“Great Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Utica
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed June 9, 2010

This was a great hotel and a fun little city to spend a short time in. Their local restaurant's are excellent. I enjoyed Chicken Riggies (local specialty) at The Secret Garden on Culver Ave and they were absolutely delicious! We also had Dinner at Carmellas where our children ate at no charge because it was Sunday and they make their own pasta right there! The Turning Stone Casino was only a 20 minute drive away using the thruway. They have plenty of paved walking trails in the area (I recommend the Marcy trail off of River Rd. it is along the canal and has raspberry bushes along the walk. Golfed at Valley View Golf Course and it was excellent. Roads are somewhat confusing the way they are set up and a lack of signs made it a little frustrating so make sure you have a GPS for this place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Stayed here for business. If you can avoid the Hotel, you should. In fact if you can avoid the whole town, you should! Checked into my room to discover that my windows opened up to the Breakfast Dining Hall. What the heck? Each morning I woke up to clanking and crashing of tables being set up, and of course the smell of bacon and sausage. My room was filled with food smells each and every morning. I notices they put a Ionizer unit in my room to try to help, but I do not think that little Ionizer is any match for a hotel kitchen. The evenings were a little better since no one eats here for dinner, however still loud untill about 9 p.m. Cleanliness was OK, but the room I had was pretty beat up.

If you can avoid Utica all together, please do. While there are pockets of charm, the vast majority of this town is a shell of a former glory. Mere feet from Genessee St. (main drag) things get ugly and nasty pretty quick. No night life, no conversation above a high school degree and not much class.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank SwissMr
, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, July 7, 2010
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry the the room did not meet your expectations for either comfort or location. I ask that you contact me directly and I will be happy to discuss the issues and make it right for you either on a future stay for this past stay.

Utica, New York
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I was disappointed in the way the 2 waitresses at The Garden Grille located in the lobby of the hotel treated me at the complimentary breakfast. They did not offer me coffee or asked how I was doing. They bypassed me at least 7 times and voluntarily offered "certain patrons" coffee and asked them if everything was alright. I felt insulted and angry. I don't know what kind of "unwritten" policy this hotel enforces and tolerates. I complained to the front desk about the treatment and they apologized. Words are one thing but actions speak louder! The garage next to the hotel feels eerie. Not too safe looking. Otherwise, the rooms are decent and the bed is very comfortable. I am here on business and since this hotel has a fridge (which I need) and is walking distance to the job site, I am tolerating it. Otherwise I would niether go back for pleasure nor recommend family members or friends. I don't go back to the restuarant. It left me feeling uncomfortable and uninvited.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Boston
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We checked into an "Executive King". I expected a bigger room, this one was below average in size. More importantly, the bathroom was tiny, smaller than any bathroom in any hotel I have visited. The shower did work well, and was powerful with good temp control.

Problems encountered also included a Sleep Number bed, that while having a superior mattress and a full king size, the Sleep Number control did not work at all. The safe did not work, it would not accept my combination entry despite several attemts, probably due to the fact that the faceplate was half attached and hanging by one screw. The Hairdryer housing was cracked and did not work either.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kbogus
Long Island
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Spent one night with two adults and a teenager out college shopping. The price was right and the hotel was clean. It had a bit of old hotel charm with the draperies, armoir, and large framed pictures. We didn't use the indoor pool, but it looked good and clean. Front desk service was friendly. Parking was an additional $7 in the adjacent city parking garage (which bugged me). Nothing to walk to in the immediate area...in fact being a business district, it was extremely deserted so I do not recommened taking a walk after dark. Need a car to go several blocks to find a restaurant if you do not want to eat in the hotel. Yes, there were cheaper hotels down the street, but what could you possibly expect for $55/night....

Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
princeton
Reviewed November 3, 2009

The room was clean, and in good shape. Had a microwave and small fridge as well as the usual coffeemaker. Desk nice size. Staff was friendly. Arrived late, with no problems. Breakfast buffet offered huge choice, fresh foods, clean presentation, in a very pleasant, large dining room with skylights. Got a good rate from Radisson's web site -- $127 w/ Amex, included breakfasts for two. We were on visit to Hamilton College. Arriving too late to stay at a B&B in Clinton; hotels in New Hartford were close to college, but got luke warm ratings; so, we decided to stay in Utica. The Radisson was easy to find from Thruway, and an easy 15-20 minute drive to the college in the morning. Fitness center was large -- more than the usual number of machines -- in good shape.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Bainbridge, New York
Reviewed September 10, 2009

First I have to say I love this hotel even after what happened. The day of Our departure we found our truck was vanadalized and robbed of some of our contents The window was smashed out and glass everywhere. I went back to the hotel to ask for a late check out since we had to wait for the police. The hotel was very understanding and the front desk manager even comped our stay which they didn't have to since they didn't own the parking garage . I can't say enough about the police and the parking attedant wonderfull people. I just wish I would have wrote this sooner and remembered the managers name, she ia a great asset to this hotel THANK YOU! and as every year in mid-summer I will be back can't wait.

Stayed July 2009