and there were a lot of popular games. There's also a bar area and a fast food restaurant (Triple 7's) where you can buy burgers, fries, sandwiches, etc. The prices are reasonable. There is a $3.49 breakfast served in the morning at the Triple 7's restaurant but we found it too greasy. There is also Champions buffet restaurant that serves lunch and dinner. We had lunch there and the food and sevice was excellent. The hotel room was very neat and clean. We had 2 queen pillow-top beds that were very comfortable. There were plenty of pillows and an extra blanket in the closet if one needed. The 3rd floor has a good-sized continental breakfast room that opens out onto the rooftop patio. Coffee, tea, juice, baggles, doughnuts, toast, hard-boiled eggs and more was available between 7am-10am Monday-Friday. The patio has a great view of the surrounding landscapes and overlooks the racetrack.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Utica , NY
Reviewed August 23, 2012

First its like a tooth pull trying to get someone to answer the phone and you always seem to be bothering the desk person. The rooms rugs and carpets in hallway are 20 years old. No attempt at accomodating minor requests. The casino is a money pit and their computers go down all the time without paying customers or honoring their coupons. Go to the horse track if you must hit this property up.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KayDubya66

Travelers are raving about these Vernon hotels

Springville, New York
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have stayed here about 5 yrs in a row now and may not be returning. The prices keep going up during the antique shows in Madison. The weekend especially is too high. The rooms are ok, and I agree with others that they could be cleaner. Our bathroom counter was dirty.
Their breakfasts have not improved over the years. For the price of these rooms, breakfast should include better choices: waffles, scrambled eggs, better bagels, fruit, etc. and 2 toasters. {this place has to have slowest toasters] The pastries cone out of the fridge and are cold. worst breakfast around, and they do not offer it on weekends. Coffee is weak and awful.
I stay here only because few choices in the area.
Staff is pleasant.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your visit to the hotel. I'm pleased that you have continued to stay with us over the years and I apologize the room fell short of your expectations. We have made many improvements as our rates are very competative to other hotels in the area. Your comments regarding the breakfast is not typical and I will review this with our food and beverage department. We have since changed our coffee both in room and in the restaurant which you would be pleased with. Once again I would like to say thank you for your feedback as we strive to meet all of our guests expectations every time they visit us.
fishkill, ny
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My stay at the hotel was pleasant. The room was clean, comfortable, and well-ventilated. I had a very comfortable king-sized bed and slept like a baby. My room overlooked the racetrack and it was wonderful to watch the horseman work out their horses in the morning. Mr. G's restaraunt was also very good and I was surprised to find that the prices were reasonable. You could eat trackside or in the air-conditioned dining room. From your room, you are a short walk to the casino where the slots are fairly "loose" meaning that you actually can win sometimes.Some nights there is live entertainment and there was a great "early bird" deal at the buffet. But go early because lines form. The racetrack is a short walk or shuttle ride away and it is a good bet. It is a family place to go and on Thursdays, it's dollar day for hot dogs, popcorn, and beer.

Room Tip: Get a room on the racetrack side. Also, there is a gym and a pool so bring your gear. There is a d...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bravefilius
Dear Guest,
I would like to express my appreciation for your response regarding your visit with us. I'm extremely pleased that our hotel and restaraunt met your expectations providing a wonderful experience. All of the departments work hard toward providing outstanding service for our guests and I'm pleased you had a wonderful time. We do offer many exciting as well as relaxing things to do while visiting our property and we are looking forward to your next visit with us.
Trumansburg
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I played slots here once, then they sent me a coupon which we booked for 6/28/12, a Friday night. The hotel has a nice walkway to the gaming floor, which is slots only. However, they also have a nice bar area and had some live music. The hotel room was nice and clean. A nice feature was a small sink outside the bathroom with a coffee maker and the fixings.

We got up the next morning and the restaurant (Champions) for breakfast was running 1/2 hour behind for their opening (not a great breakfast there, by the way, okay but not great). So, we went to our room, made coffee, then sat outside watching the horses exercise--this was a fabulous area to sit and become very peaceful, before the hubabaloo with all the races later in the day. It was cool on the patio area and we enjoyed sitting there sipping our coffee and watching.

Would we stay here again, even if we had to pay? Yup. I'd pay $95 for this room.

Room Tip: I'd personally like a room on the horse track side next time, just to see the difference. We ha...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grammygail
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your visit. I was very pleased to read about how much you enjoyed your stay relaxing watching the horses work out and entertainment at Ring Eyed Pete's. I have also shared your feedback with my hotel staff regarding the rooms meeting your expecations being comfortable and clean. I would like to apologize for the delay with breakfast at Champions which has been reviewed and is not the standard for us. Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and I'm looking forward to your next visit with us.
Seattle
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

It was difficult to come up with a fair rating for the hotel at Vernon Downs. Their beds were comfortable. Despite thproprty being full and our room being right next to th elevator it was actually very quiet and I slept well. The cleanliness (or lack of) was what made me rate this at only two of five.
I notified the front desk after the first night that thee bathroom was not thoroughly cleaned. Dust and hair were on the baseboards and notable when the bathroom door was closed (I assume housekeeping cleaned the room with the door opened and never thought to look behind it). The floor was clearly unclean and the wall next to the commode and the shower had obviously not been thoroughly cleaned. Given that I mentioned the problem before we left for the day - giving them ample opportunity to clean it while we wer're out for the day - I'd say this was a FAIL.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
Wingate by Wyndham Rome

Been to Vernon Downs Hotel? Share your experiences!