“Nice hotel with excellent breakfasts”

Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice on business trips to the Utica area and have had pleasant experiences both times. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are comfortable, clean and nicely decorated, the location is quiet, and the breakfast buffets are excellent, with numerous fresh options. The bar is also very good and a great place to hang out with colleagues in the evenings. It's also nice that the parking is covered and there is an enclosed walkway from the garage to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed there multiple times. Always clean, convenient, professional. Best part - covered parking and freshly made breakfast. No synthetic eggs and frozen waffles. Wifi is fast enough. Ask for the room on 6 th floor, great view of the city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jana W
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My family and I stay here every year to celebrate Christmas and we love it. The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly. Food is always fantastic, we had room service and ate in the dining room for other meals. Our only disappointment was the pool area. The water was clean but the surrounding area was pretty gross, obviously hadn't been swept in awhile. Overall though, a great playce to stay and we'll definitely be back again next year.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I made a reservation for a conference at this hotel through their corporate reservation staff and cancelled it there as well due to severe weather. They were polite & said there would be no charge because it was cancelled in the allotted time. I wrote down the date & time and thought all was well. One week after the cancelled stay my credit card was charged. I won't go into all the details here, but will say I spoke to one of the rudest women I've ever encountered at a hotel. She refused to look up the reservation, kept calling me by someone else's name, said I was a no-show and a liar - refused to refund and hung up on me. I'm really kind of glad it snowed and definitely will not be staying at this property again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank amethyst1875
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed at this Radisson on a business trip to Utica. The hotel was easy to find, even in when it was snowing hard! The hotel has FREE covered parking (yay!) and an indoor walkway to the hotel entrance. So, nice. Check in was fast and efficient. The rooms are large and very comfortable. The bathroom is the only negative. It is pretty small and the shower head needed some updating. I think it was supposed to be a pulsating shower, but the pulsating part didn't work very well. Internet was fast and easy to connect. Breakfast was great! Great service and selection. I didn't dine at the hotel, and there is only one place that I saw within walking distance to eat, and it was a pub. So, be prepared to drive somewhere for find dinner. The gym is new and nice as well. They do have sleep number beds here, which, I'm not really a fan, but still slept comfortably. I will be back on business again and will most likely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I had to stay at this hotel because my meeting was here and it was booked through others. But this is such an outdated hotel. There is radiators in your rooms that will bang all night to heat your room. The room I had was so large, unnecessarily so, considering that the bathroom is ridiculously small that the door just misses the toilet. And my floor had toilet paper bits on it that I didn't notice until later. And then when I flushed the toilet I knew why. The toilet kept backing up. Fortunately it was a quick stay and I am now about to check out. But it seems that unless the room wasn't cleaned they would have known. There is also old beds with some control for firmness of mattress that didn't make it comfortable. But the only good thing I can say is the staff were pleasant and kind.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Martha G
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the problems you encountered while staying at our hotel. We take your comments very seriously and will use them for training and improve our standards and address areas that need attention.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights in connection with a college program that required me to be in Utica for a few days. The college offered a special rate, so I'm guessing this was probably the best deal for decent lodging in the area.

I was initially OK with the $7 parking fee being tacked onto my hotel bill, seeing as how it was covered parking, with the going rate posted at $12/day (cash -- no credit cards). However, after noticing each morning that the parking lot exit was unattended, it didn't seem like such a great deal. I believe the parking fee is primarily aimed at downtown workers who need to park in the garage during the normal 8-5 workday hours.

My room was fairly comfortable, with the exception of the heating/cooling system. I had no problem adjusting the room temperature, but the fan was rather loud, and there was no way to completely turn it off. I ultimately decided to set the fan to low, so that it would run all the time, instead of the "auto" setting, which disturbed my sleep as the fan noisily turned on/off throughout the night.

I had 2 minor issues regarding cleanliness of the room: When I first arrived, I noticed a leftover cardboard Bud Light box sitting under one of the chairs that was apparently overlooked by housekeeping. I also noticed that one of the drinking glasses that was replaced in the bathroom on my second day there had some stuck-on stuff on the outside.

I was happy with the selection of TV programming in my room. So often at moderately priced hotels the selection of TV stations is extremely limited, but this was not the case at the Radisson.

I did use the pool during my stay, and it was fine. The pool temp was nice and warm, with depth ranging from 3-5 feet. There is also a hot tub and a fitness room, neither of which I tried.

I did not eat at the restaurant or drink at the bar at this location, so I cannot comment on those. There is a very good restaurant/pub about 2 blocks down the street (Swifty's) that has a great selection of beers. I also enjoyed happy hour at Griffin's (Irish) bar, only about half a block away.

All in all, I would certainly consider staying here again if I need to visit downtown Utica, but based on my experience (as well as listening to the experiences of my colleagues at the college), it seems to be hit and miss in terms of cleanliness and quiet.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
DavidCocomazzi, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I certainly appreciate your honest and fair response regarding your recent stay. I have spoken with our Executive Housekeeper and we are going to continue to make room inspections our number one priority.

I am happy to see you that you enjoy some of the local eateries within walking distance of the hotel.

Again thank you for taking time out of your school schedule to reach out to us.

Enjoy your day,