“Not my cup of tea”

The Tailor and The Cook
Reserve with OpenTable
The Tailor and The Cook is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 183 Restaurants in Utica
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The Tailor and the Cook is one of the brightest spots in Utica's already rich Culinary nightlife. Attentive service and a comfortable atmosphere support provocative cuisine produced with the finest local products, whenever possible. The management of The Tailor and the Cook is devoted to offering their clientele great food and a path to the farmers and producers who make it happen. The relationship between the food we eat and where it is produced is of growing concern to many. The Tailor and the Cook brings the many bounties of CNY's rich Agriculture to the forefront, giving the public the opportunity to know where there food comes from and how it is produced. Featuring Local Product whenever possible, menus change based on seasonality, freshness, and availability of local goods. A rich and generous selection of Beer, Wine, and Spirits round out the Culinary Package.
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I thought that the food would actually fill me up but it didn't. The meals are not compatible with the sides they offer. The salad was not fresh. The bread was amazing As well as the sweet butter. I think it's great that they put water on ur table and u can refill ur water as much as you'd like. But the food just wasn't me. Sheep cheese and sweet/salty cabbage with vinger on the side of a fillet. I was not happy with the bill being so expensive but still being hungry.

5  Thank Selma_Mekic

Reviewed May 3, 2013

This was not our first time at Tailor and the Cook. However, it had been a while since out last visit. Overall, we were pleased with out experience. Our main courses (hanger steak and gnocchi) were both cooked well with an interesting but delicious combination of ingredients. For a week night it was quite loud making conversation tough. The smokiness from the open kitchen was much better this time as compared to when we visited prior. This was a great improvement.

There were a few things we found to be a bit awkward.. not game changers... Just awkward:
- Perhaps they're not meant to share, but 3 scallops to be shared between 2 people as an appetizer seems odd. I know this is probably picky.
- Also, each entree comes with bread and a house salad. Both were delicious. We found it strange that the bread is delivered and served to each patron as a single slice. One slice. Per person. And you have to ask if you'd like another single slice. We were not there for the bread (although delicious) so this was ok. It is a decent wait for entrees and I think some people may enjoy more than one slice. We just found it odd. Unless that's how it's done in fancy restaurants and I'm just not used to frequenting them...

In general, we enjoyed ourselves. It is a pricey night that's for sure but the food is always good and not something you'd find at every place in Utica. Worth trying and returning to every now and then.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I don’t believe that I have ever seen a restaurant so consistently and enthusiastically positively reviewed on TA, particularly a new restaurant. With high expectations, family members and I made a reservation well in advance for an adventure.

The restaurant is located in a row of stores in a “challenged” part of the city. It was easy to find, and parking was plentiful. We were greeted warmly into this long, narrow restaurant, which of necessity has tables fairly close together. We sat at the table closest to the hostess stand, and when I looked to my left I felt like she was sitting with us at the table. Too close for my taste. The kitchen is open, and contained within the dining room, which made it VERY smoky. This dissipated with some time.

We noticed the bartender “muddling” mint, and immediately were in the mood for a mojito. They were well made, refreshing, and reasonably priced. While on the subject of alcohol, the wine list is deep, with both 3 oz. tastes and 5 oz. glasses available in many wines. The bottles are very reasonably priced. It is nice to see so many NY wines on the menu, albeit more whites than reds as would be expected. The beer list is broad and eclectic, filled with microbrews and arranged by state, a nice touch. Many Utica beers are prominently featured.

The menu is extremely complex and thoughtful, two qualities which are appreciated and unusual. There is a huge emphasis on local products, not just produce, but meats and cheeses as well. The menu is somewhat difficult to decipher, with terms such as “broiled Lorenzo” and “fiddleheads” leading to some questions. Fortunately our server was great, ready to answer any questions. She was attentive, and knew the menu extremely well. She readily gave advice on her favorites.

We started with appetizers, specifically the “broiled Lorenzo”, a sheeps’ milk cheese that the waitress honestly and helpfully described as “stinky.” She was correct, but also it was as she described. The chewy pungent cheese was served on a bed of potatoes which did “cushion” the flavor. Delicious tangy cornichons, dark well pickled whole small onions and a wonderful sweet fig chutney accompanied. As with much of the food that evening, it was “delicious and unusual.” The antipasto plate was not ordinary in any sense. Again with emphasis on the local, a wonderful variety of unusual meats and cheeses served on a flat plate with flatbread. Lastly, pan seared scallops served with vinaigrette and most curiously a “scallion and citrus picada”. I have never seen picada on a menu before….I am not sure that this was truly picada, which must contain almonds and bread. It may have been, and if so even more compliments are due. Again, a word such as this on the menu just points to the work, inventiveness and complexity.

It was a very busy night, which was great to see, however the service was slow. Sitting was certainly not unpleasant. Several of the party had steaks, which I thought were strips, however the menu online says hangar. One of my companions complained of some fat, but overall there were positive comments. Most impressively the three steaks were all ordered done to different degrees, and even on this very busy night they were done perfectly. Another of the party had the Moroccan Chicken, done in accordance with the cuisine with raisins, couscous with capers and lemon. The chicken was from a local farm. I had the Arctic char, a wonderful fish which is not served widely enough. The fish was pink/orange and extremely well cooked, tender yet meaty. Again, another testament to this menu, it was served with “starch and vegetable”, however in this case the starch was a quinoa and black currant salad, and the vegetable shallot and hibiscus confit. A wonderful “pea shoot pesto” made the plate more colorful and was great on the mild fish.

I have given you a lot of reasons to love this place …..the small things and touches can be just as important. In this case the menu continued to impress with the dessert and coffee, specifically the three different varieties of brewed coffee, arranged in order of potency. French pressed coffee sometimes sounds better than it is, and in this case the coffee could have been much warmer. The Ethiopian coffee was slightly bitter, in a good way. Strong, and a great way to end the meal, along with….

DESSERT! “Purity” ice cream was served, and it was only later that I found out that this is from Ithaca, “the ice cream of the finger lakes since 1936.” There was a generous serving of vanilla, creamy, however the taste that I had was icy. Very accommodatingly, chocolate sauce was provided to one of the party that is a sundae addict. The cheesecake was again made from local cheese…..it was substantial and creamy, but much too sweet for my taste. The crust was graham cracker with walnuts, sweetened I believe, and the butterscotch Frangelico on top put it over the glycemic top for me. It was not finished. The apricot bread pudding was nothing outstanding…..too dry for my taste. Many other desserts were calling to us….berry sorbet and buttermilk panna cotta were a couple of the tempting selections.

We passed on after dinner drinks, but again, so tempting. When was the last time that you saw “Meade” on a menu? When was “Beowolf” written? Muscat, Madeira….great menu.

We will be back. The two chef owners deserve a LOT of credit. The work and imagination that went into the concept and the execution is obvious and impressive. The commitment to local products is refreshing and admirable. This is a restaurant which is like few that are seen outside of major metropolitan areas. I hope it is recognized, and they prosper. When will the Summer menu be out? ☺

2  Thank Rhapsodyinblue
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Small place with very few tables. Food was wonderful and service was the best in this area. Very knowledgeable staff and local ingredients. Wonderful experience!

2  Thank msheri
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband an I dined at the Tailor and The Cook on a Saturday night. Absolutely above average cuisine for the immediate area and any other area. Unique style, excellent presentation from appetizer to dessert. We had the Arctic char and the NY Strip. Both were wonderful. Jim, our server was excellent with a vast knowledge of the origin of the local food sources. Tip: call or go online well in advance for a reservation!

1  Thank LindaMS-60

Been to The Tailor and The Cook? Share your experiences!