WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Utica
Easton, Maryland
“bad from the start”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

tried to change from 1 bed to 2 the day after I booked but clerk couldn't understand what I wanted.Told her our adult son decided to travel with us and we needed 2 beds smoking room.She finally agreed to find me a room with 2 beds.When we arrived 3 days later there was no change to my resv. ,they ended giving a nonsmoking 2 bed .They brought us an ashtray and said we could smoke.Half an hour later they called to say they didn't know there was 3 in the room and to say we now could not smoke.Windows dirty, Wifi did not work, and cont.brkft consisted of bread,bagels and coffee.No juice,fruit,tea or sweets. Never anyone at the desk unless you rung the bell. Overall an uncomfortable, unfriendly place will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank lyle f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

We headed toward the red roof in Utica but it was sold out at 11 pm on a Thursday. Decided to try Scottish inn bc we'd never stayed at one. For 60 bucks it was fine for a night. It's older but the room was clean. The mattress on the king bed was a softer ie cheaper type but fine. AC is a small unit in wall but it cooled well. The room carpet and bathroom floor were newer. There is no toiletries provided except small soap. The worst things are the towels, the small scratchy type and the hallway which is badly in need of new carpet.
Overall it met my need of a clean but cheap place to sleep for a night.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank BGonrhego
Erie, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Had made reservations to stay 1 night and after seeing the lobby, asked to see rooms. King room was dingy, dank and disgusting. Queen room was a little better but we opted not to stay there. Manager wanted to charge for 2 rooms for 2 nights because we didn't cancel 2 days in advance. I had made reservation just about 8 hrs earlier and in the end paid a 1x $10 fee. Manager said she knew when we walked in that we wouldn't want to stay there.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Mary C
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

We stayed at the Scottish Inn in Utica because we booked fairly last minute and it was the least expensive I could find. I was fairly worried since some of the other reviews had a fair mixture of good and bad. I can say my bed was very comfortable and the room and bathroom was clean. This is an older hotel and we could hear the people in the room above us walking around the room, I slept well though since the bed was comfortable and spacious (it was a king size). The internet was supposed to be free, but we couldn't get it to work for any length of time. We arrived late and the parking lot was crowded, but there was still a space available for us. The people at the hotel next door seemed kind of sketchy, I think they were outside smoking (it was a Saturday night) and I thought I smelled an odor of marijuana in the air in the parking lot. The hotel worker at the front desk was nice, but she let it be known that she was upset that we were arriving late and had not called ahead. She had already charged the cardIi had reserved the room with even though I only used that card to reserve the room and didn't want the full charge to be made on that card. She then had to do a refund in order to have the room charged to the correct credit card. I wasn't thrilled that my credit card number that I had reserved the room with was randomly written on a piece of scrap paper. In the overall scheme of things all of the negatives that are listed above were pretty minor. If staying in the area again, I would shop around, to see if I could get a lower rate somewhere else, but if not, I would stay here again. In the end nothing bad happened and the room was clean and comfortable. The hotel was very near to the freeway and although they had a small breakfast spread, we opted to go to a nearby restaurant for breakfast.

Room Tip: Maybe try an upper floor so you don't hear the people moving int he room above.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Fodens_chick
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

Similar to a previous poster I ran into the dishonest proprietor even thought I never stayed at the hotel. I booked through the number on the Trip Advisor link which turned out to be expedia and was assured that I could cancel the res with no penalty up to 3PM on the day of the Res.

When I called the hotel at 2PM to cancel they gave me a hard time and told me that I had to cancel through expedia. I explained that due to hurricane Irene there was no way to get though to expedia they said they did not care and were charging me nearly half the cost as a "cancellation fee". I kicked and screamed - she offered to charge me only $20 - thinking that this was some kind of negotiation.

I now have the two charges on my credit card and have to go through the hassle of getting the refund. Without getting into it too deep - they are dishonest. Book another hotel.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank marcharry
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

I am giving Scottish inn the lowest score in customer service. We had our reservation online and we called the hotel, and talked with this Indian lady to verify the type of room. Supposedly all were set... now, we travelled all the way from New York City only to find out that the reservation was misleading. It was a long hours travel. She claimed she haven't talked to us... The 2 Indians in the reception are big liars, arrogant, not accomodating... So watch out! OMG!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank lgcale
vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2010

I was in Utica due to a family medical emergency. Got this room online thru orbitz at $45.00 a night. I figured ok, it wouldt be much & I knew I wasn't going to be there very much anyway. My lack of expectations was even shocked at how bad this place was. I believe that orbitz states that you get a free continental breakfast. Well...Orbitz forgot to verify this information. You get nothing. They do have a coffee maker (no pot), a toaster & a microwave in the "lobby", so I thought that is where breakfast would be. Next morning, nothing out there. Nothing there the next morning either.
The hallway... smells like cigarette smoke. VERY overwhelming. At least room 103 didn't smell like it.
Want shampoo? NOPE. All you get is soap.
Remote for the TV? yep, they have one, but it didn't work.
High Speed internet access? supposedly, but I couldn't connect.
I wouldn't stay here again even for $30.00 a night.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo