“Great little dive!”

Pho Mekong House of Noodles
Ranked #9 of 189 Restaurants in Utica
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Tried this place out on the advice of some friends, and we've eaten there several times since then...Every single time, we were delighted that we went.

It's kind of a "hole", granted, and not all that easy to find, but it's well worth the couple of minutes of searching for it on John St. off 5-S.

Everything we've sampled there was perfectly prepared, and priced to sell.And the place is clean, and even has Victoria's Secret literature in the men's room, in case you plan to linger a while... (In fact, they include Gold Bond powder there, and various items that are surprising to see, but serve to lend a quirky sense of home to the place...I wouldn't touch any of them if I were you!)

I'd recommend ordering a full array of the $3.00 appetizers, especially the Asian wings and both types of satay, then progressing to the ginger salmon and whatever combination of noodles or what-not appeals to you. This place allows you to select from a dizzying array of spices, ingredients, and flavored broths. Everything we've experimented with here has turned-out to be exceptional...The only problem you'll have here is making up your mind as to what to order.

I hope people continue to eat out here, even in downtrodden Utica, because this place is a real culinary gem. (And cheap!)

1  Thank Fishman81

Reviewed August 12, 2011

We visited Utica for the Munson-Practit Institute bridal gowns exhibit and took the previous recommendations on TA for lunch.

We had spring rolls, cafe sua da (the only Vietnames word I remember from my trip there!), vermicelli noodles and shrimp, and rice with lemongrass chicken.

Most of the guests eating while we were there were of Asian descent, so likely this is a favorite of the community. I would have liked a little more complexity in the flavors -- Vietnamese is fresh herbs for me -- but it was an excellent meal all the same.

1  Thank sinarmatahari
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Pho Mekong is like having a Cambodian auntie make you the most comforting of comfort foods. The atmosphere is perfect. The owner woman and her passed-husband are angels. Every dish is made with love. My wife and I (both proud upstaters) disagree on the best dishes -- the salmon soup with pineapple and chili (hers) or the simple L-size pho (mine). For the latter, drop the lime in your water, ask for chopped chilies to dump in the broth, hand-shred the green bits and enjoy the multi-layered soup, dipping the flank in Sriracha on the side. It is meditative. There are a hundred ways to enjoy pho, and allow Utica's rich diaspora to warm your heart with this top-notch stuff we're flying 13,000 miles to taste. Three generations of my wife's family love this place.

1  Thank AhKirk
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Love this place and the buffet rocks- Good food for reasonable price- give you way too much food!

Reviewed April 22, 2010

This is a hidden jem of Utica. The outside of the restaurant looks like nothing much. But the food is soooo good. It's so fresh and delicious. You're always served with a fresh hot pot of tea. An you get BIG portions. i have never been disappointed with anything I've ordered. Their sauces are delicious and the food is non greasy and makes you feel good after you eat.. My sister and I go every week. And now I think they've expanded and have a buffet area for $6.95.

I highly recommend the spring rolls and pad thai.

2  Thank Prizes6884