“Pleasantly surprised, the ratings are correct!”
Review of Red Roof Inn Utica

Red Roof Inn Utica
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Utica
Dickson City, Pennsylvania
“Pleasantly surprised, the ratings are correct!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is a jewel for travelers. We went to Utica to visit the SUNY campus there for orientation. I went to their website and booked online for the best price rather than travel sites. I first looked on Tripadvisor for the ratings and found that it was rated highly, to my surprise for a budget hotel. We only needed a bed, so didn't need frills. I commented to the front desk clerk that I chose the hotel because they were #3, and they said that they were #2 until a new hotel w/pool was recently built.
Husband, son and myself were impressed with effortless check-in, so quickly, the desk clerk also adjusted the price based on a coupon I forgot to bring. There was no coffee in the lobby and she quickly began making a new pot for us. There is no continental breakfast but we didn't need it. If you need a hair dryer, you must get at the desk.
The room was a double( 2 beds), knowing this ahead of time was a plus being we like queen or larger, so there was no issue squeezing together. Hardwood floors on most of room and carpet where the beds are. Nice desk chair, flat panel TV, side chair, sink area w/large counter. The bathroom was spotless. Enough towels & supplies. Bathroom a tight squeeze but we didn't mind. Parking outside the room, we walked up to the 2nd floor (2 floors). The entire floor was spotless as well and the bed was made so tightly my grandmother would be pleased that you can bounce a quarter on it (just the way she learned to make the bed!)
The hotel hosts a large amount of construction workers who look like they are settling in for the summer so book early. I wouldn't recommend walking in especially on a weekday since by 8:00pm there was no vacancy. Perfect location to SUNY campus. Lots of restaurants in the area to eat. Pizza place at entrance to hotel. Can walk to many. Right next to the canal.
Also right off the NY Thruway. No noise that I could tell. We also inquired as to a good ethnic restaurant and the clerk printed out the map immediately and it was great (that is another review). I can't remember her name, sorry.

Room Tip: They have other choices than double to get a bigger room and one bed. It was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EaZexcursions

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Wardsboro, Vermont
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Just needed a place to crash for the night with the kids on our way to the 1000 Islands. Staff was friendly, the room was in great shape, and even though the place was full, the noise level wasn't bad. I normally stay with the Holiday Inn chain but this place was half the price and it worked out well. I wouldn't recommend more than a night or two, but for a budget motel, it's one of the better ones.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
BETHPETRISKIGM, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Utica, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
We hope your trip to the 1000 islands was amazing! We are so happy that we were apart of your adventure. Our little place has gone through quite the transformation during our recent renovation. It is exciting that you recognized we have comparable features at half the cost to the mid scale brands. Red Roof Inn is moving and shaking and great for families that are bee bopping around.
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

I'll wouldn't come again (:
the night shift service was great but in the morning ...... no mam...
Telling my wife she is the problem that she is sensitive to the covers...
damn!?!!!!
ohhh i've almost forgot ....
noisy... too noisy... thin paper walls...
Not worth the price of 85$ that included a strange 1.5$ ....

• Stayed May 2013
BETHPETRISKIGM, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Utica, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback! Our property has concluded the renovation in April of 2013. All 112 of our rooms are completely renovated to include flat screen televisions, hardwood floors and brand new beds. All the linens, duvets and pillows are shiny and brand new! We are packed to the brim nightly. Our rates reflect the amount of demand that is in the area versus the supply, We are a popular choice.
Ingersoll, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We needed a place to stay on our trip between Buffalo and Boston and this was an excellent choice. Clean "carpet free" rooms and right off the highway. It looks like old from the outside but the rooms have been updated. A great choice for any traveler.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I don't know if I don't expect this hotel to be great, but I am always surprised when I return here. The clean wood floors work: they are clean and give a unique feel to the room. All else is new or is kept in beautiful condition. I just pass through, but this hotel is a welcome stop.

• Stayed May 2013
Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The remodeling is spotless and a true upgrade for the Red Roof properties. The staff at the counter engaged in efforts not once but twice to save me considerable money. I'll not specify so as to avert a deluge of travelers demanding the same accomodation but suffice to say: they were about as kind and accomodating a staff as I've experienced at any Red Roof. Additionally, I was there for a week's assignment. Neither the evenings nor the mornings were noisy at all. In fact, while indeed the parking spaces were full of locally working out-of-town contractors, there was never any sense of menace or rowdiness and I realized - from the few I spoke to - and common sense, these men work long hard days and return to the hotel to spend time decompressing. They're dog tired. They have a beer or two and enjoy perhaps an outdoor bite to eat but in all the times over a week I was in and out of my room, I never heard or encountered the slightest disruption. None. Moreover, by 6 am, they are all gone - off to work harder than most of sleeping in, I'm sure. As for the house keeping staff, they're as quiet as mice. I detest the bang bang bang in the morning - often hours before check out - by inconsiderate cleaning staff. Not here. Quiet and perfectly professional. I could go on but I will tell you this: should I return in June for another assignment, I'm at the Red Roof without the slightest hestitation. And I was there for a full week and appalled enough by some of the petty bourgeois sniping about these good men working hard for the town to post this of my own volition. Excellent experience. Bravo the Utica people of Red Roof!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

As usual, our favorite Red Rood Inn has made our stay in Utica a comfortable experience. They are renovating the rooms and our room was spotless with new hardwood floors, a nice TV and a very comfy bed. (A nice motel is even nicer!)
There was some outside painting still going on outside... the staff was grilling food and even invited us to share it. Everyone is always very friendly and seem honestly sincere in trying to make our stay enjoyable. This is a really great place to stay!

• Stayed April 2013