“Well worth the time!”

New Windsor Cantonment
More attraction details
Owner description: New Windsor Cantonment was a huge military community housing some 7,500 soldiers and 500 of their wives and children. General George Washington faced his greatest challenge here keeping the Continental Army ready for an uncertain future in the closing days of the Revolutionary War. Today the 1782-83 cantonment is alive with uniformed soldiers performing musket drills and historic trades demonstrations April through October and with interactive exhibits for children and adults year round.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Well worth the time!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Much research has gone into the New Windsor Cantonment; my parents were on the Board many years ago and were instrumental in much of what you see today. The Temple building is reconstructed within 18" of the original. I don't know what OhioBER was looking for or expecting, but when I worked there years ago, there were 7 buildings including a very charming gift shop. We all wore historically correct costumes, but often the heat during the summer precludes wearing a soldier's uniform which was made of wool. The Officer's Hut is well worth catching, especially if there are demonstrations that day.

CT
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“A gem we never knew about”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Complete with guides dressed in costume who were extremely informative. The only downside was the bugs who ate us alive. spray and go!

Boardman, Ohio
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Expected much more...”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I honestly admit I was expecting more based on the other reviews. The visitor center looks nice from the outside, but all it really contains is one small room with some displays and information about the conditions facing the Continental Army during its stay here. Unlike most other visitor centers, there wasn't an orientation film that I could find (although if you visit the nearby Washington HQ in Newburgh the orientation film there gives you a good understanding of what happened here as well). I think the Purple Heart Hall of Fame actually constitutes about 75% of the space in the joint facility it shares with the cantonment visitor center. There is a small gift shop, but nothing to write home about.

Making my way to the buildings of the cantonment, I was disappointed how few there were, and I think 2 of them were locked up and inaccessible. The highlight is the so-called Temple of Virtue, a reconstruction of the large meeting house used by the army. Only 2 costumed guides were present, neither was even dressed as a Continental soldier. They are really missing the boat here, it would have been great to have someone portray a soldier who witnessed Washington thwart the officers conspiracy against Congress.

Worth a stop if you are in the area, but not something I would go out of my way to visit again.

Poughkeepsie, New York, Usa
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great for History Buffs”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

New Windsor Cantonment is where the Purple Heart was established by George Washington. It is also where he was when he found out that the British had surrendered. The Purple Heart Hall of Fame is there and they have costumed guides who are very instructive. I have been there a few times and will go again before the end of the summer.

Visited August 2012
New York City, New York
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 224 helpful votes
“Every American should visit when in the area”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Pays tribute to our fallen and forgotten men and women, who lost their lives so that we can live in freedom and play with our smart phones! What a dear price they paid. May they rest in peace, Amen.

Visited July 2013

Been to New Windsor Cantonment? Share your experiences!