“my new favorite!”

The Tailor and The Cook
Reserve with OpenTable
The Tailor and The Cook is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 184 Restaurants in Utica
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The Tailor and the Cook is one of the brightest spots in Utica's already rich Culinary nightlife. Attentive service and a comfortable atmosphere support provocative cuisine produced with the finest local products, whenever possible. The management of The Tailor and the Cook is devoted to offering their clientele great food and a path to the farmers and producers who make it happen. The relationship between the food we eat and where it is produced is of growing concern to many. The Tailor and the Cook brings the many bounties of CNY's rich Agriculture to the forefront, giving the public the opportunity to know where there food comes from and how it is produced. Featuring Local Product whenever possible, menus change based on seasonality, freshness, and availability of local goods. A rich and generous selection of Beer, Wine, and Spirits round out the Culinary Package.
New Hartford, New York
“my new favorite!”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

ambiance is wonderful... food is exceptional! local, fresh.... ambiance is incredible... and many of the cocktails are unique and delicious... service was excellent... this is my New favorite restaurant in Utica! .. truly an absolutely wonderful experience!!!!

Portland, Maine
“Farm to Table, Finest in Utica”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

This is one of the finest dining experiences you'll have in Utica. The Tailor and The Cook is an intimate, small, locally sourced bistro that is full of charm and grace. From the photographs of Snowy Owls on the wall, to the open kitchen, to the barkeeper in his traditional form, everything here is art. What comes on your plate will be appropriately small portions, inventively paired and beautifully presented with most of the ingredients coming from local farms, in season.

The staff are superbly trained and gracious. The Chef will always entertain your questions and comments and he'll keep your palate guessing. His food is to be savored, lingered over, talked about and remembered. You may order something that's completely foreign to you and be surprised at how much you like it. Or you may order an old favorite and be surprised by Chefs twist on it. Either way, you'll adore every bite.

This is the perfect place for an intimate first date where the tin ceiling, the exposed brick and the industrial-chic lighting will enliven your senses and set the tone for the evening. Or for a small celebration where you can feel like the whole place is there just for you. And it's an amazing place to go alone, sit at the bar and enjoy the distinctive craft cocktails and friendly conversation with like-minded, and like-palate-ed, people. Dinner is served at the bar only on Wednesday and Thursday nights, so plan accordingly.

Your bartender will be able to answer any questions and come up with a variation on your favorite, no matter what it is. Give him a drink genre and let him run with it. Half the fun is watching him work. Your server will be able to tell you the lineage of everything on your plate and guide you through any allergies or food restrictions with ease.

Attention to detail is what makes The Tailor and The Cook so special, in any setting, even more so in Central Upstate New York. From the motion sensor that turns on the light in the ladies room for me as I walk down the hall, to the extra piece of wood from the bartop they keep around so you can guess the tree source, to the full "carte de digestive" to finish the night, all of it is thoughtfully crafted.

You'll spend some money here, because it's worth it. You'll tip well, because they're worth it. And you'll come back again, because you love it.

Hollywood
“Still not inpressed”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We again tried this retaurant recently. I can understand the rave reviews by locals because by comparison Utica has very few upscale eateries. That is not to say I consider this restaurant upscale. Yes the service folks are very good but for me thats where it ends. We ordered appetizers (which were small and lackluster). My steak which I ordered medium was well done and when I informed our server he proceeded to patronizingly explain the differences between rare, medium, etc. My wifes fish was a little dry and didnt have much flavor. At one point during eating a server asked if we could help her move our table a little so she could seat the couple at the adjacent table. Really? The tables are too close together and for the food prices they could eliminate a few of them and still turn a profit. We were seated by the open kitchen and as before the smoke from cooking quickly fills the restaurant. This restaurant is trying too hard to be trendy with its small portions, supposedly artful presentations, dim lighting and high prices. But for those who crave all flash and little substance this may be the place for you. There are better places to dine for the money. . .

4 Thank Airfoils
Utica, New York
“Best Meal World Wide!”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I took my wife and daughter here for dinner. My daughter has lived in London, China and all over Europe. She said this is her favorite place to eat world wide. Amazing to get food like this in Utica, NY. I won't bore you with the particulars of our meal, I'll just tell you the ingredients are locally grown and served perfectly. Ten minutes off the NYS Thruway exit 31, stop in for a foodie treat.

• Visited August 2014
Fly Creek, New York
“GOOD NEWS AND BAD”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

What a mysterious name this Utica restaurant has.
Was one of the chefs once a tailor? Certainly there is a dressmaker's dummy visible as you enter the long narrow 1800s brick building, now decorated in a darkly contemporary way.
And that isn't the only mystery this place has to offer.
The menu is full of quirky wonders, for a start.
We shared a Moroccan-vibe grilled lamb merguez sausage served over hummus, dandelion greens, and pickled ramps. It was fantastic!
My husband next ordered the pan-roasted flat iron steak with Jacob's cattle beans, posole, shitake mushrooms, and chimichuri. What an astonishing array of sides to accompany a steak -- and it all tasted divine.
This is what lifts the restaurant above the averagely good Utica restaurant.
I ordered the grilled veal chop from Gaia's Breath Farm, served with roasted Greyrock Farms potatoes, grilled whole scallions (all the green stalk intact, a signature idiosyncrasy at this restaurant), oven dried tomato chutney, and Jacob's cattle beans. The beans were not on the menu, but I wanted them instead of the advertised arugola and they're good about special requests here.
My chop was delicious, although it might have been a touch too well done. Everything else was fabulous, except for two tiny and rather burnt potatoes.
My husband next chose the Affogato dessert (it's not true that the chefs serve no Italian food here): espresso over Jones family farm vanilla sheep's milk gelato, and a tasty little cinnamon shortbread on the side. He loved it.
I ordered the more lavish Jones family farm cheesecake, made with Kuyahoora cows' milk cheese, a walnut and graham crust, and delectable fresh strawberries. I would highly recommend that cheesecake: it's outstanding.
We loved the chef's offering at the start of the meal of two little glasses of beet/strawberry gazpacho.
And we loved the little cookies he sent us at the end of the meal.
My "Seam Ripper" (hewing to the tailor theme) cocktail was fine. And our sparkling rose wine was excellent.
Here is what we didn't like: first, the maitre d' tried to show us to a tiny table squeezed between two large group tables, even though we had specifically requested a quiet and private table when we booked.
Of course, it is impossible to book such a table here, since the restaurant is crowded,with tables packed closely together. We asked to be seated on the other side of the restaurant, in a corner next to the bar. It was better because there were no large group tables alongside.
But you can always sit outside on the potted plant patio.
Second, there was NO BREAD BASKET on our table. A server appeared and produced a single HALF SLICE of bread in a pair of tongs! That would have been our lot, had we not asked for another slice. But I felt a bit like Dickens's Oliver at the Workhouse, in asking for more.
Third, when our bill came at the end of a mostly superb dining experience, my husband discovered that we had been billed an EXTRA $30 for three drinks we had never ordered and never drank!
Now that will really leave a bad taste in your mouth.

1 Thank sylvandiva