“A Bosnian owner, but Utica Italian menu”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Utica, New York
“A Bosnian owner, but Utica Italian menu”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

The atmosphere and service in this restaurant make dinner here a pleasant experience. The portions are very large and it's hard to imagine that anyone could actually finish a meal, especially if an appetizer and dessert are ordered. Many of the dishes are served in a rich cream sauce which makes them even more filling. The restaurant misses gourmet status by using iceberg lettuce in the salads, though the waiter assured us that one could request romaine or spinach instead. If I should go again I would be more careful in what I ordered.

Wynantskill, New York
“Can't wait to go here again!”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

One of my colleagues took me here for dinner. I happen to love chicken marsala. This was the best I have ever eaten, and I was so glad to have a cooler with me to take home the leftovers. The portion was huge. I'd order potatoes with it next time. Pasta with sauce just did not go with the entrée. No room for dessert, but I may stop in on my next trip down the Thruway, just for fun. Thank goodness for GPS. This place is hard to find, but a real gem. Try it. You will love it.

• Visited April 2014
Colorado
“Excellent!”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We went to Ambassadors tonight, there were 8 of us. We all ordered something different and we all loved what we got! I got the lamb special and its was cooked to perfection and the best I've had. My husband had the pork and said the same thing, excellent. The staff was super friendly and the service was superb! They treated us like family, we had so much fun. The owner/cook came to our table to talk at the end of our meal and that was such a special touch! The portions were very generous including the appitizers which were delicious! We were too full for dessert but they brought a slice of oreo fudge cheese cake to my neice, it was her birthday, it was 6 inches tall and enough for all 8 of us to eat!
We will defiantly be returning to the Ambassador!! Well done!!

New Hartford, NY
“Great food and service”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We have been here several times and the food has always been consistent. My favorite is the Chicken Sergio. They have many specials. Don't know how they do it! But we always feel warm and welcomed by the staff. It is very old school inside, reminiscent of the old Alpine Restaurant.
The owner is always considerate of his patrons. Usually offers an after dinner drink...nice touch!

Whitesboro, New York
“A Reborn Local Favorite”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The Ambassador Restaurant has resurrected a favorite Utica dining location. Formerly, the Alpine East, this place has been a staple for great food for decades. New operators have breathed fresh life into the restaurant and kept it thriving.

When we first heard of The Ambassador, people kept saying that the service is very strong. Over and over, people mentioned the service. During our visit, there was some sort of mix-up between the hostess and the waitress. We were seated and not addressed for 30 minutes. I believe this was an anomaly and not, at all typical. The hostess, waitress, and owner all addressed the error and were very cordial.

Decor is very old school. This makes the experience kind of cool as it feels like you've stepped back in time.

The menu is typical Utica, NY Italian - with a good range of items. The food was prepared fairly nicely. No real complaints, but not exceptional. For example, my wife's fish was watery and lacking in the taste/flavor department.

Everyone we know who has been to The Ambassador raves about it. So, our experience was not typical.

I would return.