“Better than wonderful!”

The Tailor and The Cook
Reserve with OpenTable
The Tailor and The Cook is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 184 Restaurants in Utica
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The Tailor and the Cook is one of the brightest spots in Utica's already rich Culinary nightlife. Attentive service and a comfortable atmosphere support provocative cuisine produced with the finest local products, whenever possible. The management of The Tailor and the Cook is devoted to offering their clientele great food and a path to the farmers and producers who make it happen. The relationship between the food we eat and where it is produced is of growing concern to many. The Tailor and the Cook brings the many bounties of CNY's rich Agriculture to the forefront, giving the public the opportunity to know where there food comes from and how it is produced. Featuring Local Product whenever possible, menus change based on seasonality, freshness, and availability of local goods. A rich and generous selection of Beer, Wine, and Spirits round out the Culinary Package.
Utica
“Better than wonderful!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

An old building , keeping the appearances with live able modern facilities. Brick walls, high ceilings of pipes & ducts. Long & narrow . Very friendly staff who want you to leave feeling you were their most important customer. Food is very fresh & prepared with fresh ideas & tastes. Great combinations of food & spices. Ready to accommodate any food allergies . Really a dining experience! No one rushes you. Meal is served leisurely. Reservations are a must.
Rather loud.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Sandra Z

Houston, Texas
“One of the best of its kind”
Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Surprised that I hadn't done a review of this one yet, as it is a real favorite. It is a wonderful example of the farm to table kind, as the owners want to locate and support the best local producers. It shows on the plate. We were in the area to visit our daughter who is at a nearby college, and took her and a friend there. Our server (Melissa) couldn't have been better. My starter of house made lamb sausage on a bed of vegetables was great, with field peas and cubed sweet potatoes on crispy kale. One thing you find here is that vegetables are never an afterthought. They are always interesting. Good wine list with a number of NY producers represented. We will be back on our next trip.

3 Thank Robert A
Middlebury, Connecticut, USA
“Elegant Urban Direct From The Farm”
Reviewed April 9, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We visited 'The Tailor and The Cook' for a late-night post-concert desert and were greeted with enthusiastic friendliness, immediate excellent service, and a menu derived from the delectable dairies around Utica. Plenty of free parking right outside; the atmosphere inside is urban chic but country comfortable. Authentic affogato and The Jones Family Farm Cheese Cake may be the best In New York, Brooklyn included. Let Utica pleasantly surprise you as it did us.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Walter P
Whitesboro, New York
“Exquisite!”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Not being one for superlatives, I find myself in somewhat unfamiliar territory.

My wife and I have dined at The Tailor And The Cook before, so we knew what to expect. In fact, our past experiences were exactly why we selected this restaurant as the place to celebrate a major milestone. What we really love about this place is their surprises. But, let's go in order.

BOOKING: simple and convenient - done online right from their website. No surprises. I like the fact that we received both an electronic confirmation, then a day later, a phone confirmation by a real human being!

GREETING: fast and friendly. No waiting. Very efficient.

WAIT STAFF: very friendly and warm. Since many ingredients and creations are a little "unusual" (at least to me), I occasionally need things explained. The staff was so kind while being very informative. I learned a lot. They stop by often enough, but not too much. Just right.

FOOD: This is where things get exciting. Meals at The Tailor And The Cook are more like "experiences". Honestly, I can't recall how many courses were served - and I'm just talking about the appetizers. From the extensive cheese plate, to the fried capers and black radish, to the cubed turnip plate, to the pork cheek-mushroom-leek, to the salad, we were astonished before the main course arrived. Each appetizer was very creative, locally-sourced, surprisingly tasty, and quite interesting. The appetizers, alone, stunned us, and would have had us gushing about this place to our friends.

But, that was just the warm-up. Our main courses (in our case, they were items selected from the St. Patrick's Day special menu) were intriguing, unique, and very creative. My wife is a great cook, so we eat very well at home. We don't go out for "good" food. However, when it comes to The Tailor And The Cook, we DO go out for the food - and the culinary adventure. From the spices, to the interesting combinations and pairings, to the presentation, this place delights us. There is truly a surprise around every corner.

When it was time for dessert, we couldn't resist ordering their hand-made vanilla gelato (to compare it to some excellent gelato that we had just enjoyed in Sarasota). Well. it was fabulous, and a wee bit curious. We learned that it was made with goat's milk! Fabulous! So unique. And, we also ordered cherry cheesecake, made with locally-produced ingredients. Wow! So good. In fact, I found myself pushing away the cherry topping so I could appreciate the base cheesecake. That says a lot!

So, we were done. And, we were full! But, the chefs weren't done. Just as we were pushing back from the table, we were presented with more tasty treats. More playful creations by the geniuses in the kitchen. Wow!

With every course I said to my wife, "THIS is why I come here!" I must have said that 10 times throughout the evening.

We walked out the door, and, because we are in Utica, took the 8 steps to our car, and drove home extremely satisfied - planning our next meal at The Tailor And The Cook.

Don't go here with people who won't appreciate extremely thoughtful meals as it will be wasted on them, and they just won't understand why your eyes are rolling and you can't speak. But, if you want to impress a client, a date, or a fellow foody, this is THE place in Oneida County to make that powerful impression.

• Visited March 2014
6 Thank Rick S
Utica, New York
“Nice evening with beautiful presentation”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

A dinner for four in a beautifully restored space. Service was superb with distinctive preparation style. My entree was a bit over-sauced IMO and my wife (two weeks later) can't remember what her entree was... so not sufficiently memorable. On the very professional side of life, the filet mignon ordered by one of our guests was cooked incorrectly (medium well rather than rare -- just a human mistake). But the server took the filet back, brought another, and that diner's meal was comped. Perfect resolution & exceptional service. We'd go again, certainly. Nice place with varied menu. Recommend that you get reservations.

• Visited February 2014

Been to The Tailor and The Cook? Share your experiences!