“Amazing BED and FANTASTIC breakfast in this Utica B& B”

Rosemont Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Utica B&B and Inns
brooklyn
“Amazing BED and FANTASTIC breakfast in this Utica B& B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2010

My son and I stayed one night at the Rosemont Inn B&B while we were checking out colleges. Besides being a gorgeous house, our room was lovely, spacious and clean with Turkish towels in the bathroom. Our breakfast was excellently prepared and plentiful, served in a beautiful dining room. When factored into the price - it was quite the bargain!
Why stay only in a hotel when you can have a gourmet breakfast for no extra cost!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

Needed a pit stop from a 5 plus hour drive on my way upsate New York. Stayed in the "Solitude" room which lived up to its name. The breakfast was very good and the Inn Keepers were very nice and accomodating.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

My husband and I were traveling to his college reunion in Rochester, NY and decided to break up the drive into 2 days. We found the Rosemont Inn at the last minute and booked it. We are so very happy we did. My motto is not to believe everything you read or are told until trying it out yourself. Boy, are we happy we did. The previous reviews are either bogus reviews or the people that wrote them must have awful luck when traveling. My husband and I found the Inn to be spotless and very comfortable. Both Rita and Bob were so very gracious. It is true there are no televisions in the rooms. However, there is a 'family room' area with a t.v. in it. We feel that a t.v. in a room of a B&B takes away from the overall feeling that you get when staying at one. The location of the Inn itself is on the main road, however for our needs of overnight (meaning 1 or 2 nights) it is perfect! Very close to the highway for easy access. We highly reccommend the Rosemont Inn B & B and we plan to stay there again when we pass through to upstate NY and Canada. Thank you Rita & Bob for everything.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Butterscotch71
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

When searching for lodging for a trip through upstate New York, I found this bed and breakfast inn, which was nicely presented on the website.

The property is a nicely restored Italianate home that is poorly furnished with uncomfortable, shabby Victorian pieces in the sitting room and library. The library has bright green wall to wall carpeting, and a TV with only local channels and poor reception. The library also houses a couple of pieces of exercise equipment, including some sort of trampoline in front of the sofa. The common areas are dingy, dark and either not air conditioned, or very poorly air conditioned.

The guest rooms are small and cramped. I found the bed comfortable, but there was only one very uncomfortable small chair in the room. There was no TV in the room, but there was a small refrigerator with a microwave sitting on top of it. These appliances, like the conglomeration of stuff in the library, looked out of place.

The bathroom was clean and spacious, and did have a small shelf for toilet articles above the pedestal sink. The shower rigged up in the middle of the claw foot tub was a challenge to use.

The breakfasts are good, with a distinct emphasis on healthy, if that's what you like.

This property is more like a rooming house than a bed and breakfast inn. Except for breakfast, there is no service. The innkeepers do not have a staff to help run the inn. They do everything themselves, as well as care for and home school six children. We came back in the evening to an unmade bed and no clean towels.

The children have the run of the house, and at times monopolize the library.

Lastly, this property is in a very scary, unsafe neighborhood. The block that the inn is on consists mainly of professional offices, but the next block is a housing project, with unsavory characters hanging out and blocking the sidewalk. I thought I would walk to a nearby drugstore to pick up a couple of things I needed, but when I got one block away from the inn, I realized that it was a very bad idea to do so. I was never so frightened in my life...and I was born and raised in New York City. So, if you should decide to stay at Rosemont Inn, please be careful!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PanAm53
innkeepermom, Owner at Rosemont Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 5, 2009
I am very sorry that these guests were so dissatisfied with their stay. It sounds like our Inn was not a good match for their desires and expectations.

We are located on a main street in a very urban area that I would describe as transitional. It is slowly changing for the better. However, if you are uncomfortable in a setting with many "colorful" people, our Inn would not be a good choice. We chose to be in this location in the hopes of participating in the downtown urban renewal.

We love children and welcome them warmly to the Inn. We do also have 6 of our own children, whom you will likely see at some point if you choose to stay here. They often help serve breakfast or help guests carry their luggage. Again, if you dislike or are uncomfortable around children, you will probably want to choose some other lodging option.

The average size of our guest rooms is 15x17, plus full bath. Some are slightly smaller, one is slightly larger. We recently added TV to 2 of the rooms. The microwaves, refrigerators and exercise equipment were added in response to requests from our business travelers.

All guest rooms have window air conditioners. We usually have window air conditioners in the dining room and parlor but since the summer started out so cool we decided not install them this year. We will definitely install them next year.

We do have some cleaning assistants and we do usually provide daily room service. Obviously, we failed to do so for this guest and did not remedy the situation well. We have recently started giving out a separate cell phone number that guests can call if they have after hours service needs.

Rita Sleys (Owner and Innkeeper)
Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

Although this B&B is in a beautiful victorian home, it is in a very sketchy neighborhood. I was concerned when we drove up to it and sure enough, our car was broken into overnight. When I told the owner she appeared vaguely surprised, said this had never happened before, but made no effort to call the police - beware! In addition, it was $180 for one night, for a very cramped room. Breakfast was good but the owner had dissapeared and we could not get additional service. Keep looking...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank amber72
I am very sorry for what happened to this guest. I was very surprised when she told me because it had not happened in the previous 5 years that we have owned the Inn.

She seemed like she wanted to get going to her appointment at a local college, which is why I hesitated to call the police. I did call the police after she left and they told me only the owner of the car could make the report.

In any event, we have added extra lighting and security surveillance cameras to our off-street parking area.

The room that this guest occupied measures 15X17 plus a full bathroom and small walk-in closet.

I am sorry that this guest had other service requests after breakfast that I was not available to help with. I usually am available to assist guests until they check-out, but apparently was not on this particular day. I will be sure to ask one of my assistants to be available if I need to leave the front desk after breakfast has been served.

Rita Sleys (owner and innkeeper)
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

From this inn's website, you cannot tell that it is located on one of the busiest streets in Utica. Being from California, I was not familiar with Utica, but now that I've been there, I can honestly say I didn't find anything about it that would make want to return. The inn is in a questionable part of town, and I do not recommend walking around at night. In fact, there was some screaming on the street just outside the inn one night, and sirens going by every night we were there.

The food was excellent, the house is indeed lovely, and the innkeepers are very nice. However, this inn lacks any sense of friendliness or cozy charm that I look for in a B&B. Furniture is beautiful antiques, none of which are comfortable to sit on. Beds are very firm, which is not comfortable for me, so I didn't sleep well at all.

Be aware that the innkeepers have 6 children who are free to come and go at all times. They live on the third floor of the house, with all guest rooms on the 2nd floor. So, you will hear kids bouncing up and down the stairs, making kid noise, etc. If that's the sort of atmosphere you are looking for in a B&B, you won't find it a problem, but I was surprised by the noise level inside the house. Also, since the innkeepers home-school the children, they are not as accessible as you will find in most B&Bs. On the plus side, I must say that they were very helpful in helping us locate a laundromat, and in trying to meet guest needs if any request was made. My complaints are the location, uncomfortable bed, and noise level in the house. If you come, bring ear plugs.

Side note: We had lunch at a great diner in nearby Rome, and when the waitress asked where we stayed, we said Utica. Her reply: "Why?" Indeed...!

• Liked — Nice innkeepers, great breakfasts
  • Disliked — location, bed, noise
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank AuntRocky
cape cod
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2007

We stayed one night while traveling through New York. It was delightful. We would definitely stay again. Great breakfast, lovely accomodations.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank anniegirlCapeCod