“Brother, Can you spare a blanket?”

Best Western Gateway Adirondack Inn
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Utica
Cobleskill, United States
“Brother, Can you spare a blanket?”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Check-in was very basic. No acknowledgement for being a Diamond Elite member, no offer of bonus points, beverage, etc. Christina was very robotic with her procedure. First room was adequate with size and space, but toilet was not properly cleaned, and bathroom floor was visibly dirty. Moved to the main building was efficiently handled, but rooms are motel quality and are quite dated. Heat worked too well, and no happy medium existed with unit. No blanket provided with the basic sheet and thicker sheet, which would have satisfied our comfort without having to crank the heat. This made room very dry. Bathroom was tiny and dated. Barely enough room for tub/shower and toilet. Mattress soft, and upon inspection the next morning had a HUGE stain on it covered by a thin pad. Other staff members I encountered were pleasant, but not sure if genuine, or they just have been instructed to say good morning to guests they encounter. One maid we viewed spent over an hour in one room, but as we walked to and back from breakfast we noticed that she was texting on her phone each time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Kayla W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Gateway Adirondack Inn, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our property! I sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations at our property. We do pride ourselves with customer service and many people we see compliment us on how friendly we all are to each guest individually. I will be sure to discuss the housekeeping issues you have encountered with our head housekeeper and have it addressed immediately. Again, I do apologize for everything and hope that you will consider staying with us in the future.

Kayla White

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Flushing, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed the for one night. The room was accessible from parking lot, which I don't like. The room was freezing when we arrived. We had to turn the heat on ourselves and leave to go eat while the room warmed up. There were no blankets on the bed - we had to request from the front desk. The beds were OK. The bathroom was just OK - tiny and clean, but very outdated. Breakfast buffet was sub par based on every other hotel at which I have stayed. Waffles were cooked in the back and brought to a warmer, where they got soft and mushy. The eggs were awful. Only white bread was available and what I could only describe as plain Lender's bagels. I would only stay there if there were no other hotels available. Try the Hampton Inn across the street.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank cgardiner324
Kayla W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Gateway Adirondack Inn, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for your review on your recent stay at our property, we appreciate your feedback! I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. As you may know, we are experiencing a colder winter than normal in our area, with many days falling into the negatives. I apologize that you found that there were no blankets on the bed. We do have blankets on all of our beds and we follow Best Western's standard for triple sheeting. Triple sheeting includes a decorative top sheet, then the blanket, then two more sheets. I am glad that you found that the bathroom was clean. I apologize for not meeting your expectations for our breakfast buffet. We have many guests that thoroughly enjoy our breakfast. We welcome any suggestions you may have to make it better at any time! Again, thank you for your review, and we hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed January 29, 2014

- nice hotel
- great staff

I booked this hotel without knowing too much about it and it was in haste but i was happy when i checked in as the staff was really helpful and the stay was nice as i got a kitchen suite.

Fallback: My money was blocked (1400 USD) and there was a change of ownership and hence my money was blocked for 30 days. I was also charged separately by new owner for my 30 days stay. I was cashless...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Kayla W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Gateway Adirondack Inn, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you so much for your review on your recent stay at our property. We are so happy that you found our staff to be customer service oriented and friendly! We are glad that you enjoyed our Family Suite with Kitchenette. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience with the credit card issue and apologize that it took so long for the hold on your card to come off from the previous owners. If you are ever in the area again, we would be glad to assist you with accommodations again!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 3, 2013

There are actually two separate buildings. The one that has the entrance/front desk looks like a drive-up motel with an enclosed hallway. The second building - where I stayed - was across the parking lot.
The hallways, carpet, etc. are old and worn. The room was a bit better and appeared (and smelled) to be clean. The bath towels were surprisingly soft.
The breakfast was actually pretty good - variety of hot and cold options.
If you are looking for functional, this place will work. If you are staying more than a couple of nights, you may go home crippled from the hard beds like I did.
Keep in mind that there is no elevator, so if you have accessibility issues, ask for the ground floor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MidwestWanderer
Kayla W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Gateway Adirondack Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you so very much for your recent review of your stay at our property! We are so pleased that we could provide you with comfortable accommodations during your stay with us. We pride ourselves with the cleanliness of our guest rooms and are glad that your room was up to the cleanliness standards of Best Western. We have a great breakfast in the morning for our guests and provide a variety of items to accommodate all of our guests likes for breakfast! Again, thank you so much for your review, and I hope you will consider us again if you are ever in the area!

Canton, Michigan
Reviewed October 22, 2013

It is a basic motel with all facilities. The hotel has all the basic requirements. No issues. Most of the guest rooms are in a separate building from the lobby. The room is spacious. The toilet would make a huge sound everytime we flush. Other than that, we had no issues. Good breakfast, though the breakfast area is little bit cramped.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Kayla W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Gateway Adirondack Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review of your stay at our property! We are so pleased that we could provide you with a clean, safe, comfortable accomodation while you were here with us! We do have two seperate buildings here at our property. I do apologize that the toilet made a loud noise when flushing and will address that with the maintenance department immediately. We do have a great breakfast here at the hotel and are glad that you could enjoy it. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope that you will consider us again if you are ever in the area again.

Clarkston, MI
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is a very old, worn property. It was not my first, second or even third choice. The desk clerk did let us look at the room so we knew what we were getting. It was late at night and not many options available. The room was clean but had a musty odor. The blanket on the bed was double sheeted. The bathroom was small with very harsh lighting. Toiletries were basic - soap and a shampoo/conditioner combo. There was a fridge with a microwave sitting on top of it. The tv was a flatscreen The carpet appeared new. The furniture was old and inexpensive. The heating/cooling unit was under the window, controlled by a wall thermostat. The outside door was warped and did not close/seal all the way. I would not have felt safe here if I was traveling alone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kayla W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Gateway Adirondack Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you so very much for your recent review of your stay at our property. I apologize that you had a musty smell in your room. We have recently implemented a preventative maintenance program and are in the process of deep cleaning every single room in our hotel. This program includes cleaning all walls and ceilings, grouting bathroom tiles, as well as shampooing the carpet. Our bedding is called triple sheeting. Best Western passed a motion that did away with old bed spreads, and this was an option that we had to choose from. The triple sheeting allows for a fresh look in the room. Our televisions were just installed early this year, allowing for the room to have a more modern look. I will immediately address your concerns about the door being warped and will have maintenance go through each room to ensure the weather stripping is secured and all doors are closing properly. I truly apologize for any incidents that may have happened during your stay with us, but hope you will give us another try if you are ever in the area again. If I can be of any assistance with helping you with you stay in the future, please contact me at 315.732.4121.

fairland, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2013

we stayed there because we could not find anything else on a Saturday night during leaf watching season in new York. it's a hotel built in the 50' s that had little updates. the rooms had new fixtures but when the water for the shower turns cold from hot without touching anything... car alarms going off at 1 a.m. people sitting their cars . security? we tried to get breakfast but the tour bus group got there first and they consumed the breakfast area we tried to just get coffee from the coffee machine what came out of the "coffee" machine is anybody's guess. if you expect a lot for what you pay this isn't it. so don't pay a lot if you stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank P.scott R
Thank you so very much for your recent review of your stay here at our property. We are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. You comments will be brought to the attention of our maintenance department to ensure that our water is properly working. We do have many tour groups that come in during this beautiful fall season, and we truly do apologize that you were unable to enjoy our breakfast because it was so busy. Again, I do apologize for anything that went wrong during your stay and hope that you will come back and give us another try if you are ever in the area. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me at 315.732.4121 and I will be glad to assist you.