“Good Find”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Utica
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Good Find”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We rolled into Utica late and checked the Holiday Inn Express for a room, but found they were full. The desk clerk suggested this hotel and gave me the directions to get there. Only a couple miles from the highway, the property is in downtown Utica. It was very nice and the desk clerk was so kind in giving us a bit of a price break since it was so late and we were there for personal reasons, not business. The room was clean and comfortable. The only downside was the thinness for walls. We could hear our neighbors talking. The morning breakfast buffet was a step up from the typical continental breakfast. We were waited on after getting our food from the buffet. We had a good rest and I felt we got our money's worth from the stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Cruised in off the Turnpike for a bed on the way to Canada. Other places were full so we were directed to the Radisson. One thing that stuck me immediately as we approached our 3rd floor room was the carpet in the hallway. Not a good first impression. It was so full of stains, it could have been from an oil change shop. The room was okay although dated with the wood delaminating from the bathroom door. Nice view of the pink strip club across the street. Get up early because breakfast ends at 9:30. If you are on business that's ok but if you drove 10 hours and arrived late, that's probably going to inconvenience you a little. Overall I'd say 3 stars was generous for $ 180 one night with my wife and sister in-law.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I agree with the previous reviewers comments. They describe this hotel very well. In general, it's not decorated to my taste -- but Grandma and Grandpa may like it. The rooms are well appointed but in a style from a previous decade. I would not overpay for this facility unless you absolutely must have a sleep number bed. If you are traveling, go have breakfast at the Top of the Morning Cafe near the interstate. There is nothing really wrong with this Radisson but nothing really amazing either. It is Very Good for now but the clock is ticking before this facility is rebranded or significantly redecorated.

• Stayed August 2013
Oakland, California
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My kids and I went to visit a few colleges in upstate NY, and decided to spend one night at this place. Overall, it was fine, but not great. Check in took about 15 minutes as there was just one person at the check in counter, and she was trying to resolve several people's issues at the same time (some on the phone, others in the lobby). Eventually we checked in and got our key and went to our room. It was fine. Not great; not awful; just adequate. It did have "sleep number" beds, but they didn't work too well. We got one to adjust. The other made some noise but didn't seem to change the bed settings. We've never used sleep number beds before, so maybe it was user error. There were no instructions. The next morning we had breakfast at the restaurant. The eggs were rubbery and the service was slow. Someone offered to refill my cup with hot water for tea. The water arrived about 15 minutes later, just as we were leaving. Still, the place is reasonably priced, clean and sufficiently comfortable. The town isn't exactly full of Ritz Carleton's, so if you're looking for a fancy place in the area, you're out of luck. But if you want an adequate, clean place, try this place.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kim T
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip in May, the room was booked for me by someone else so I don't know how the rates were. The hotel was fine, but I wasn't overly impressed.

I did not like that the hotel used the cities adjacent public parking lot as their own lot. It ended up being fine, but it initially made me a little leery about where to leave my car in there and how people were at night in the city.

Check in and check out were fine and easy. On the ground floor, there was a restaurant that was fairly crowded. Hotel guests needed to use their room key to use the elevator, which got annoying if someone else got in and hit a floor before you, and you'd have to swipe your key again to continue going.

My room was clean, large sized and actually overlooked the roof of the parking lot. I was excited to see the sleep number bed since I had heard about them before, but I didn't find it that impressive after sleeping in it for the night.

It was a perfectly fine hotel to stay over for the night, but nothing that made it stand out above and beyond any other. It'll work if you need someplace clean to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jennjenn85
Baltimore
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We used this Hotel for out of town guests for our Wedding. Customer service was horible. A month after the event we are still receiving charges for things that were never discussed or authorized. They screwed up the open bar, charged everyone for parking even if they did not have a car (and the town garage is free on the weekends), and the breakfast buffet was totally forgotten. The bride and groom were setting and bussing tables so guests could sit. All guests got free breakfast coupons and they still charged us for the buffet. The hotel manager has been no help in resolving any of these issues. She is clueless.

Horrible! Do not do any part of your wedding here.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you taking the time to share your experience. We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction, and that your wedding did not work as planned. We have passed on your concerns to hotel management so they may address this situation internally. To discuss your concern further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

Travelers are raving about these Utica hotels

New York City
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Hotel is nice if you are willing to ignore the small town feel. Nice, comfortable bed, nice restaurant/bar. One thing I had to call the staff on is their charging me for parking when I had come by train. Thankfully they removed that charge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business