“forbidding exterior, comfortable once you're inside” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Utica

Hampton Inn Utica
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Utica
New York City
“forbidding exterior, comfortable once you're inside”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

In a bleak, penitentiary-like setting, difficult to spot from the street (hint: it's behind Denny's), but once you get inside everything is fine. Comfortable room and bed, good lighting (they replaced a burnt-out light-bulb), better-than-average water pressure in the shower, nice TV, all the right amenities, plus a free, hot breakfast.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hentyfan
Maria B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Utica, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Hentyfan,

We are glad to hear that you found our little gem here in Utica. We pride ourselves on clean, comfortable rooms with excellent customer service. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn on a recent college search trip. It was close to Hamilton College and Colgate and was a great choice! The staff was AMAZING! They greeted us with a smile and complimentary bottles of water! When we asked for help in finding the schools, they printed us directions on map-quest. The rooms were very clean as was the workout area and pool. The complimentary afternoon snacks - pretzels, soup and cheese and crackers - were a pleasant surprise! The lounge area was very comfortable and had lots of seating and a flat-screen T.V. For breakfast ( also complimentary) there were many hot options as well as cereal, bagels and toast. Overall our stay was very enjoyable! It felt more like a home then a hotel! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Utica area! You can't beat the service, cleanliness or price of this special hotel!

2 Thank Luv2travel601
Deat Luv2travel601,

We know how stressful college visit can be for both the kids and the parents. We are so happy to hear that you found our hotel to be a home away from home and hope that if your child chooses to attend one of the many great colleges in our area that you will become one of our regular Hampton family guests!
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

This hotel is absolutely my families choice for lodging when we come to Utica. The rooms are great! Warm and inviting. The kids love the whirlpool suites. The staff is incredible, especially Jennifer, Stacey and Katherine at the front desk. They are always friendly, accomodating and truly know what customer service means, they are an incredible asset to this hotel! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone passing through the area.

1 Thank Paul C
Maria B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Utica, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Mr. C.,

We love having you and your family stay with us. Thank you for recognizing the staff they truly do deliver the best in customer service and I appreciate their dedication to our guests. We always look forward to having you stay with us and look forward to the next time!
Sodus Point, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed overnight on March 7. I was ill and didn't want to press on to Albany - my business destination - so I made a last minute reservation at this Hampton. The property was warm clean and the staff welcoming. The room was clean, fresh, and up to date. The best was yet to come however.
It had snowed during the night and was snowing when I got ready to depart. I came down to put my bag in the car, clean off the snow and start it prior to checking out. to my surprise I saw that the snow and ice had already been mostly brushed off. At first I thought I made a mistake and that it wasn't my car; but then I noticed that all the other cars around it were brushed off also. I walked in to check out as my car was warming up and I realized that some one from the hotel staff had been cleaning off the guests cars. I thanked the the front desk clerk and asked if I could have a piece of paper so I could write a thank you note to the manager. As I was writing it the front desk clerk said "oh here's Bill, our facilities staff who is cleaning the cars off." I introduced myself and thanked him in person. He replied, "Its no big thing sir." Business travelling is not the most fun pass time around and when you are sick and on the road it makes it doubly worse. So thank you Bill and the Utica Hampton staff - "little things do make a big difference" - particularly to this under the weather business traveler.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Michael H
Hi Michael,

We are so glad that you found us during your drive through Utica. We are sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well but delighted to hear about your experience with us. It is words like yours,""little things do make a big difference" - particularly to this under the weather business traveler," that truly make our staff smile and continue to want to make each and every guest's experience with us the best it can be. I shared your response with our maintenance staff too and they were excited for the recognition. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope that you decide to make another last minute stop with us here in Utica.
Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip last week. Having been in more than 50 Hampton Inns over the years I really do believe this was one of the best! I had a room on the third floor on back side of the hotel but I heard no truck noise as noted by another reviewer. Yes I heard trains but they were definitely not loud enough to be a disturbance. Generally I thought this was the quietest hotels I stayed in over the years, both from an inside and an outside noise perspective. The front desk staff said the hotel was completely full but it was very quiet with little to no noise from neighboring rooms. The breakfast is the standard Hampton layout but foods were well stocked and the coffee hot. The evening snacks were much appreciated, especially the crock of chicken noodle soup on a snowy evening. Overall I enjoyed my stayed and highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank platie
Maria B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Utica, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful response. With all the traveling you do, we are so excited to hear that you think we were one of the best! We pride ourselves on a clean and comfortable stay with top notch customer service as we strive to be the number one Hampton Inn in the country! I'm glad the soup could give you some warmth on a cold evening. We hope to have you stay with us again soon!
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

There was nothing wrong with this Hampton Inn, it is clean, the staff is friendly and the breakfast is fine. However, I heard train whistles all night and bright and early trucks started honking. I had a room on the backside of the hotel and I think there was a truck depot behind the hotel.

Room Tip: If you are a heavy sleeper, you should be fine. Or perhaps ask for a room in the front of the hotel...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Maria B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Utica, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback via TripAdvisor. We sincerely apologize for the noise issues you encountered with outside traffic as we know how important a calm and quiet space is while traveling. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you visit our area. We would be happy to put you in a room that is quiet and away from the street and noise so you can get a good night's sleep like you deserve.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We researched many area hotels and were pleased with our choice. This hotel was extremely clean, beds/pillows extra comfy. Our room had a refrigerator and microwave which is a nice touch. It is non smoking & pets are not allowed which is important to us as we suffer with allergies. The staff went out of their way to make us feel wlecome and were always available to help - extra pillows, bottled water upon arrival. The free breakfast was a plus - great assortment & changed from day to day. Hot coffee/tea/hot chocolate and fresh fruit were available at all times. Snacks were served free of charge late afternoon & early evening (chili, s'mores, cookies, etc) another little perk.The location is close to many restaurants & shopping. I will definitely stay at Hampton Inn Utica whenever I'm in the area

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family