“For below $60 (with AAA), it's the cleanest, quietest, most comfortable place!”
Review of Red Roof Inn Utica

Red Roof Inn Utica
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Utica
western NY
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I spent quite a few hours on the Internet, trying to find the safest, cleanest, most reasonable place to spend the night on our way to visit Hamilton College (in order to check it out with my teenager). I found some incredibly cheap places but by calling, and reading reviews, I discovered that "cheap" translates into, as one reviewer wrote, "the hotel from hell." For $54 without taxes, and with an AAA discount, I found the Red Roof Inn and was delighted to discover how comfortable, clean, and pleasant the room was. Very few luxuries, like a basket of freebies and coffee in the room, were offered and that was fine as who needs more STUFF? Freshly ground coffee was free and found at the office from a by-cup machine. Beds were good, and noise was absent, and I found a picnic table to have a smoke. Most the very later comers were assigned the rooms on the side facing the highway but we had made a reservation only the day before, and were assigned the quiet side. Small rooms, small shower area, and did I mention how clean everything was? Not much cold water, so I used the ice bucket to cool it for drinking. Frig in the room, TV too, but no iron (just hang the clothes in the shower room overnight-the steam will dewrinkle them). No continental breakfast but you are offered 10% off, a short distance away, at Friendlies. Just show your receipt. Great night's sleep, and thanks!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Toronto
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We stopped here for one night to break up a long drive home after a two week road trip. We didn't expect much after staying in a handful of different hotels and inns all over the east coast. To our surprise, I can honestly say that Red Roof Inn was one of the best hotels we stayed in. The renovations are great - rooms are updated, decorated nicely and have everything you need! Very clean and AWESOME price! We especially liked the little desk with ergonomic office chair.

There are a few things to do with your kids in the area including the Children's museum, scenic train ride, zoo, etc. Great family restaurants are nearby too. If you are staying, definitely go to Delmonico's Italian Steakhouse. They have great Italian food and it's less than a mile away. For breakfast, go to Friendly's.

Would be nice if they offered free wifi, more channels (esp a kid's channel). However, considering the price it isn't a big deal. Would definitely recommend and stay again :)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
South Bend, IN
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Sammi, the front dest desk reservationist actually remembered me from my stay the previous year. Each year I travel from the Midwest to the East Coast and back. I choose Red Roof for value, cleanliness, but above all, service. Imagine being greeted by a friendly, courteous, vivacious young lady who remembers you from the year before, and goes beyond her normal duties to ensure that you have all the comforts of home. She stays past her shift time to help you solve a problem, and offers to draw you a map to get to a difficult-to-find attraction. Sammi is a rare gem, but all the Red Roof employees that I have met have demonstrated similar superb work ethics. Isn't that what you would expect after a long day of traveling? You'll be well taken care of at Red Roof. Susan Hartzell, South Bend, IN

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank LighthouseSeeker
Toronto
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We stayed one night while driving to the Catskills; very friendly check-in; reasonable price. Nice location surrounded by trees, close to a barge canal, short drive to McDonalds for breakfast. Right off the Thruway.

But we could not hear any road sound at all. (Our room was at the back of a building.)

The room was very clean. A no smoking room and no smell of smoke at all! Nice bathroom, lots of towels. Excellent reading lamps above the bed.

For us, this is the perfect type of motel to stay a night while driving somewhere, or a couple of days if visiting friends in another city. Friendly, family operated, clean, quite, perfect location, nice setting.

Not fancy but we did not need fancy at all.

Peter

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NY
Reviewed June 25, 2009

The hotel was ok. They need to remove the old burned out light fixtures in the rooms they are real eye sores. You could smell smoke in our room even though it was non smoking it was coming in the bathroom air vents,, Hotels that allow smoking should contain it to one building only as it always comes in through vents. One of our party has asthma and was bothered a bit by the smoke.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 20, 2009

Came in late, long day. Had to pay 2 extra dollars to get a king room to have wifi. Staff was very nice. Got to room, unpacked, peeled back bedding. There was human semen on the blanket, plain as day. Hair under the pillow. The bedding had not been changed. Major hotel error. Staff was apologetic, offered another room. I received full refund. The next morning I saw the room keepers changing all bedding including the sham, so Im not sure if this is a one time error or not. I will not risk it in the future. Room was very modern and flashy, but the fridge made noise all night. NO BREAKFAST

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2009

I arrived on March 20 and got exactly the room I requested. Non smoking with a king size bed and it was very clean. The person at the front desk was very agreable with a nice attitude. After arriving at my room, I requested a few additionnal pillows and they arrived in within minutes. As I was staying for a few more days, I decided to upgrade my room as I realized it would be more convenient to have a mini fridge and a micro wave. Not only were they able to accommodate me, they even offered that I kept the same room and they would bring in a mini fridge, wow, talk about customer service. I still decided to upgrade my room as I also decided to switch to a smoking room. I stayed at the Red Roof Inn for 4 nights and I wasn't disappointed. Very clean and the personal is very curteous but above all, based on the price I paid for my stay, I definitely reccommend this place to anyone in the area. It has a nice location , near restaurants and not far from downtown.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple